Help choosing bicycle

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
SummitFreedom

Re: Help choosing bicycle

Post by SummitFreedom »

JohnMorgan wrote: 30 May 2023, 6:05am
Thank you for your input. I rented from Whitstable Kent Cycle hire a few years ago. Decent cycle. I think about the same price as the giant roam I'm looking at. Fully rigid. No suspension.
I'm now 34yo.

Ah yes the farm track. That has some really big stones on it here and there. I walk sometimes (rarely) from Canterbury to Whitstable or Whitstable to Canterbury and back via the Crab and Winkle, and I often kick big rocks to the side on that farm path bit because I don't want cycles and cyclists getting damaged/hurt.

What is this trail you speak of from Chartham to Wye? How do I discover cycling paths/trails for adventure and beauty?

2'' tyres means nothing to me as I know nothing about cycles.

I rented a cycle bout 3-4 years ago. A Ridgeback Speed from Whitstable Kent Cycle Hire. Fully rigid. Maybe you can find the tires that would have been on that cycle, if you think maybe that tyre thickness makes a big enough difference to vibrations on stony paths.

I did whitstable crab and winkle to winding pond, which is on crab and winkle.
From there I took the other path NOT towards Canterbury and went along the wildart trail. My God. That hammered my neck, shoulders and I think my hips. Really hurt. Could feel every single stone. Was horrible. I was cycling at like 2mph. Not literally as I didn't have anything to measure my speed, but I swear I was cycling at walking pace. SO SLOW due to the pain.

Went to reculver from there. Was awesome. Really enjoyed it. Spent half the time on roads which was nice because it was smooth, but so so scary. I don't wanna get hit by a car, and it's a likely thing to happen, so I like to avoid roads as much as possible.
Especially the roads I went down, they were country roads, national speed limit, no road markings I think, where typically you have cars going full pelt.

After wildart trail ends, you come out on Canterbury road. I then went on busheyfields road past the Canterbury garden center. Had no plan, just winged it after asking for directions.
Went to St Martins church and went up school lane. Then went up Broomfield Rd, then Margate Rd, then left onto heart in hand road. That road had lots of fast traffic and a bridge over the A299. I was and am not fit at all. I was STRUGGLING to get up the bridge. The road leading to the bridge was steep.
From there I went down Reculver Lane to the Reculver Towers, where I then propped my rented cycle onto its kickstand and sat down int he grass near the towers and ate my sandwiches as I enjoyed the views and the people playing/walking/cycling.

This is what makes me be wary of buying a fully rigid bike. That Wildart bit was total agony and I never want to have to go through that again.

I would love to do the North Downs Way, but how much of it is like the Wildart trail with insane stones everywhere?
https://www.nationaltrail.co.uk/en_GB/t ... downs-way/

153 miles! <3

Also would be awesome maybe to meet up and cycle one time maybe. I don't have any friends and my parents are abusive. I love adventure and exploring and cycling will help me be away from them and outside enjoying the outdoors and getting fitter.

I might rent again from Whitstable Kent Cycle hire and do the wildart trail again and see if I get the same pain issues. But at £30 for like 6 hours, it's expensive.

If you live in Whitstable, I would be grateful if I could borrow your bike for the day if it is the right size for me (I am 174cm tall) for free. We could video call first and get to know each other. It would also be amazing if you have a front suspension cycle I could also try and compare front suspension with fully rigid.

If not I will just have to rent one, but there are no front suspension cycles for rent sadly. I searched and searched.

Thank you
Last edited by SummitFreedom on 1 Jun 2023, 4:22am, edited 2 times in total.
SummitFreedom

Post by SummitFreedom »

oaklec wrote: 31 May 2023, 6:24pm
SummitFreedom wrote: 31 May 2023, 3:54pm I'm just going to get the roam disc 2.

Should I ask my local bike shop if he will price match the website that has it on discount?
He's closed today all day. And on Sundays. And he's gone for lunch so it's closed during lunch hour.

I first need to go in and try the cycle. Don't wanna ask him to price match the cycle till I've tried the medium and large sizes so I know which size I need.
A great idea to go into the shop when it is open and try the bike so you can tell whether you like it and what size you need. Then if you want to buy it you could ask if they would price match. If they don't you could still buy the bike from them to help build a good relationship for when you need the bike serviced or repaired.
But is the £699 price with helmet etc, worth it over the £574 for just the bicycle on Tredz.co.uk?
SummitFreedom

Post by SummitFreedom »

RE Insurance

Looking online at a quote - £55 a year, covers bike and £250 worth of extras on the bike, like panniers and mudguards etc.

The policy states this:

1. At the insured location
Theft of your bike whilst at the insured location will only be covered if the bike is:
a) Kept inside a house, self-contained flat, or self-contained lockable room in private halls in which
you live. Any security devices must be operating correctly and access to the bike must
be obtained by forcible and/or violent entry or exit; or
b) Kept inside a privately accessed garage, outbuilding or shed within the boundaries of the
private
house in which you live. Access to the bike must be obtained by forcible and/or violent entry or
exit
and you must have complied with the following security requirements:
i) all external doors must be secured by a minimum of a 5-lever mortice deadlock to BS3621
standard or an approved lock or CEN 4 or higher Rated Padlock, and
ii) the bike is secured through the frame by an approved lock to an immovable object within the
building; or.
c) Kept in a communal hallway within the building in which you live, or in a communal outbuilding
within the boundaries of the property in which you live. Access to the bike must be obtained by
forcible and/or violent entry or exit and the bike must be secured through the frame by an
approved lock to an immovable object within the hallway or communal building.

- END -

So.... I plan to store my cycle in a garage. The garage door is just a normal garage door with a normal lock thing. There is a side door too with a handle and standard lock and key that gives access to the garage. That is behind another side door that leads to a passageway.

None of those doors have what is described in 'i)', and I cannot imagine that anyone has that on their garage door/s.

I also have nothing in the garage to lock the cycle to.

I MAYBE could get something installed into the ground... if my abusive parents would let me. But still... wouldn't i) mean I wouldn't be covered?

I wouldn't mind bringing the cycle up to my small room and wall hanging it (though it wouldn't be a nice sight), and but my abusive mum will mind as I will have to drag it up the carpeted stairs. Also there is a high chance of me falling as there is not enough space for me to stand next to the bike and take it down. I wonder if there is such a thing as a quick removable track to take a cycle up and down stairs. Would just need to be something that can fold up or something that when fully retracted serves as a solid little track for the cycle to go up and down a flight of stairs where the user just pushes the bike up and down along it
oaklec

Post by oaklec »

SummitFreedom wrote: 1 Jun 2023, 1:46am
oaklec wrote: 31 May 2023, 6:24pm
SummitFreedom wrote: 31 May 2023, 3:54pm I'm just going to get the roam disc 2.

Should I ask my local bike shop if he will price match the website that has it on discount?
He's closed today all day. And on Sundays. And he's gone for lunch so it's closed during lunch hour.

I first need to go in and try the cycle. Don't wanna ask him to price match the cycle till I've tried the medium and large sizes so I know which size I need.
A great idea to go into the shop when it is open and try the bike so you can tell whether you like it and what size you need. Then if you want to buy it you could ask if they would price match. If they don't you could still buy the bike from them to help build a good relationship for when you need the bike serviced or repaired.
But is the £699 price with helmet etc, worth it over the £574 for just the bicycle on Tredz.co.uk?
Don't forget, you are going to ask if your local bike shop will price match and if they don't then you choose whether to still buy from them or not. A factor of that choice would be price, but also supporting local business and the good will factor when it comes to servicing. It's your choice and there is no wrong choice as long as you are happy with your choice.
Lynskey Peloton, Ron Cooper, Bates BAR, Yates Expedition, Dawes Sardar, Dawes Edge, Pashley Parabike, Dawes Clubman
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

SummitFreedom wrote: 1 Jun 2023, 2:32am RE Insurance

Looking online at a quote - £55 a year, covers bike and £250 worth of extras on the bike, like panniers and mudguards etc.

The policy states this:
Choose a different insurance company (not all companies assess risks the same). Alternatively,
get your bike included on your current house's insurance policy.
Jupestar

Post by Jupestar »

Hi - with regards to the Giant: Online vs Local Bike Shop.

Try and put a value on things.

What is the helmet, puncture repair kit and bottle holder worth to you?

What is buying from a local shop worth to you, where you can go and deal with and set up and bedding in issues.

Only you can do that for yourself, others can try, but only you can really do it.

Do you want and need the helmet etc on offer? if so i would guess £50 all in. I guess they won't be top of the range and the £100 is the full RRP price.

set up of bike - If you buy online who is going to do it for you, will it be already done? do you have the tools and skills? Or will you have to pay someone? If so i would guess £40-50 to the bike shop to do it.

Most bikes need a bit of a service after bedding in. On the giant it will most likely just be the gears. Who is doing that? I would guess another £30 if you need someone. what if its something more serious like the brakes? will the online shop send someone out, or have an agreement with a local mechanic?

Already that gets you close to the £125.. If it has that value to you.

Therefore based on my assumptions (an only you can know). i'd buy from the local bike shop.
Get the 'free' helmet etc (assuming you need it).
Initial set up/build will be included i'm sure.
Most likely they will offer a free 6 week service with the bike.

and if your still worried about the £125 difference.
Ask them for a free 1 year service, perhaps try and negotiate a bit of a discount. or to provide (and fit) a lock.

I would also not be worried about telling them you are looking to buy online. Most independant bikes shops probably do good business in helping (with the fees) customers who buy online and don;t get the support they need in the initial bedding in.

If i was the bike shop, i would happily let you try the bikes for size, even if you decided to buy online.
Sparky56

Post by Sparky56 »

I would go for the bike from the local shop. They can set it up for you etc.
oaklec

Post by oaklec »

SummitFreedom wrote: 27 May 2023, 10:06pm Hi. I have decided I want a front suspension cycle.

UK here.

Carrera crossfire 3 hybrid vs giant roam disc 2?
The giant has an offer ATM. Free helmet, puncture repair kit and water bottle holder.

Price difference between carrera and giant is huge. 456 Vs 699.

Or maybe a Boardman Halfords cycle?
Having compared the specs, the Carrera crossfire 3 hybrid looks great value for money and as a brand may be less likely to attract thieves than Giant
Lynskey Peloton, Ron Cooper, Bates BAR, Yates Expedition, Dawes Sardar, Dawes Edge, Pashley Parabike, Dawes Clubman
SummitFreedom

Post by SummitFreedom »

oaklec wrote: 1 Jun 2023, 4:35pm
SummitFreedom wrote: 27 May 2023, 10:06pm Hi. I have decided I want a front suspension cycle.

UK here.

The giant has an offer ATM. Free helmet, puncture repair kit and water bottle holder.

Having compared the specs, the Carrera crossfire 3 hybrid looks great value for money and as a brand may be less likely to attract thieves than Giant
Should I get that over the giant?
Sparky56

Post by Sparky56 »

SummitFreedom wrote: 2 Jun 2023, 1:39am
oaklec wrote: 1 Jun 2023, 4:35pm

UK here.

Should I get that over the giant?
yes
SummitFreedom

Post by SummitFreedom »

Sparky56 wrote: 2 Jun 2023, 6:18am
What about a used Giant Roam Disc 2? Worth buying off ebay?

Tires are fatter on the Roam vs Carreara which is good right?
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

SummitFreedom wrote: 2 Jun 2023, 6:33am
What about a used Giant Roam Disc 2? Worth buying off ebay?

Tires are fatter on the Roam vs Carreara which is good right?
Don't go buying a used bike - at this stage I would suggest that you are far better off with the support and back up of the warranty/guarantee on a new bike and the support and knowledge of a shop selling it, being able to fix it and to service it in the future.

Buying used can be good if you know what you're looking for and what you're doing but it can also be a complete minefield of scams, badly maintained bikes and zero comeback.
SummitFreedom wrote: 2 Jun 2023, 1:39am Should I get that over the giant?
yes
I would say no - the Giant is a better overall bike - mostly slightly higher quality components.

Whether or not that makes any discernable difference to you is another matter but it does give a bit of future proofing, a bit more potential to expand your horizons of where you're riding and so on.

At this stage it comes down to things like:
Buying from a local shop (Giant) vs buying from Halfords (Carrera).
How much money you have available and also factor in buying things like a helmet and lock.

Best option is to try them if possible, see which bike feels most comfortable, looks the best to you and so on.
SummitFreedom

Post by SummitFreedom »

I went the the cycle store. Was a different guy this time.

Was told I need a mountain bike and that I'll have to spend over 1.3k to get one with air suspension good enough to be able to react to the millions of stones on the wildart trail and the terrain along the north downs way.

Now I don't know what to do. It seems hybrid will suspension will just suck.

More was said but I'm too sleepy right now to type more
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

SummitFreedom wrote: 5 Jun 2023, 5:10pm I went the the cycle store. Was a different guy this time.

Was told I need a mountain bike and that I'll have to spend over 1.3k to get one with air suspension good enough to be able to react to the millions of stones on the wildart trail and the terrain along the north downs way.

You do have a habit of picking some weird shops!
Better option is simply to walk in, point to the Giant and say "I want that bike".
SummitFreedom

Post by SummitFreedom »

rareposter wrote: 5 Jun 2023, 7:05pm
SummitFreedom wrote: 5 Jun 2023, 5:10pm I went the the cycle store. Was a different guy this time.

You do have a habit of picking some weird shops!
Better option is simply to walk in, point to the Giant and say "I want that bike".
What are you talking about? You know me do you? Also how is Herbert cycles in Whitstable a weird shop?