TRP Spyre Disc brake calipers

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
ian peacock

TRP Spyre Disc brake calipers

Post by ian peacock »

I am thinking of replacing my 20-year-old Avid BB7's with TRP Spyres, because on the latter, both pistons act on the disc when the lever is pulled. So, are the Spyres as good as they sound? Ian
PH

Re: TRP Spyre Disc brake calipers

Post by PH »

You'd think so, two pistons moving has to be better than one doesn't it? Maybe it is, but if the BB7's are adjusted correctly the rotor is moving onto the fixed pad with so little loss that it makes too small a difference for me to notice. If everything else was equal and you had a BB7 piston on each side the difference might be more noticeable, but the TRP's have such a miniaturised mechanism to fit between fork and spokes, the compromises outweigh the advantages IMO.
TheBomber

Post by TheBomber »

Can't remember where I read this one:

If you want to squash a piece of plasticine you could place it between finger and thumb and squeeze, but you'd probably get it flatter if you put it on the table and just squashed it with your thumb...

Is that because your finger is the weakest link? That fits with PH's musings where the savings in not having to bend the rotor are offset by the inferior pistons.
boblo

Post by boblo »

I've used Spyres and BB7's. I find the braking decent with both - nothing really in it.

The Spyres are a bit lighter and the BB7's a bit more agricultural. However, you have to keep Spyres clean/fettled especially when there's salt around and (apparently) there's a risk of melting your big plastic knob with the BB7's if things get out of hand...

I've gravitated towards Spyres (on 4 of my bikes) mainly as they're lighter and I keep my stuff fettled anyway so maintenance is a non issue for me.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

ian peacock wrote: 31 May 2023, 2:55pm I am thinking of replacing my 20-year-old Avid BB7's with TRP Spyres, because on the latter, both pistons act on the disc when the lever is pulled. So, are the Spyres as good as they sound? Ian
Did you read this thread ? viewtopic.php?t=156427
PT1029

Post by PT1029 »

Spyres are much easier to set up than BB7s. BB7s get a bit easier once you get the hang of it..
When I was looking at brakes to buy, I read of more of people having issues getting Spyres to work well, than I did read of people having issues with BB7s.

Matching the calipers to levers is the most important part. I serviced a friend's Ridgeback Panorama tourer, all original parts. 9s STI levers and TRP calpiers (all original to the bike). Even with new cables/compressionless outers/good cable runs/run in new pads, while they did stop you, they never had any real bite - no chance of a proper emergency stop.

Our tandem and my new tourer both have ATB BB7s.
The tourer 160/180 mm discs with the black caliper version (more corrosion resistant), ATB version with V drop bar levers which work well (never had to pull hard on the lever yet).
With XT rapid fire levers and 200mm discs, our tandem stops quicker than any solo in the shed!
Cyckelgalen

Post by Cyckelgalen »

The Spyres may be easy to adjust, but they are awful at holding the adjustment. There is nothing to lock the pistons in place other than a smearing of blue threadlock, that stops locking the threaded pistons after you adjust them a number of times. The Hayes CX I use on my tourer have a much larger diameter thread to move the piston and a grub screw to lock adjustment.
Very pleased with them, actually, despite having only one moving piston.
The Spyres have other shortcomings that Brucey pointed out in several occasions. The thrust bearings are minuscule and likely to jam when they dry out or get gritty. The three larger loose bearings that move along the ramps are also prone to corrosion. I have taken a few apart to clean and lube and it is a real PITA. I have also seen a couple of cases of malfunction, the arm moving back with a loud noise and loosing grip. It was discussed here and someone attributed it to "over camming".
Brucey was never fond of the Spyres and when I asked him once why they were becoming ubiquitous on tourers and gravel bikes, he said that it was probably because their cable pull married better with modern STI shifters rather than any inherent virtues of the design.
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

Whilst I don't doubt others' experiences of Spyres my experience on our tandem has been very positive. I don't have problems with them going out of adjustment. They are easy to set up and adjust. And I use mine all year round and have had no problems with corrosion in 5 years of regular use. I do hose the bike down after riding on gritted roads which I consider normal if you want to avoid serious corrosion of numerous parts.
hoogerbooger

Post by hoogerbooger »

I worried when Brucey highlighted lack of weather protection on Spyres....and indeed all cable disc brakes.

However, having taken both apart to clean & re- grease the tiny bearings, I found both were fine. However this bike has not done much winter salt.. and not a huge amount of rainy rides......but I serviced after 4 years of regular use.

We had a problem with overcamming initially. You hear a ping when the ball bearings get to end of the ramps. Because I didn't use the pad adjusters & I just took extra slack out of the cable, we got to 2 pings on the front and one of the pads went squewy....

For the last 18 months- 2 years I've used the pad adjusters without noticing any evidence of them working loose. I did useloctite blue thread lock when I serviced and reset them up. Then I only used the pad adjusters on one side as a precaution( also used the barrel adjusters) With loctite blue once you've broken the bind there's not a lot of resistance left......we've not noticed a problem yet.

However, I will say I find them a fussy pain in the derriere. I seem to be always adjusting them to ensure suitable brake lever travel; changing or cleaning pads.... At the front the clearance between the spokes and the fork mounting is very tight on our bike.....so had to mount the disc with screws with lower profile heads.... to avoid gouging fork or alternatively catching spokes.

I've not managed to get the braking to be that mega....at least not for very long before it needs adjusting again ( could just be me........but I've now had nearly 6 years of fiddling with them !!)
old fangled