Mystery creak

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Tcc

Re: Mystery creak

Post by Tcc »

Still trying to fix this!
Not the pedals, greased the dropouts, changed the block, regreased the seatpost!
The noise definitely appears to be from the chainset so I’ll keep investigating
Thanks
geomannie

Post by geomannie »

I had a similar creak & both me & a very experienced bike shop mechanic thought it the BB or chainset.

I finally isolated the noise to the rear wheel bearings. Try fitting another wheel. If the creak disappears you know where to look.
geomannie
Jupestar

Post by Jupestar »

Have you had a really good check for cracks and fractures all around the frame?
mig

Post by mig »

shoes?
Eyebrox

Post by Eyebrox »

Check your rear wheel. Clean and lube quick release. Grease hub bearings. Oil spokes at nipples and crossovers. Make sure there's no slack in spokes. Bit of work involved but worthwhile.
SimonCelsa

Post by SimonCelsa »

Jupestar wrote: 19 May 2023, 1:12pm Have you had a really good check for cracks and fractures all around the frame?
Yep, 1970's Holdsworth, had a good innings. Have a very good look for cracks. Stand adjacent to the bike and apply both brakes. Give a good push on the pedal either side to try and 'twist' the bottom bracket area. See if you can replicate the creak and have a good look / feel for any sign of fracture.

Hopefully it's nothing too dramatic. My tandem had a similar creak and it took a while before I discovered the cracked chainstay.
Chris Jeggo

Post by Chris Jeggo »

My mystery creak turned out to be a cracking seat post which gave itself away by breaking completely.
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

if you're pedalling hard enough to pull on the bars, you need to check those as well.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
Gearoidmuar

Sebastian showed me a trick...

Post by Gearoidmuar »

Sebastian is a great Spanish bike mechanic who fixed my bike in Spain.

You strain the bike to find out what's creaking.
He catches the frame and bends it in various directions, including the seat area, stays etc. You find what deformation causes the creak. Then you have it. I'd a helluva creak from my bike. He did that. He said, the problem is in the hub. It was. The cassette body onto which the cassette slips had cracked. A rarity.
JohnMorgan

Post by JohnMorgan »

Mine turned out to be the rear mudguard bridge rubbing on the mudguard . . . .
Bit of grease and voila! No creak.
Phileas

Post by Phileas »

Tcc wrote: 19 May 2023, 11:38am Still trying to fix this!
Not the pedals, greased the dropouts, changed the block, regreased the seatpost!
The noise definitely appears to be from the chainset so I’ll keep investigating
Thanks
Although my seatpost is greased and still creaking, my seat tube has a sleeve in it which will be the focus of my next experiment.
peetee

Post by peetee »

mig wrote: 19 May 2023, 1:25pmshoes?
I had this. The sole had a sheet of steel inside that had fractured right across below the ball of my foot.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
crossy

Post by crossy »

I had a creak on a APB Moulton it only happened on bumpy terrain. So I looked on the web for suggestions front suspension needing lubricant was one so lubed that, not that. Seat post nope, saddle nope it was driving me to distraction. Then one day I looked down I have a mini pump attached to the front rack it had shifted downward and every time I went over a bump the suspension would drop and the pump would catch the mudguard. Moved the pump up now no creak. Felt like a right pollock.
ICE Adventure E51, Van Nic Amazon E40, NWT Bike Friday E17, Orange Rohloff, Total E58
mig

Post by mig »

what happened? :D

creak now gone?

i went back to my summer, geared commuter recently - an old mercian frame built up with 8spd kit - i now remember that there is a small noise from the front end if i stand on the pedals up a hill. think that it is the nose bolt on the XA stem not quite tight but i'll find it. or stay seated :wink:
jimlews

Post by jimlews »

Tcc wrote: 18 May 2023, 11:02am
only when I ride the bike and press hard - nothing noticeable when on the stand.
The fact that it’s only when the small chainring is engaged is making me think chainring or chain
Regards
Tim
For my tuppence ha'penny worth; check the B/B axle - crank spider interface.
A thin smear of grease on the Axle taper may do the trick.