day time telly

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
simonineaston

day time telly

Post by simonineaston »

There's a storm in a teacup on the news at the mo' concerning an older media celeb who's made a fool of himself over a youngster - plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose!
So, what's the point of day time tv and does anybody with any sense watch it? Or is it just irrelevant froth?
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Psamathe

Re: day time telly

Post by Psamathe »

I don't watch daytime TV and am not a fan of the non-event programs designed to fill the hours of some people's day.

But I confess to being confused about what all the fuss is in Schofield's case. He had a consensual affair with a younger adult (legal, completely consensual) and neither party raised any complaints anywhere. Happens all the time all over the country, often between senior and junior people working in same office.

I appreciate there is concern about "abuse of power" but neither of the parties have alleged such so that strikes me as more "buttock covering" by employers than addressing complaints or what happened.

Cynic in me wonders if Schofiled's way way OTT "mea culpa" is centred around his audience, the extreme contrition being needed to give him a chance to be forgiven by daytime TV viewers?

Normally when people start "it's because I'm <some minority group>" cynic in me asks "why?" (because the issue is unrelated to being in a minority group). But Schofield and others have said it's being made bigger than it really is because of it being a homosexual affair - and I'm inclined to think it possibly is (but just my gut feeling there).

But them I also wonder is it really a big massive issue we are being told it is? Or is it just that some of the press leap on any sniff of scandal. Reading my Guardian and other news feeds I've seen a couple of reports but not a lot

I suspect in 6 months well have a book "My Biggest Mistake" followed by doing the TV interview rounds pushing the book by which time all forgotten and he'll be standing in for a sick or holiday covering for presenter ..... back to where we were a few months ago (different program, different channel, same stories/content).

Ian
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

I’m no daytime tv fan, and can be cynical of the motives and behaviours of ‘celebs’, but I get the sense that PS is genuinely shaken by realisation of the folly of his past actions.

Why now? Well, his bro was convicted of a series of child-sex offences only a couple of weeks ago, and I wonder whether understanding what his bro had done made him question his own behaviour, even if it didn’t fall into the same bracket, or whether the press were turning over his past looking for suggestions of criminality or impropriety, he knew that, and decided to speak out before a story broke in a way that falsely tried to tar him with the same brush as his bro.
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

Very harsh to call his life a sham.

There are plenty of people around who’ve dropped into the conventional, heterosexual groove almost by default, only to gradually find that their sexuality isn’t that at all, going through long periods of mental conflict and anguish in the process, unable to come to terms with it themselves, let alone bring on the consequences of it in terms of impact on their family (and historically job, in the days when such a thing often involves ‘career suicide’). You could say that such people ‘lie’, or that they deny their inner truth to protect their families.

I know two women who married young, had children, did the conventional family things, only to slowly realise that their unhappiness stemmed from conflicted sexuality. Both are now happily married to other women. And, I knew one chap with wife, children, and an outwardly happy family life, who walked into the Thames and was fished out dead days later, because he couldn’t face the impact of what came to light after his demise.

I reckon this is all pretty deep and complicated.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Whatever he has done wrong, and whatever we think about him or his talents or otherwise, Schofield is clearly in a very delicate state right now and needs looking after. This is a time for folk to think about mental health, and of ways of healing.
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

Can't say I have ever heard of Schoolfield before - it is even more tedious than the Linekar farcical. and that takes some doing.

Why is it prime time headline news, is there not more important things happening in the world ? . A lot less attention should be paid to these vastly overpaid, over hyped up, media celebrities.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

+1, so hes a homosexual, so what? He told a porky, so what? Fuss about nothing. Frankly I would rather read the Daily Stars stories about aliens

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
briansnail

Post by briansnail »

TV Boring.Use BBC Iplayer. I mind by own business.His detractors should do the same.
I ride Brompton and a 100% British Vintage.
pwa

Post by pwa »

deleted
Last edited by pwa on 5 Jun 2023, 4:13pm, edited 1 time in total.
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

I'm really not at all interested in the Celeb gossip scene, but it has got me mulling over the question of if and when an employer is entitled to know private details of an employees workplace relationships. I suppose there may be an angle with bringing the employer into disrepute, or a problem continuing to work together if the relationship breaks up, but I'm not sure I'd take kindly to the boss grilling me about a girlfriend. As long as there isn't anything illegal, or sex on company property/time, then I don't see any great issue for the employer that don't amount to the normal personnel up & downs of running a business.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

axel_knutt wrote: 4 Jun 2023, 12:21am I'm really not at all interested in the Celeb gossip scene, but it has got me mulling over the question of if and when an employer is entitled to know private details of an employees workplace relationships. I suppose there may be an angle with bringing the employer into disrepute, or a problem continuing to work together if the relationship breaks up, but I'm not sure I'd take kindly to the boss grilling me about a girlfriend. As long as there isn't anything illegal, or sex on company property/time, then I don't see any great issue for the employer that don't amount to the normal personnel up & downs of running a business.
Maybe even more complex when many "celebrities" are not "employees" but "contractors". I've no idea how Schofield's employment arrangements were setup but in a general context it might be significant. Came up recently when BBC tried to muzzle Lineker from expressing his personal opinions on his personal site.

Ian
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

or sex on company property/time,
Which PS has openly confessed occurred multiple times.

That’s where the employer’s duty of care becomes really pointed.

It happened within the team that I managed, with one party then departing and alleging constructive dismissal against the company by failing to protect them from the predations of the other party. The allegations were dismissed at tribunal, because there was ample evidence of consent and connivance (both parties lost their jobs with no compensation, and both got a serious telling-off by the court), but it created a seriously bad atmosphere for a period.
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

Age difference is the thing - what was it Prince Andrew with his power and privilege was 40 and the young lady 17 and his name and status was destroyed. How old was schfield (mid 50s) and was the young lad 18?

can't recall anyone worrying about Prince Andrews mental health....
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Pebble wrote: 4 Jun 2023, 11:08am Age difference is the thing - what was it Prince Andrew with his power and privilege was 40 and the young lady 17 and his name and status was destroyed. How old was schfield (mid 50s) and was the young lad 18?

can't recall anyone worrying about Prince Andrews mental health....
In the case of Prince Andrew i think for most people it was not the age difference that was important but the age of the girl (below the legal age on consent in Florida ...). Plus allegations of trafficking ...

Ian
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

Pebble wrote: 3 Jun 2023, 11:26am Can't say I have ever heard of Schoolfield before - it is even more tedious than the Linekar farcical. and that takes some doing.

Why is it prime time headline news, is there not more important things happening in the world ? . A lot less attention should be paid to these vastly overpaid, over hyped up, media celebrities.
I'm agreeing with Pebble. Sorry, Pebble.. I'll try and not let it happen again.
Motorhead: god was never on your sidehttps://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&client=m ... +your+side