HP Velotechnik introduced new delta trike

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
Psamathe

HP Velotechnik introduced new delta trike

Post by Psamathe »

https://www.recumbent.news/2023/06/01/breaking-news-hp-velotechnik-introduced-new-delta-trike/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=breaking-news-hp-velotechnik-introduced-new-delta-trike wrote:HP VELOTECHNIK INTRODUCED NEW DELTA TRIKE
It will be the first delta trike from this German manufacturer, and although it can’t be described as a full recumbent trike, it is still interesting in many ways
Ian
Stradageek

Re: HP Velotechnik introduced new delta trike

Post by Stradageek »

I think I'd describe it as an electric vehicle rather than a recumbent trike, or it could even be labelled a high speed mobility scooter - not sure I'd want to ride it without the electric assist.

That aside, it does tackle one problem suffered by most electric bikes which is their weight. I've manhandled a number of electric bikes and whilst fine when underway they are beasts to park or pick up when laid down. No such problem with this trike and the delta configuration ensures excellent manoeuverability.

Whoops, just translated the press release (see below) and it seems I wasn't far off the mark, bold text is my emphasis

"Frankfurt am Main. With the Delta tx, HP Velotechnik presents a scooter bike with a high comfort seat and particularly easy access. This world premiere can be seen at the Eurobike trade fair (June 21-25) at the booth of the recumbent manufacturer (Hall 8, B57).

Extensive test rides with the e-chopper are possible on the test course (outdoor area F100/D28). The Delta tx was developed specifically for people who want a lot of support and comfort when cycling and therefore need a stable, tip-resistant vehicle with a low entry height. CEO Paul Hollants explains: “Our goal was to take the concept of a senior tricycle to the next level.” But during the test rides, he says, they quickly discovered that “there’s a lot more riding fun in it!” Whether cruising in the city or shopping with plenty of storage space: “The Delta tx is very well received across generations. You don’t need to be at least a certain age to enjoy the casual riding position on a chopper.”"
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

Electric only but I'm all for this kind of machine if it can be bought and used as a (2nd) car replacement.

I like their use of two freewheels built into the axle rather than a differential. Note that it's a single shock so the two rear wheels do not have independent suspension unlike the Hase trikes with suspension. But the price is comparable to the unsuspended Trigo with STEPS motor.

Notice how much better the chain line is on this than on HPVelo's other trikes and bikes because the chain is not constrained to always be above the swingarm pivot. That's an advantage of not having a rear triangle.
Last edited by UpWrong on 4 Jun 2023, 4:54pm, edited 1 time in total.
KM2

Post by KM2 »

Why are two freewheels better than a differential?
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

KM2 wrote: 4 Jun 2023, 12:09pm Why are two freewheels better than a differential?
Better in function, reliability, serviceability and weight - though I'm no expert.
I think the slowest wheel gets driven rather than the fastest which works better when traction is poor.

Some discussion of the differences here, viewtopic.php?t=111678&start=15

I read elsewhere that slow very tight turns are better with a differential but I'd rather have a dual freewheel.
KM2

Post by KM2 »

Thanks, I’ll have a look.
a.twiddler

Post by a.twiddler »

In theory, a differential while giving 2 wheel drive in normal circumstances can cause loss of drive on slippery surfaces. If one wheel loses grip and spins, the other wheel will stop turning. A set up using 2 freewheels gets round this as if one wheel slips, the other wheel will continue to drive. Whether HP Velotechnik use two actual freewheels, or a clutch bearing on each wheel ( a type of one way bearing which spins freely in one direction but locks in the other), the result is the same.

I don't have vast experience of trikes, but my Sinner delta trike has the latter set up, and it works well on iffy surfaces. Whether in real life terms the extra complication of dual drive outweighs the simplicity of single wheel drive I can't say, but once you add a motor I imagine it becomes easier to overcome available grip so it becomes more important.
Grldtnr

Post by Grldtnr »

Hmm! It's shopper / utility bike rather than a serious touring machine, but I guess you can load a week's camping gear in the ' trunk' , bike packing bags elsewhere.
I'll stick with my tadpole.
A laid back, low down, layabout recumbent triker!
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

My impression and what I found interesting is more that I see it as HP Velotechnik moving into a different market sector or rather broadening their offering. I can't see their new model really appealing to any of their existing customer base except maybe those whose physical limitations worsen to the point where the existing recumbent offerings are not so practical? But struck me as primarily a broadening of their market using technology they are very familiar with.

Ian
skelo

Post by skelo »

Probably not for the 'purists' but anything that broadens the choice in disability cycling has to be a good thing.

.It looks like a slight 're-engineering' of a Van-Raam or Hase. So hardly ground-breaking

I doubt this helps with the biggest barrier to disability cycling-the price (i guess we don't know details yet?)
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

skelo wrote: 4 Jun 2023, 6:39pm Probably not for the 'purists' but anything that broadens the choice in disability cycling has to be a good thing.

.It looks like a slight 're-engineering' of a Van-Raam or Hase. So hardly ground-breaking

I doubt this helps with the biggest barrier to disability cycling-the price (i guess we don't know details yet?)
Think I saw a figure of from 5,990 euros which seems pretty good. Options might bump that up in a big way though.

EDIT: Got that wrong, the press release says from 5,990 euros. I thought 4990 was surprising low :lol: