Returning to Cycling after 16 Years

Psamathe

Re: Returning to Cycling after 16 Years

Post by Psamathe »

I've never done one and have no experience of them (but others on the forum are instructors) - have you looked into Bikeability(?) courses? The name (which I may have got wrong anyway) is pretty well all I know but others have recommended them in the past. I'm sure they might help with confidence on the roads as well as thinks like selecting gears, etc.

Ian
LittleGreyCat

Post by LittleGreyCat »

kncowans wrote: 29 May 2023, 5:34pm Hello

Thanks for the Reply.

Honestly, I think that I may just have been in too High of a Gear which quickly depleted my Leg Strength.

The Bike I had previously had 3 x Chainrings and a 7 Gear Casette, this New Bike has 1 x Chainring and a 10 Gear Casette.

I think I need more Time to discover which Gears on the New Bike are best for certain scenarios.

Thanks

Kevin
A safe starting point would be to ride in the middle of the gear range and pedal very gently.
Cadence is the thing you should be looking at.
Not "uh...uh...uh" but "tik tok tik tok tik tok" without any strain.
If it feels slightly too easy then that is probably about right.

I note you said that you started cramping up but rode through it then your legs quit on you.
The cramping up was probably a hint that you were over working your muscles.
Better to stop for a rest and stretch out your muscles to clear the cramp then start off again very gently.

Best of luck.
kncowans

Post by kncowans »

Hello

Thanks for the Reply and the Advice, much appreciated.

I hope that I can get used to Cycling again as it will really help my overall Health.

Kevin
briansnail

Post by briansnail »

Go Go Go.................

1- Forget the faster cyclists who pass you by.I get passed but reflect how happy I make them.

2- You will be slow for the first 15 mins.Warm up muscles ,heart,lungs slowly especially in Winter.

3-Join a club and buy nice cycling kit and layer in winter.

4- I have 5 bikes but I but 2nd hand.Simplicity is good.In my club people spend thousands some like me are more restrained.Have fun.

5-Get a rack and hit trails.Why risk life and limb on busy roads (unless you have good cycle lanes)

6- Porridge fruit and veg eat as much as you want.
I ride Brompton and a 100% British Vintage