How to plan a canal route?

Trips, adventures, bikes, equipment, etc.
Sooper8

Re: How to plan a canal route?

Post by Sooper8 »

Thanks for info. As I mentioned above in an edit, I can get the gravel option on the web site version of it, so no problem

In fact, another route I am looking at (Erewash canal) is plotted by Richard F.

Thanks all
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Yikes... tough question, that! There's so many variables that don't make it to a map. Mainly to do with the condition of the tow-path - on the assumption that it's actually there in the first place!
I recall having been caught out by i) swing bridges padlocked open where I wanted to cross the canal ii) tow-path seriously overgrown (typically in May/June) iii) tow-path narrow and subsided iv) tow-path too muddy / rutted. That's just four examples of stuff that's has impeded my own progress of a ride. I'm sure others can think of more.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

Angling competitions are a Sunday obstruction here. It’s surprising how much gear a bloke needs to catch a pound of tiddlers over a twelve-hour stretch, how long their poles are, and how it becomes a pointless exercise trying to cycle when there is a guy sting on a fishing box every ten yards for a mile.

I’m not knocking them, they have a hobby too, it’s just that on a yard wide path the two hobbies really don’t work very well together.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Angling competitions are a Sunday obstruction here.
Forgot about them... how long does a carp pole have to be??
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
mjr

Post by mjr »

Nearholmer wrote: 30 May 2023, 7:44am A final caveat on all OSM-based apps, including komoot: some of the underlying coding of routes is wrong. I live in Milton Keynes, and the coding of the very complex path network here is “all over the place”, so OSM-based apps come up with very circuitous routes. This is a function of an ‘open source’ system, reliant on users to correct any errors they find …… it just takes ‘forever’ for users to correct very dense and complex areas.
It's also a function of the national route numbering authority (Sustrans) picking very indirect routes there to meet their goal of maximum population coverage with minimum route miles, the regional numbering authority (MK Council) not bothering with regional route numbers, and the local route numbers (V4, V6, H2, H4, ...) mostly not being maintained and not completely entered into OSM yet.

It's a bit of a special case, like London, which will need some work to improve in routing apps. Cycle.travel does better at it than most, correctly using V6 instead of sticking to NCN 6 for a Leighton Buzzard to Hanslope ride.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

I keep feeling that I ought to properly learn editing and really crack into it, especially all the mis-coding of the various types of paths as footpaths, when they are shared-use, but I’ve already got two hobbies, a busy family life, and a smattering of paid work despite being nominally retired ….., later maybe!
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

I've put in nominal start and finish points on RidewithGPS and it suggested this route :-
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/43090481
Now how much of it suits I don't know. Currently 42 miles.
If it was a route for me I would study / edit using the 'Map, Hybrid & OSMcycle' settings. (top right box).
In edit mode and bottom right there is the "little orange man" and this positioned on a road brings up Google street maps which shows a picture of the road. Sometimes this also works on towpaths etc' but unfortunately not always.
The OSMcycle mapping also shows NCR routes which may be helpful ?
You may have to sign up to RWGPS but there is a free version which I use.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

I keep feeling that I ought to properly learn editing and really crack into it
Steady on! A slippery slope... rather like some tow-paths I've encountered! :lol:
S
Sooper8

Post by Sooper8 »

cycleruk wrote: 30 May 2023, 2:11pm I've put in nominal start and finish points on RidewithGPS and it suggested this route :-
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/43090481
Now how much of it suits I don't know. Currently 42 miles.
If it was a route for me I would study / edit using the 'Map, Hybrid & OSMcycle' settings. (top right box).
In edit mode and bottom right there is the "little orange man" and this positioned on a road brings up Google street maps which shows a picture of the road. Sometimes this also works on towpaths etc' but unfortunately not always.
The OSMcycle mapping also shows NCR routes which may be helpful ?
You may have to sign up to RWGPS but there is a free version which I use.
Many thanks for that, much appreciated - I will sit down with a cuppa later and study it
julian

Post by julian »

Some canals (eg Forth & Clyde, Union, Bridgewater) are part of Sustrans network: their website often gives accurate surface/ route info, eg Glasgow -Edinburgh 95% tarmac towpaths.
freiston

Post by freiston »

Canal towpath cycling is something I intend to do more of - particularly with overnights and "wild" camping/bivvying and so this thread caught my eye.

One thing I would add is that it might be an idea to get a RADAR key for gates - there are a few barriers that I've come across that would be difficult to negotiate, especially if loaded up with gear, unless you can open the gate. Also, a Canal and River Trust key will give you access to some facilities, such as toilets and showers.
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
deeferdonk

Post by deeferdonk »

a bit of local knowledge. I quite often cycle along the canal from Wychnor near burton to Rugely, so part of the route would probably coincide with yours. Parts of it - particularly where i get on it at Wychnor are not surfaced and are muddy/grassy and quite sketchy - i avoid taking this route during winter or when it is particularly wet. But when the ground is dry its a lovely cycle, and a bit further on where the towpath has been recently surfaced you can make decent progress.

i think you can usually get a good idea which towpath has a decent surface or which is just mud from looking at the aerial photos on google earth and then planning accordingly to the conditions and your type of bike etc.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

For Norhern canals try this website. It has pictorial virtual cruises along many canals. Although aimed at boaters the canalside path is usually seen in the pictures. It'll give you a good idea of the surface.

http://www.penninewaterways.co.uk/index.htm
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker