Cycle Travel Question

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Psamathe

Re: Cycle Travel Question

Post by Psamathe »

MrsHJ wrote: 2 Jun 2023, 5:36pm Cycle travel the app doesn’t seem to think I’m a subscriber although it happily talks to my cycle.travel account on safari which shows that I am. Not a big deal but if anyone knows how to join the 2 up that would be nice.
I had a similar issue - what seems to be needed is a "Restore Purchases" option. What I ended-up doing was to purchase again but the purchase process came back and said I already had a subscription and rejected the purchase but going through that seemed to restore the subscriber status in the iPhone app.

I was fairly safe as my next subscription payment was only a few days away so if it duplicated then it would only be a few days but it didn't. So reporting what I did - try at your own risk.

Ian
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

I don't think that's the issue - MrsHJ is a Patreon supporter and a "Restore Purchases" button would only be relevant to anyone who's signed up via Apple.

As best I can see the website is correctly telling the app that you're a supporter. It might be worth logging out then in again using the app ("Settings"->"Account status"->"Log out"). If that doesn't fix it then let me know what it says in the "Account status" popup!
SA_SA_SA wrote: 31 May 2023, 3:33pmIf the routing engine has been updated between when a route was last saved and its current reopening, could a warning dialog be given, so that the user knows that any new saved changes after that will require them to inspect the entire route to check any new routing is acceptable to them?
The routing weightings are refined pretty much with every map update (i.e. once a month or so) so I suspect that might end up in a bit of a crying-wolf situation. :) In the future I might be able to look at some sort of optional detection if the new line diverges significantly from the old one, but as you guessed I'm concentrating on the app at the moment so I don't have a lot of headspace to consider nice-to-haves on the website!
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

I’ve deleted and reloaded the app (I had a few occasions today when it didn’t tell me I was off route and the light was too bright to notice the screen lighting up- I was conserving battery as I had a long day). Plus I was listening to a good book so I may have been concentrating on that and missed the prompt!

So reloaded and logged in and it definitely thinks I’m a supporter now. I probably just need to log in if I see that again.
Steve X

Post by Steve X »

We have just completed the coasts and castles route and your GPX came in handy, thank you. We we got to Dunbar we came across a cycling route that does not appear to be on your site The John Muir Way, https://johnmuirway.org/doing-route/cycling-route/. Possibly this is deliberate, but thought you may wish to know about.

Thanks for all your work.
Richard Fairhurst

RickH wrote: 28 May 2023, 2:56pm Would it be possible to be able to clear/delete a route when you've only defined the start.
Yes - this should be working now!
Sparky56 wrote: 2 Jun 2023, 4:11pm is there a way to import GPX files into the cycle.travel app on iOS please (iPad and iPhone) ?

i cant seem to see a setting.

I’ve paid for the supporter membership. & will test out in comparison with the ordnance survey app as per my other thread.

edit: I see that gpx can be uploaded by the web app - but that cycle.travel app might change it. Is there a way to import gpx without it being adjusted?
Not as yet. cycle.travel only really understands the concept of a planned route between via points, and so when you import a GPX track into the website, it has to work out what via points would be necessary to make it follow that track. If you've planned a route up the M6 it won't like it very much ;)

For the app I can see that it might be useful just to load up a GPX you've found somewhere and follow it (even if it is along the M6). It's on the list of things I'd like to add but will have to wait until the first version of the Android app is done. Worth remembering though that, if it's a pure GPX track, you won't get turn-by-turn directions - just a line on the screen to follow.
MrsHJ wrote: 3 Jun 2023, 7:00pm I’ve deleted and reloaded the app (I had a few occasions today when it didn’t tell me I was off route and the light was too bright to notice the screen lighting up- I was conserving battery as I had a long day). Plus I was listening to a good book so I may have been concentrating on that and missed the prompt!

So reloaded and logged in and it definitely thinks I’m a supporter now. I probably just need to log in if I see that again.
Excellent - glad it's working. If it does it again then let me know (and any circumstances that might have contributed, e.g. being offline when opening the app or something) - it shouldn't really do that.
Steve X wrote: 4 Jun 2023, 8:55pm We have just completed the coasts and castles route and your GPX came in handy, thank you. We we got to Dunbar we came across a cycling route that does not appear to be on your site The John Muir Way, https://johnmuirway.org/doing-route/cycling-route/. Possibly this is deliberate, but thought you may wish to know about.
Thanks! It's semi-deliberate - my understanding was that the John Muir Way was a bit gravelly rather than being an all-purpose cycling route, and I wouldn't want to send people that way on an unsuitable bike. But I've not ridden it and I'd be interested to hear reports from people who have.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Anyone wanting the John Muir way a search ‘John Muir’ in Cycle travel brings it up.
There’s some pushing along with gravel.
IMG_0135.jpeg
I’ve done some of the unpaved in the East without a problem but it was summer.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Paulatic wrote: 5 Jun 2023, 1:06pm ...There’s some pushing along with gravel.
I’ve done some of the unpaved in the East without a problem but it was summer.
the official website shows some cycle "braids" which are diversions to avoid some (vulnerable) footpaths. Did you take those?

[it rains more than occasionally in Scotland, so I'm not keen on hike-a-bike or "unsurface path" sections!]
tel60

cycle travel question

Post by tel60 »

I had a go creating routes through France this afternoon and cycle.travel is behaving very odd. It seems to be ignoring all the EuroVelo tracks marked on the map even when I set Surface to ‘Any’. Is there a setting I haven’t found?
Woodtourer

Re: cycle travel question

Post by Woodtourer »

Maybe pose the question on their Feedback Forum.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

Or the main "Cycle Travel Question" topic, just below (currently last posted to on 5th June).

Richard (the developer) does answer questions in that topic, and it would seem better not to have multiple versions of the same topic, so if a Moderator could move the original post ???

It seemed OK just now.
When asked for a route between Roscoff and Carnac it mostly followed EV1 until just south of Rostrenen. It's not religious about following cycle routes though, so if there's a shorter/flatter/better surfaced route that uses quiet roads, it will abandon the cycle route for the alternative (e.g. Roscoff to Huelgoat abandons EV1 before reaching Morlaix).
Richard Fairhurst

Nothing's changed (that I'm aware of!) and it still seems to be using EuroVelo routes where appropriate - e.g. https://cycle.travel/map?from=Hendaye&t ... -1.1520434 . Happy to take a closer look if you can give me "steps to reproduce" (i.e. a set of instructions to follow that will demonstrate the problem).
slowster

Post by slowster »

andrew_s wrote: 21 Jun 2023, 1:31am Or the main "Cycle Travel Question" topic, just below (currently last posted to on 5th June).

Richard (the developer) does answer questions in that topic, and it would seem better not to have multiple versions of the same topic, so if a Moderator could move the original post ???
Done.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

I’m seeing some inconsistencies between the elevation summaries for a multi day ride and the individual days when they are broken out. The individual days look to be right. Eg on this one day 15 looks odd when you see the little summary at the bottom of the map for day by day climbing.

https://cycle.travel/map/journey/446390
Richard Fairhurst

Yep - that happens on the longest routes where it will take a slightly downsampled view of the elevation in order to keep it snappy and not to throw too much data around. If you press the button to load the turn-by-turn directions, that’ll get the full detail elevation too.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Richard Fairhurst wrote: 1 Jul 2023, 12:18pm Yep - that happens on the longest routes where it will take a slightly downsampled view of the elevation in order to keep it snappy and not to throw too much data around. If you press the button to load the turn-by-turn directions, that’ll get the full detail elevation too.
Got it thanks, yes, when I put turn by turn day 15 went from 1300m climbing to 380 and days 13/14 went to where I expected them to be too- they’re the tougher days but I should have my legs in by then.