Sri Lanka

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Jeremyreed

Sri Lanka

Post by Jeremyreed »

Two of us are planning a cycle trip round the coast of Sri Lanka starting in Columbo for April 2024. We aim to fly to Columbo and buy second hand bikes and travel very light with just a rucksack and possibly two one man pop up tents. Has anyone cycled Sri Lanka and is it always possible to find cheap accommodation thus dispensing with the need for tents? Any other advice for cycling round this island would me appreciated.
Many thanks
Jeremy
simonhill

Re: Sri Lanka

Post by simonhill »

I've cycled there quite a bit (5+ months over a number of years), last time in Jan/Feb this year.

There is plenty of budget accommodation, especially in the tourist areas. You can usually find somewhere reasonable to stay with reasonable daily distance. I definitely would not camp.

Unless you want very cheap MTB style bikes or clunky single speed roadsters (thing Indian style), I doubt you will get 2 decent secondhand bikes there. I'd strongly advise taking your own bike. If desperate for secondhand, try asking on Tripadvisor SL forum. There is a cyclist who lives there most of year and would know better than me and might know of somewhere.

Have a look at crazyguyonabike website. There are a few journals there. All quite old, but things change slowly in SL. Look out for Bill Weir's journals.

Happy to answer any specific questions, tell me alls are a bit too vague. By the way, it's Colombo.
Jeremyreed

Post by Jeremyreed »

Many thanks Simon. Will research your suggestions. Much appreciated
matt2matt2002

Post by matt2matt2002 »

I've been twice. Once with my bike and having liked it so much, I took my wife there the following year. Without bikes.
I circled the island on my bike.
Very flat.
Hills in the middle.
Lovely folks and food.

Negatives: bus drivers are dangerous.
Pollution may be a problem for you. Rubbish burnt roadside. Car fumes bad.

Those things don't worry me personally. Far outweighed by the many fantastic experiences.

After I left, there was ( another) political scandal and the economy nose dived.
Not sure of present situation. I suspect still safe but not sure of costs. Maybe their nose dive is good for our exchange rate?

Check out my Crazy Guy journal
Welcome to the jungle
https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/welcometothejungle

As mentioned above, quite a few journals there. Bill W is the master. But others may be of help.

Pm me if you need anything else.

Matt
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
Always on a Thorn Raven/Rohloff hub.