Nutrak Slick eBay

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Nutrak Slick eBay

Post by Mick F »

Update.

Moulton is stripped down for deep cleaning. All ready for re-assembly now and will be doing it tomorrow probably.
Looking at the tyres, the front still looks almost brand new. Still has the "seam" down the centre of the tread.

Rear is looking worn and with three cuts but still hard and fine. Photos of the rear attached.

Distance run on them?
868miles but on a variety of roads and some rocky off-road too.
Still utterly pleased with them. :D
IMG_0128.jpg
IMG_0129.jpg
IMG_0132.jpg
Mick F. Cornwall
speedsixdave

Post by speedsixdave »

That's useful information, Mick. Keep it coming!

By chance my Continental Contact Speeds have probably done very similar mileage, 567 of them touring with a reasonable but non-camping load on Welsh roads in September. The rear one looks like this:
IMG_20201028_181745136.jpg

IMG_20201028_181717158.jpg

Tread now missing in the centre but they feel like they have plenty of life left in them yet. Not square yet. Like yours the front shows virtually no wear.

I have been liking them for touring, they seem grippy and have not punctured yet. As noted I think I am a tyre philistine and am apparently not quite so sensitive to the vagaries of different tyres as others claim to be however. The rear one measures pretty much bang on 28mm on a Sun CR18 406 rim, the front perhaps 27 and a bit on a Moulton 406 rim. I got them from Bikester here and for about that price, which I think is pretty good for a 'branded' tyre, but I would caveat that I ordered the ones with the 'reflex' stripe and received the ones without. Because they came from Germany I did not bother sending them back.
Big wheels good, small wheels better.
Two saddles best!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Excellent!

I've used Conti's before.
Contact Sport and Conti GP. The GPs wore out rather quickly.

The Sports were fine, but at about £20 each.
1,500miles is about it, so it's and expensive hobby running a small-wheeler.

My Nutrak at £4 each is a much better bet.
Mick F. Cornwall
gazza_d

Post by gazza_d »

I've had similar mileage and experience to Mick on my Nutraks.
Probably just over 900 miles on them across the 2 Moultons since I out them on. Still looking very good and I've ridden a mix of surfaces. They don't feel very secure on just mud but then I'd not expect a 28mm slick to feel any different. Other than that they've never felt less than surefooted.
I've had 2 punctures. One on each bike, both rear wheel and both moreorless on the same short stretch of road.
I actually bought another 4 which are tucked away for when the ones on the bikes wear out.
An absolute bargain.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

gazza_d wrote:An absolute bargain.
Even if they only last 1,000miles, they are still an absolute bargain. :D
Mick F. Cornwall
gazza_d

Post by gazza_d »

Update

Just replaced the rear tyre on Thunderbird 2 this morning after about 1600 miles.

Still quite a bit of depth left on the tyre but it has a good number of deep cuts which seem to be picking up tiny bits of glass with increasing regularity lately (where do all those tiny bits come from).

Had the tyre been twenty quid then I would have persisted it for longer. The wear is on a par with some duranos I tried a few years ago and they were £15 a tyre
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Finally wore out the rear tyre. Fitted as a brand new pair. Front is perfectly fine. Tyres done 1,309miles.
Fitted a new one, so that takes my stock down to three.

Just doing some cleaning and checking, and I noticed something amiss with the rear tyre. Bulging out sideways in two places. Photos to show. One part is well worn, you can't miss it. The other part, you can see a bulge to the left.
IMG_0583.jpg
IMG_0584.jpg
Mick F. Cornwall
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Just a little worn!

Cheers James
Syd

Post by Syd »

The Conti GP4 tyres on my commuter have done 6,000 miles and look waaayy better than those thought, IIRC, they did cost more than 4 times those you got Mick.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Tyres on small-wheel bikes wear much faster than on big-wheel bikes of course.

Easily get 6,000miles on the tyres on Mercian, but with Moulton, it's a different subject.
Tried Conti GP and the rear lasted only 1,200miles (£38.92 for the pair)
I replaced them with Conti Contact Sport, and the rear lasted much better at 2,000miles. (£42.10 for the pair)
Mick F. Cornwall
gazza_d

Post by gazza_d »

Just fitted the last of my Nutrak tyre stash to the rear of the Cone as I cut a tyre (nutrak too) badly yesterday. It had about 700 miles on it.
IMG_20220502_073551.jpg
Sadly Freewheel are now out of stock, so it seems to be a case of scrabbling around on eBay for odd ones still in stock
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Thread resurrection.

Just replaced the rear tyre on Moulton.
I bought six of these Nutrak tyres in total. The one fitted on the front is the original one, and today I fitted the third onto the rear.
One plus three = four of course, so I have two spares left.

Mileage?
The rears do about 1,500miles or less, and the front one has done much much much better.
Both Nutrak tyres fitted at 3,795miles.

The bike has done 9,800miles as of today, and with Nutrak got through two rears .....................but the first front Nutrak is still fine.

Front Nutrak therefore has done 6,000miles.
Rear Nutraks have done 1,300 and 1,100miles.

Rounded figures, so don't add up accurately :wink:

Latest issue with the rear ........... photo.
No punctures at all. Not even with this one.
IMG_1769.jpeg
Mick F. Cornwall
gazza_d

Post by gazza_d »

You've done well there Mick.
I managed to shred almost all of the nutraks I bought on broken glass. Usually with cuts so deep they went though the cords and let the inner tubes poke through. So a few rides where I've limped home.

That also says a fair bit about some of the paths up here on Tyneside. The rubber was quite soft and there didn't seem to be any protection strip like Schwable do.

That's fine for 4 quid a tyre. SJS are now selling them for £20. I can buy a folding Schwable One for only a few quid more from Spa.

Which is what I did and for longer rides, I carry a spare tyre. The Schwables do seem to be much better at resisting the glass though.

Gaz
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

I wouldn't even get on the bike with a tyre in such poor condition. I can only suppose it happened suddenly.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

It was sudden methinks.

I haven't ridden Moulton so much recently, and the first ride on it since February was only 28 April. No problems then.
Then, 19th May, 22nd May, and 28th May. It was 22nd May that I heard a chuff-chuff noise from the rear but put it down to the usual thing of a bit of debris stuck in the mudguard. It happens a lot.

Then, on the 28th May ride, the chuff-chuff was louder, so I had a look. I was only riding 3miles out and 3miles back, so I went rather gingerly, to say the least!

It's quite difficult to see the rear tyre without upending the bike as the rear mudguard is very full round the wheel.

Main issue - in my defence - is that I'm not riding very often these days, and as such, my maintenance routine has lapsed. A year or so ago, I'd have spotted the the rear tyre issue like a shot.

Only done fourteen rides this year. :oops:
Mick F. Cornwall