Raleigh max air advice please

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Bobtaildisco

Raleigh max air advice please

Post by Bobtaildisco »

Hi all.
I am new on here and have signed up hopefully for a bit of advice please.
I have pulled my old raleigh max air out of the shed after about 15 years and realised why I put it away, after 100s of miles there is a lot of play in everything! and now brakes and gears are seized.
I have got the gears free and tightened up the crank bearings and wheel bearings (I will be rebuilding them) but the biggest problem atm is the play in the frame at the pivot point for the rear suspension. Could anyone advise what to do about this please. I have looked online for a exploded diagram to see what I am looking at but can't find one.
Thanks Rob
gregoryoftours

Re: Raleigh max air advice please

Post by gregoryoftours »

Raleigh Max air is very cheap for a bike, especially a full suspension bike, none of the pivot parts are available as spares so you can't replace them when they wear.

In any case I would not be surprised if there was significant play in the frame pivots from new as they're made to very poor tolerances and use nylon bushings. Make sure that all of the pivot bolts are nipped up properly and ride it as is.

Any amount of money spent on this bike would be better going towards another new or second hand bike, unfortunately this is one of those referred to as 'bike shaped objects' that don't fulfill the basic functions of a bike very well at all! Avoid full suspension unless spending serious money.
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

Bobtaildisco wrote: 30 May 2023, 9:59am Could anyone advise what to do about this please.
Take the whole bike to the tip.
Throw it in the skip.

Honestly, it was a cheap bike when it was brand new - now, at 15-20 years old and seized/rusted to bits, there is zero chance of finding any spares (and I'm not even sure any of it was rebuildable anyway).

You'd save a lot of time, effort and money just putting it straight in the scrap then looking at a new (or secondhand) bike that's in workable condition.
Bobtaildisco

Post by Bobtaildisco »

Hi.
Thanks for the replys I feared this might be the case.
I have seen a couple of giants for sale 2nd hand there is a trance and a anthem but ideally bit out of budget.
I only really do farm tracks and thetford forest so full suspension prob isn't needed. What would you recommend please? So many makes with big price differences. This isn't going to do many miles a year maybe 20 miles a week.
Thanks Rob
DevonDamo

Post by DevonDamo »

Bobtaildisco wrote: 30 May 2023, 12:13pmWhat would you recommend please?
For those locations, a hardtail cross country bike would be your best bet. Something up to 10 years old, with reasonable quality front suspension would be fine. Here's an example of something that would do the job on eBay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/285303764050 ... R7rsx8mNYg

Your best bet is to just search on eBay/Gumtree/Facebook/etc. for what's available locally, and then do a Google search for reviews.
Bobtaildisco

Post by Bobtaildisco »

Thanks for the advice. I should be picking up a Giant Anthem tomorrow.