War on Our Doorstep: How do we respond?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Biospace

Re: War on Our Doorstep: How do we respond?

Post by Biospace »

Ex Russian President and Prime Minister Medvedev has warned that British officials are 'legitimate military targets'.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/medv ... -j5gpxgmzm
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

Biospace wrote: 31 May 2023, 2:12pm Ex Russian President and Prime Minister Medvedev has warned that British officials are 'legitimate military targets'.

Interesting rhetoric and positioning - one might say a master class in intimidation and bullying. Of course if the tanks had taken Ukraine then they’d have kept rolling westwards … The West doesn’t have Putin’s ruthless mind, if the tables were turned (if he had our weapons) then he’d have bombed us into submission a year back and ‘hang the consequences’. Eventually he’ll be pushed back into Russia - well that’s what I think and prefer to believe - but to aid that the West really does need to find ways to support the Ukrainians in stopping and retaliating against the attacks made from within Russia’s border.

I find the Times to be paywalled
Last edited by Carlton green on 31 May 2023, 2:59pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Carlton green wrote: 31 May 2023, 2:55pm
Biospace wrote: 31 May 2023, 2:12pm Ex Russian President and Prime Minister Medvedev has warned that British officials are 'legitimate military targets'.

Interesting rhetoric and positioning - one might say a master class in intimidation and bullying. Of course if the tanks had taken Ukraine then they’d have kept rolling westwards … The West doesn’t have Putin’s ruthless mind, if the tables were turned (if he had our weapons) then he’d have bombed us into submission a year back and ‘hang the consequences’. Eventually he’ll be pushed back into Russia - well that’s what I think and prefer to believe - but the West really does need to find ways to support the Ukrainians in stopping and retaliating against the attacks made from within Russia’s border.

Commentator on R4 this morning reckoned that even by Kremlin standard's he's a bit of a loose cannon and likes making these grandiose statements.
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

Bonefishblues wrote: 31 May 2023, 2:59pm

Interesting rhetoric and positioning - one might say a master class in intimidation and bullying. Of course if the tanks had taken Ukraine then they’d have kept rolling westwards … The West doesn’t have Putin’s ruthless mind, if the tables were turned (if he had our weapons) then he’d have bombed us into submission a year back and ‘hang the consequences’. Eventually he’ll be pushed back into Russia - well that’s what I think and prefer to believe - but the West really does need to find ways to support the Ukrainians in stopping and retaliating against the attacks made from within Russia’s border.

Commentator on R4 this morning reckoned that even by Kremlin standard's he's a bit of a loose cannon and likes making these grandiose statements.
I don’t doubt it but never underestimate Russia; remember that its population is large, its landmass is large, its navy is intact, its airforce is intact, its influence is global and it isn’t the basket case that it once was.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Carlton green wrote: 31 May 2023, 3:04pm

I don’t doubt it but never underestimate Russia; remember that its population is large, its landmass is large, its navy is intact, its airforce is intact, its influence is global and it isn’t the basket case that it once was.
I'm not, I'm making a singular comment regarding Medvedev
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

Bonefishblues wrote: 31 May 2023, 3:45pm
Carlton green wrote: 31 May 2023, 3:04pm
I'm not, I'm making a singular comment regarding Medvedev
We’re in agreement then.
harriedgary

Post by harriedgary »

As soon as we allowed free movement of East Germans, who actually were soviet sleeper spies, we lost security of this land. It's claimed that Russian is the lingua franca, of Eastern Europeans because there are so many different languages, Polish, Lativian, etc etc etc. But it also makes for convenient cover for any real Russian spy to claim to be a citizen of which country and just happens to speak Russian. So, that is the real reason why the UK and other western countries hasn't stood firmly up to Putin and said leave Ukraine now, or we declare war on you, and you will lose, quickly. It's not because of the threat of nuclear war, as who but a maniac would press the button that lays the entire earth to total waste.
Bored with earth, where is the mother ship please?
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

harriedgary wrote: 1 Jun 2023, 2:27pm .... It's not because of the threat of nuclear war, as who but a maniac would press the button that lays the entire earth to total waste.
(Heading a bit off-topic but) in effect it's what world leaders/our political classes are doing at the moment anyway - "pushing the button" except instead of one big push followed by a big bang it's lots of little pushes followed by increasingly bad impacts: "Climate Change". Every "yes" to a new coal field or "approved" on a new oil field is another little push; failure to apply brakes, another little push; even our PM and his private helicopter trips are further little pushes ...

Ian
Biospace

Post by Biospace »

Carlton green wrote: 31 May 2023, 2:55pm I find the Times to be paywalled
If you use 12ft.io to view that newspaper's homepage/front page, then click on the stories which appear works for me, whereas copying a link to a story via the same workaround doesn't, with the FT or Times. This does mean that old stories can't be acccessed so easily, but they're usually well reported in other news media.
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

Biospace wrote: 1 Jun 2023, 6:05pm
Carlton green wrote: 31 May 2023, 2:55pm I find the Times to be paywalled
If you use 12ft.io to view that newspaper's homepage/front page, then click on the stories which appear works for me, whereas copying a link to a story via the same workaround doesn't, with the FT or Times. This does mean that old stories can't be acccessed so easily, but they're usually well reported in other news media.
Thank you. I shall have to remember to try that site, it could be very helpful.
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

So it was sabotage. Three sets of explosives set in tunnels waiting to be detonated at the best time to disrupt the offensive. Child-snatcher Putin stoops to a new low. I think he's outdoing Stalin as one of the nastiest autocrats in modern history.

I've made another contribution to the DEC Ukraine fund.
briansnail

Post by briansnail »

A minority of Western companies have not pulled out.Including one large car company.This is bad given the numbers of Ukrainians and
Russians being killed thanks to the Russian FSB who are in charge of all including Putin.Pray for Ukraine next year.As a likely new US president will starve Ukraine of arms to keep Putin happy.
I ride Brompton and a 100% British Vintage.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

More reports of Russian barbarity against captured Ukraine solders:- https://youtu.be/3sK6o_g-FV0
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
DaveReading

Post by DaveReading »

briansnail wrote: 10 Jun 2023, 3:07pmAs a likely new US president will starve Ukraine of arms to keep Putin happy.
Interesting use of "likely" and "will".
briansnail

Post by briansnail »

On the news it is said Western Politicians mainly USA may use frozen Russian assets to reconstruct Ukraine.If Politicians want our votes.They should say frozen assets WILL be used.Why should the likes of you and I pick up the tab for reconstruction.
No one asked the FSB/Putin to invade.They can pay for it.
I ride Brompton and a 100% British Vintage