Pedal stuck in crank

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Blackredgold1964

Pedal stuck in crank

Post by Blackredgold1964 »

The right hand pedal is stuck. I’ve damaged the bolt for the Allen key.
WhatsApp Image 2023-05-26 at 21.46.14.jpg
You cannot loosen the pedal with a spanner from the outside as you would do with normal pedals as it’s an Ergotec pedal, https://www.ergotec.de/de/produkte/peda ... /ep-1.html
WhatsApp Image 2023-05-26 at 21.45.50.jpg
I’ve laid the bike on the side and sprayed WD40 over the bolt/axle and tapped the crank with a hammer to perhaps assist the fluid to penetrate into the thread. That’s how I loosened the other side quite quickly.

Any other advice would be very welcome. Otherwise I suppose it’s atrip to the bike shop.
Jdsk

Re: Pedal stuck in crank

Post by Jdsk »

While we’re waiting for the suggestions I recommend soaking it in a penetrating fluid such as PlusGas rather than ordinary WD-40.

Jonathan
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

You could try heating it, but failing that, take the pedal off and hold the spindle in the vice. The pedal's no good now anyway, so if there's no cone you can remove behind that dustcap, just cut it off.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

Do all the penetrating oil stuff, and maybe heat, although I’d go carefully with that to avoid creating a heat affected zone in the crank, then hammer a torx bit into the socket, and try undoing it with a spanner on that ..,…. Having first triple checked the correct way to turn it, which even after doing it oodles of times I still sometimes get wrong!
Steve

Post by Steve »

I've got one like this, it's going to stay in there until I really do have to get it out, and then the crank (circa 1990) will be sacrificed!
Blackredgold1964

Thanks, everyone, for the suggestions. I bought some plus gas alternative at Halfords, and sprayed and tapped away all three days over the BH weekend, occasionally heating with a hair dryer. I only managed to make the Allen bolt worse still, so it's a trip to the shop unfortunately.
Best wishes
Matthias
alexnharvey

Post by alexnharvey »

A slightly larger torx bit will grip better. Heat from a hair dryer or heat gun will help penetration of the oil and should expand the crank more than the axle. An impact driver or wrench is supplies shock which can get things moving.

PS Are you 100% sure you're going the right way?
Blackredgold1964

thx again, alxnharvey, for the suggestions and I think I'm going the 'right' way, literally. Looking at the first photo I posted from the inside of the crank I turn the allen key clockwise
javatime

Post by javatime »

It wouldn't cost anything to try a few thermal shock as well - it has worked for me removing stuck seat pins

Get the crank and pedal very cold in the deep freeze

Then remove from deep freeze and pour boiling water over it. Try repeating that a few times.

(I couldn't get my bike frame in the deep freeze so used a plumbers freeze spray)
Airsporter1st

Post by Airsporter1st »

To get the penetrating fluid in effectively, its best to warm the parts up with a heat gun and then apply the fluid, which will be drawn in as the parts cool.

Personally, I’d hammer in a torx bit, heat the crank with a heat gun and then try to undo it. If the crank is aluminium or similar alloy then it should expand more than the pedal, thus relaxing the fit.
rogerzilla

Post by rogerzilla »

It's dead anyway, so you can dismantle the pedal (with a saw if necessary). If there's nothing flat to grab inside, file or grind flats. Then use a vice or a big spanner.
Identicalbutlighter

Post by Identicalbutlighter »

My tactic has always been heat, from a paint stripper to start with, then when that fails, oxyacetylene which with a small tip can get very localised heat without getting the crank itself too hot. When that fails I go for the remove the pedal and see if the spindle will turn.
The last memorable one needed milling out carefully with a carbide end mill on the milling machine, that was an XTR pedal stuck in a Middleburn crank, saved the crank though, and I didn't want to risk it with much heat.
jimlews

Post by jimlews »

Given that you are considering junking the whole crank and pedal, why not drill out the pedal.
Centre punch the pedal spindle in the centre of the allan key recess and drill with progressively larger bits starting with circa 3mm and working up to just shy of the crank thread. Then use punch or similar drift to 'peel' the remaining thread away from the (female) crank thread.
i.e towards the centre of the hole.
Just don't expect to do it quickly. Slow speed drill with lubrication; something like paraffin may be a cheap lube option.
richardfm

Post by richardfm »

jimlews wrote: 2 Jun 2023, 5:54pm Given that you are considering junking the whole crank and pedal, why not drill out the pedal.
Centre punch the pedal spindle in the centre of the allan key recess and drill with progressively larger bits starting with circa 3mm and working up to just shy of the crank thread. Then use punch or similar drift to 'peel' the remaining thread away from the (female) crank thread.
i.e towards the centre of the hole.
Just don't expect to do it quickly. Slow speed drill with lubrication; something like paraffin may be a cheap lube option.
I couldn't see anything indicating that the OP is considering junking the crank and pedal. If he is why would he be bothered about removing the pedal from the crank?
Richard M
Cardiff
hamster

Post by hamster »

Dumb question to start: you know that is the one with a left hand thread?

I agree with the Torx bit approach, I've used is successfully on some horribly rusted up things.
If all else fails, then dismantle the pedal and grip the shaft with mole grips (try to avoid the bearing surfaces).