Trailer vs panniers

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
hemo

Re: Trailer vs panniers

Post by hemo »

Panniers x 4 and rear rack for items that will fit , if anything larger or too heavy then I have two trailers .

For trails if needing a trailer and QR then the Burley coho might work but load/weight capacity isn't great.
Gizzmo

Post by Gizzmo »

Jdsk wrote: 21 May 2023, 1:11pm 20220122_120755.jpg
I think this is what I need that way I have the front pannier when I have the child seat and rear should do for when I'm on my own
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

Gizzmo wrote: 28 May 2023, 10:38am
Jdsk wrote: 21 May 2023, 1:11pm 20220122_120755.jpg
I think this is what I need that way I have the front pannier when I have the child seat and rear should do for when I'm on my own
Thanks - I'm using a surly Nice front rack attached to a thorn raven frame. What I would say is that putting heavy stuff on your front forks can make the bike handle abit weirdly (depending on the geometry of your bike)- but you get use to it pretty quick. If I'm doing a supermarket run - I've usually got a box of wine and 5 to 7 tins in each front pannier...
plancashire

Post by plancashire »

I have both panniers and a trailer. The trailer is a Burley Travoy, which fits to the seatpost and looks like a shopping trolley. It is a shopping trolley, which makes shopping very easy - you take it into the shop. With the bag removed you can strap things to it - I moved a couple of big stools recently. The bike handles a heavy load better with a trailer than with panniers, and my bike is built specifically for heavy duty touring. You notice a headwind more with a trailer. However, a trailer costs a lot of money and I use it only when necessary. Panniers front and rear can carry a lot.

An adaptor is available for the Travoy to fit it to a rear rack instead of a seatpost. That might work with a child seat but check.

Whatever you decide, if you plan to haul heavy loads make sure the bike and its brakes are rated for it. The manufacturer should give a maximum total weight - they must here in Germany.
I am NOT a cyclist. I enjoy riding a bike for utility, commuting, fitness and touring on tout terrain Rohloff, Brompton M3 and Wester Ross 354 plus a Burley Travoy trailer.
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

plancashire wrote: 29 May 2023, 9:39pm I have both panniers and a trailer. The trailer is a Burley Travoy, which fits to the seatpost and looks like a shopping trolley. It is a shopping trolley, which makes shopping very easy - you take it into the shop. With the bag removed you can strap things to it - I moved a couple of big stools recently. The bike handles a heavy load better with a trailer than with panniers, and my bike is built specifically for heavy duty touring. You notice a headwind more with a trailer. However, a trailer costs a lot of money and I use it only when necessary. Panniers front and rear can carry a lot.

An adaptor is available for the Travoy to fit it to a rear rack instead of a seatpost. That might work with a child seat but check.
What's your impressions of the burley travoy? It's it any good. Once the council have built the last section of cycle path which bypasses a section of twisty national speed limit lane - I'm thinking of getting one for my really big monthly shop and for DIY shopping.
plancashire

Post by plancashire »

I like my Burley Travoy but it has some deficiencies. It is stable and carries a heavy load well. It is light but strong and folds up small for storage and can be used on multiple bikes as the connector clamp is easily swapped. (Free seatpost required - about 50mm - suspension may obstruct.) You can strap big things to it with the provided straps. The trailer itself should have mudguards. The thick plastic side pieces are not enough in the wet. The plastic back sheet is too short and prevents a rectangular load resting on the bottom metal loop. The solution is a lump of wood or similar to fill in the space. Daft.

The shopper bag which attaches to the bottom part is quite well made and fixes well. For shopping in dry weather it is good. Why oh why they did not make it waterproof I do not know. It does rain in Oregon, where it is made. You can buy a separate raincover at a price. I don't have it. You could just strap a (waterproof) rucksack to the frame.

The straps on the trailer (removable) and the bag drive me nuts. The designer at Burley does not understand how to create a simple strap. They all seem to have double the required length of webbing which just gets in the way as they form loops. It may be a lawyer's safety feature to avoid loose ends slipping through. Mind you - you can hang yourself in a loop, not in a loose end. The straps do work though.

There's a YT video showing someone moving house with the trailer!
I am NOT a cyclist. I enjoy riding a bike for utility, commuting, fitness and touring on tout terrain Rohloff, Brompton M3 and Wester Ross 354 plus a Burley Travoy trailer.
scottg

Post by scottg »

The solution is a pannier trailer.
https://extrawheel.com/
Bicycle-Trailer-Extrawheel-brave-with-Classic-bags-100L_2.jpg
2023-05-30_14-46-02.jpg
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Deutsche Luftschiffahrts-AG
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

plancashire wrote: 29 May 2023, 10:25pm I like my Burley Travoy but it has some deficiencies. It is stable and carries a heavy load well. It is light but strong and folds up small for storage and can be used on multiple bikes as the connector clamp is easily swapped. (Free seatpost required - about 50mm - suspension may obstruct.) You can strap big things to it with the provided straps. The trailer itself should have mudguards. The thick plastic side pieces are not enough in the wet. The plastic back sheet is too short and prevents a rectangular load resting on the bottom metal loop....

Thanks for that comprehensive review, I really appreciate it.
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

cycle tramp wrote: 30 May 2023, 10:21pm
plancashire wrote: 29 May 2023, 10:25pm I like my Burley Travoy but it has some deficiencies. It is stable and carries a heavy load well. It is light but strong and folds up small for storage and can be used on multiple bikes as the connector clamp is easily swapped. (Free seatpost required - about 50mm - suspension may obstruct.) You can strap big things to it with the provided straps. The trailer itself should have mudguards. The thick plastic side pieces are not enough in the wet. The plastic back sheet is too short and prevents a rectangular load resting on the bottom metal loop....

Thanks for that comprehensive review, I really appreciate it.
As supplementary info there’s a review of the Travoy here: https://www.londoncyclist.co.uk/burley- ... er-review/ . To me that review seems to be a reasonable appraisal.

As I read the review the Travoy is specifically intended for and good at urban domestic use and living, that’s basically shifting groceries for up to a few miles over smooth (paved / tarmac) surfaces and then compact storage after use. Obviously some folk will press their Travoy into additional uses, but Burley make other products for other main uses and for flexibility of use (a do it all carrier) I think it hard to beat a two wheel flat bed trailer.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.