This doesn't look right

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
JohnR

Re: This doesn't look right

Post by JohnR »

Don't pedal when turning a corner!
Usually riding a Rohloff-equipped Spa Cycles Elan Ti
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

He's selling it because he doesn't like the handling.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
AndyK

Post by AndyK »

At first glance I thought, "Oh, another one with the forks on the wrong way round." Then I looked more closely...

"Condition: Used - Good". Hmmm.
backnotes

Post by backnotes »

What's odd is that the disc brake appears to be mounted on the correct (i.e.) left fork blade and is on what should be the front of the fork blade.

This photo https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk ... t-14988546 of the same model of bike suggests that those are the original forks the bike was fitted with, and the brake is behind the left fork blade with the forks mounted the way you would expect.

It's almost as if someone welded the disc brake mount on the wrong blade so the trail would be wrong if the disc brake was on the correct side.
AndyK

Post by AndyK »

backnotes wrote: 29 May 2023, 2:28pm What's odd is that the disc brake appears to be mounted on the correct (i.e.) left fork blade and is on what should be the front of the fork blade.

This photo https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk ... t-14988546 of the same model of bike suggests that those are the original forks the bike was fitted with, and the brake is behind the left fork blade with the forks mounted the way you would expect.

It's almost as if someone welded the disc brake mount on the wrong blade so the trail would be wrong if the disc brake was on the correct side.
I think it's had a hefty front-on impact which has bent both forks back. Hence my scepticism at the "Condition: Good" claim. Remarkable that they just bent neatly rather than cracking, but after all it is a Viking bike so it's probably made of cheese.
backnotes

Post by backnotes »

Ah yes - doh - I was barking up completely wrong the wrong tree!

That must have been quite a knock to do that.
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

AndyK wrote: 29 May 2023, 2:53pm
backnotes wrote: 29 May 2023, 2:28pm
I think it's had a hefty front-on impact which has bent both forks back. Hence my scepticism at the "Condition: Good" claim. Remarkable that they just bent neatly rather than cracking, but after all it is a Viking bike so it's probably made of cheese.
Possibly bent at the steerer tube joint which would be why the forks are neatly bent.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
CJ

Post by CJ »

Used by a Mr Ranintoabus!
Chris Juden
One lady owner, never raced or jumped.
fivebikes

Post by fivebikes »

As it should look I think!
F6DE7E79-7895-41DA-AD1B-0A21D1CC7C4B.jpeg
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

No, it doesn't look right - blue and yellow don't go!
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

djnotts wrote: 31 May 2023, 6:12pm No, it doesn't look right - blue and yellow don't go!
I think the Ukrainian nation would disagree.