Railways in Northern Ireland

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
simonineaston

Railways in Northern Ireland

Post by simonineaston »

Anyone got an experience of travelling around the province by rail, with or without a bike?
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
rotavator

Re: Railways in Northern Ireland

Post by rotavator »

Probably not what you want to hear but...

Coming into Belfast on the train from Dublin a few years ago youths were hurling half bricks at the windows which was not a pleasant welcome! The windows did not shatter, mind, so thumbs up to the train designer.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

:lol: I'll remember to keep my cycle helmet & goggles on...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Traction_man

Post by Traction_man »

simonineaston wrote: 4 Jun 2023, 10:23am Anyone got an experience of travelling around the province by rail, with or without a bike?
first up, I would avoid calling it 'the province' when you're here! (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alternati ... rn_Ireland)

second, NIR has a good network if you're sticking to parts of the north and east of NI, the line to Derry/Londonderry from Belfast hugs the coast north of Coleraine, lovely scenery, and also to get to Giant's Causeway by bike there are quiet roads north of Ballymoney.

the line to Newry from Belfast runs close to the Newry Canal which is a lovely cycle too, I get the train to Newry, downhill from the railway station to the canal, then cycle north to Portadown, picking up the train again there to get back to Belfast.

trains carry bikes on all services free, but only after 09.30am, and the 4000 and 3000 multiple unit trains, which is basically what covers all the routes apart from Dublin 'Enterprise' services, have dedicated bike spaces.

Goldliner coaches also carry bikes.

there are good value network passes, for trains and buses/coach.

inf at https://www.translink.co.uk/
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Thanks for that :-)
S
Traction_man

Post by Traction_man »

here's the bike space, the 4000s have room at both ends of the 3-car unit, and the 3000s have room at just one end, notionally 4 bicycles can be accommodated in each space (so 8 on the 4000s), most conductors on the trains will permit additional bikes
IMG_20230312_102824981.jpg
plus--there is a proper luggage van for bikes on the Enterprise train services between Belfast and Dublin, which can be used between Belfast/Portadown/Newry within NI.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

The reason I'm asking is that I've just made the acquaintence of a youngster from that way and she paints a positive picture of the place. It dawned on me that although I've been to southern Ireland a couple of times, my knowledge of the place further up north is zero! I could fly from Bristol to Belfast easily, with or without bike, but it's more a question of what to do then!
S
Traction_man

Post by Traction_man »

simonineaston wrote: 4 Jun 2023, 1:15pm The reason I'm asking is that I've just made the acquaintence of a youngster from that way and she paints a positive picture of the place. It dawned on me that although I've been to southern Ireland a couple of times, my knowledge of the place further up north is zero! I could fly from Bristol to Belfast easily, with or without bike, but it's more a question of what to do then!
it's a great place Simon, I have lived and worked here since moving from England to NI in 1999 and seen major positive changes over that time, especially in Belfast.

away from Belfast the roads in the countryside are quite quiet, folks are friendly everywhere you go, with time of day to chat, and it's a pleasant place for cycling around though the wind and the hills can make it a challenge sometimes!

do come and you'll be impressed I am sure :-)
harriedgary

Post by harriedgary »

I've recently travelled on the Dublin to Belfast service, and back again. As it was only brief sojourn I can't really say it's good, bad, indifferent.
I did spend rather more time in Ireland though. Just like Britain really, the scenery. And had the disconcerting experience of hearing pro IRA songs been sung on one service heading back into Dublin, think it was some drunk person's idea of humour. No worse than certain services in England for rowdyism. Though Irish people definitely seem to love their sports more.
So my take home advice would be; be aware, but besides the most recent problems reported in the press last 2 weeks, I'm sure generally it's as safe and pleasant as anywhere nowadays. I think that if you don't attract problems normally, you're unlikely to attract them more in Northern Ireland. As others have said, most people seemed nice and polite, just as you find in most locations. I wandered about in Belfast, took a few photos, didn't go to any particular 'flash' points, nice time. They use pounds not euros incidentally. I guess some shops might take euros though, as some in London do.
What I did notice was that at Belfast anyway, they kept you off the platform till the train was ready, bit like Kings Cross I suppose. So whether that little bit of extra security is extended to Londonderry etc, don't know.
Bored with earth, where is the mother ship please?
Traction_man

Post by Traction_man »

harriedgary wrote: 26 Jul 2023, 9:18pm I've recently travelled on the Dublin to Belfast service, and back again. As it was only brief sojourn I can't really say it's good, bad, indifferent.
I did spend rather more time in Ireland though. Just like Britain really, the scenery. And had the disconcerting experience of hearing pro IRA songs been sung on one service heading back into Dublin, think it was some drunk person's idea of humour. No worse than certain services in England for rowdyism. Though Irish people definitely seem to love their sports more.
So my take home advice would be; be aware, but besides the most recent problems reported in the press last 2 weeks, I'm sure generally it's as safe and pleasant as anywhere nowadays. I think that if you don't attract problems normally, you're unlikely to attract them more in Northern Ireland. As others have said, most people seemed nice and polite, just as you find in most locations. I wandered about in Belfast, took a few photos, didn't go to any particular 'flash' points, nice time. They use pounds not euros incidentally. I guess some shops might take euros though, as some in London do.
What I did notice was that at Belfast anyway, they kept you off the platform till the train was ready, bit like Kings Cross I suppose. So whether that little bit of extra security is extended to Londonderry etc, don't know.
a few points in reply from this side of the Irish Sea...

--yes Ireland is generally a quiet, friendly and relaxed place to visit (and indeed live!)--the population of NI/ROI is small compared to GB (7 million vs 67 million!), which makes for empty rural roads, especially now the motorway network is so much better, and so good cycling to be had.

--in summer avoid the touristy spots as much as poss, but that's true for anywhere I guess...

--trains, the habit of holding passengers for boarding Enterprise services (in Belfast Lanyon and in Dublin Connolly) can be a bit annoying (with or without bikes), but railway staff are friendly and helpful on NIR and on Irish Rail, so just ask if help is needed. Other train services elsewhere it's normal practice to just wait on the platform.

--and yes, NI uses GBP, it is still part of the UK ;-)
harriedgary

Post by harriedgary »

Traction_man wrote: 28 Jul 2023, 11:24am
a few points in reply from this side of the Irish Sea...

--yes Ireland is generally a quiet, friendly and relaxed place to visit (and indeed live!)--the population of NI/ROI is small compared to GB (7 million vs 67 million!), which makes for empty rural roads, especially now the motorway network is so much better, and so good cycling to be had.
I have looked at the aspects of moving to Ireland, it's tempting, but, I'm not great at mixing, and I suspect that with my natural stand offish personality which is simply due to actually being shy in real life (thank God for the internet :D ) I might be mis-interpreted as having delusions of grandeur or summat, where as I make friends slowly and cautiously.
Bored with earth, where is the mother ship please?
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

I've used the NIR a few times with my bike and it's always been OK -- haven't tried it since I've got my bus pass although I once got mistaken for a 60+ when I was 55 by some young conductor guy when he didn't ask for ticket or money and walked on past my seat. Didn't know whether to feel lucky or offended :lol:

Only one bit of advice --- bring a coat !
I am here. Where are you?
Traction_man

Post by Traction_man »

harriedgary wrote: 30 Jul 2023, 8:04pm where as I make friends slowly and cautiously.
very wise!

I find folks here warm-hearted and friendly, it's a good place to live, the only time I get nervous socially is when someone suggests a sing-a-long :shock:
Traction_man

Post by Traction_man »

Cowsham wrote: 31 Jul 2023, 4:17pm
I'm a convert to cycling in shorts, seems to suit NI climate, wet and warm!
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Traction_man wrote: 3 Aug 2023, 12:00pm
Cowsham wrote: 31 Jul 2023, 4:17pm
I'm a convert to cycling in shorts, seems to suit NI climate, wet and warm!
Don't know about the warm bit although to be honest I did a lot of cycling during last winter probably most ever winter cycling. I heard on radio it's been the wettest July ever recorded here. Hope August fairs up a bit.
I am here. Where are you?