Cycling to a recycling centre

ferdinand

Re: Cycling to a recycling centre

Post by ferdinand »

cycle tramp wrote: 6 Jan 2022, 9:46pm If your local council prevents anyone using a bicycle to access a service which is available to car users then you can argue against the ban using both the arguments of green travel and social inclusion.
No council should be offering a two tiered system where certain services are denied to segments of the population who do not have access to the same tools.
What an excellent thread.

I think it may be possible to argue secondary discrimination on the basis that many people with a disability use their bicycles (tricycles, quadricycles, tandems etc) as a mobility aid and are unable to access the service otherwise. Which argument may also ability to mobility scooters, or various adapted microcars (once we get around to allowing them generally).
(Highlighted by Wheels for Wellbeing here:
https://wheelsforwellbeing.org.uk/wp-co ... v-2017.pdf)

But TBH the "cycle access to tips" argument has a feel of one which is on the way to being comprehensively won.

We now need to start on McDonalds Drive-Thru.
plancashire

Post by plancashire »

It never occurred to me to ask about this here in Düsseldorf, Germany. I just go to my friendly Recyclinghof at Lohausen and get rid of stuff from my bike trailer. The staff are always helpful. People who come in cars wander about finding the right container. Is it Britain that should have the reputation of being a rules-obsessed society now?
I am NOT a cyclist. I enjoy riding a bike for utility, commuting, fitness and touring on tout terrain Rohloff, Brompton M3 and Wester Ross 354 plus a Burley Travoy trailer.
mjr

Post by mjr »

plancashire wrote: 31 May 2023, 9:47pm Is it Britain that should have the reputation of being a rules-obsessed society now?
Well, on the one hand, some Mainwaring-types have always been about. On the other hand, 52% voted for more rules a few years ago, although some of those say they believed absurd campaign claims that there would be fewer.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

I'm wondering what the council would say about a velo-car turning up ?

- Nigel
Airsporter1st

Post by Airsporter1st »

Reading all this reaffirms my decision to move to Spain. We don’t have household bins; instead at the end of most roads within the urbanisations there are large bins in which we drop our rubbish for collection on a daily basis. Some areas have segregation, i.e. different bins for different refuse types. Large items, such as sofas, beds etc. can be left beside the bins, as can garden waste. Most electrical and/or metal items are removed by unofficial pickers and thereby recycled.
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

Have collected 23 fruit juice containers. Will be committing that serious offence of recycling fruit juice containers as a cyclist, today. I

Sundays are best, as there are large numbers of 4/4's queued outside on Sundays, so staff are often indifferent about an "illegal" cyclist, recycling. Though no doubt I'll cause offence, as it's a local custom to properly wrap your recycling up properly in plastic bags. And have no doubt that I'll be overtaking the queue of "properly" recycling motorists, the offence I'll cause :lol:
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

At Essex County Council recycling centres, rule number 1 is:
"You will need to book a slot to visit the recycling centre unless you are a Blue Badge holder or visiting as a pedestrian or cyclist."

Airsporter1st wrote: 12 Jun 2023, 11:40amWe don’t have household bins; instead at the end of most roads within the urbanisations there are large bins in which we drop our rubbish for collection on a daily basis. Some areas have segregation, i.e. different bins for different refuse types.
How do the disabled get on with that, having to take several different bins to the end of the street and back?
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

Quite positive that Essex are allowing pedestrians and cyclists. Though surely requiring motorists to book a sloit, reduces recycling?
mjr

Post by mjr »

axel_knutt wrote: 2 Jul 2023, 1:02pm At Essex County Council recycling centres, rule number 1 is:
"You will need to book a slot to visit the recycling centre unless you are a Blue Badge holder or visiting as a pedestrian or cyclist."

Airsporter1st wrote: 12 Jun 2023, 11:40amWe don’t have household bins; instead at the end of most roads within the urbanisations there are large bins in which we drop our rubbish for collection on a daily basis. Some areas have segregation, i.e. different bins for different refuse types.
How do the disabled get on with that, having to take several different bins to the end of the street and back?
Disabled people usually get an "assisted lift" service in most places, where the collectors take the bins from the backyards still.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
nosmarbaj

Post by nosmarbaj »

gbnz wrote: 2 Jul 2023, 2:16pm Quite positive that Essex are allowing pedestrians and cyclists. Though surely requiring motorists to book a sloit, reduces recycling?
Here in West Berkshire booking was introduced during Covid restrictions; I think many other places did the same. And like many places, booking is still required long after official Covid restrictions ended. But I think the minor inconvenience of booking (mostly a slot is available within half a day or so) is offset by the positive of nowadays generally not having to queue at the site.

As far as cycling into the sites is concerned, there is absolutely no explicit information on whether it's allowed - at least not that I could find. But the online booking form does assume that you'll be arriving by car - you have to get a (free) permit for your car before booking.
Airsporter1st

Post by Airsporter1st »

axel_knutt wrote: 2 Jul 2023, 1:02pm At Essex County Council recycling centres, rule number 1 is:

We don’t tend to have the wheelie bin type in the houses, so its usually a case of carting one or more plastic bags to the end of the street and, being daily, they tend to be fairly light. Most of the disabled folk I see have some form of assistance available, from friends, relatives, neighbours and even the State, I believe.