Greek West Coast - Preveza

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
mudglutton

Greek West Coast - Preveza

Post by mudglutton »

Hi all,

I will be cycling this route, broadly following EV8, later this year. I note that the Preveza Tunnel, which is no cycling, reduces the route by about 120km. Does anyone have recent experience of getting a bike (and its rider!) shuttled through the tunnel? Do you have any tips (method, cost, ease etc.) Also, is the shortcut sensible or is the Amvrakikos Gulf worthy of an extra day's effort?

Also, any other tips would be very welcome: start and finish points are Igoumenitsa to Athens vis the Peloponnese.

Thanks,

Neil.
MrsHJ

Re: Greek West Coast - Preveza

Post by MrsHJ »

Never done it but please feed back with information as some of these slightly less frequent rides are the ones where we really want to know how it went.

If no luck here try the eurovelo Facebook page but someone here usually will be able to help.
Nealc

Post by Nealc »

I've no info on preveza. But we toured from igoumenitsa this easter and loved it. We headed north into Albania then back into Greece in the mountains. I wouldnt dismiss inland. The short bit of eV we did wasn't signed and was very quiet with bikes and cars. I hope the Greeks have put more thought than the Albanians. Further north large stretches put you on the busiest rd in albania. I wouldn't want to go before September both for heat and busy Ness.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I understand your confusion with that tunnel.

Wiki reckons there's a walkway. Other posts say a taxi shuttle, with some saying shuttle closed down due to covid.

I'd cycle it, but I see it's a toll tunnel, so it could be a problem getting in. I'd try to contact toll people or tunnel admin for current advice.

At 1.5 Kms it a tiddler in big tunnel terms. My longest was 5 Kms. Go and enjoy.
borisface

Post by borisface »

I've done quite a bit of cycling in Greece although it was at least 5 years ago now. My experience is that Greece is not a very cycle-friendly place in terms of infrastructure. It would not be a surprise that there is no provision for cyclists or pedestrians in the tunnel. Greeks just don't cycle very much and so it wouldn't necessarily be something that planners considered.

That said the Peloponnese, and Greece more generally, is a fantastic place to cycle tour. Avoid the main roads and you'll have very quiet, albeit hilly, lanes, friendly, helpful people and considerate drivers, probably because they'll think you're mad to cycle.

It can be exceptionally windy and hot if you're not used to it but at least your washing will dry quickly. So drink plenty of water and avoid the worst of the heat - around 3-5pm.

Regarding the tunnel - it might be worth trying to track down a local cycling club or cycle shop who might be able to advise. Or failing that the local council office/Police station??
pal

Post by pal »

The tunnel is definitely closed to cyclists (info here, in Greek: http://diodia.com.gr/diodia-aktio-preveza.html). My best suggestion (though not based on personal experience, sorry) would be to ask a taxi to drive you through: this taxi company looks like they offer exactly that service: https://igoumenitsatransfer.com/en/tran ... -bicycles/. There may well be others (one happy side-effect of (most) Greeks' inability to understand why anyone could ever want to cycle anywhere, when cars exist, is that they tend to be very gung-ho about sticking bikes in cars...)

I'd second the comments about the pleasures of cycling in Greece. I'm not sure what route you're planning through the Peloponnese, but if you aren't pushed for time I'd suggest heading to Troizen and taking the ferry back over via Poros and Aegina to Athens; that's a more scenic route, imo, than going via Corinth and Megara, and saves you having to negotiate the (safe, but sprawling) Athenian suburbs.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Using my normal method to see if a road is legally cyclable - Google Street view. I can confirm that coming from the SE, there are signs just before the last exit point (roads) with no cycling and no pededtrian symbols.

Going on through the tunnel, there is a walkway each side. Hard to see how wide.

Anyway, you're banned. Use a car!
mudglutton

Post by mudglutton »

Thank you all for some very helpful suggestions and links. Much appreciated.