Europe: Flying or not?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
CliveyT

Re: Europe: Flying or not?

Post by CliveyT »

simonhill wrote: 7 Jun 2023, 2:32pm .Headline is: annual gas central heating boiler produces CO2 of 6 London to New York flights.
New York is a bad example because when you're there you're almost certainly going to put even more CO2 out for personal comfort. I suppose if you spent 6 months of the year in Barbados (without air conditioning) you could claim its a carbon cutting measure
mjr

Post by mjr »

mattheus wrote: 7 Jun 2023, 2:39pm
simonhill wrote: 7 Jun 2023, 2:32pm
Nonetheless, I was surprised to see this. I've never heard of Nesta.
https://www.nesta.org.uk/press-release/ ... emissions)

Bottom line: most people unaware of what generates most CO2 in their lives.

Headline is: annual gas central heating boiler produces CO2 of 6 London to New York flights.
I've never heard of them either. I tried to read their website - after nuermous pages of buzzword bingo, I gave up trying to find what they actually DO.
I might be proved wrong, but I am deeply sceptical of their objectives ...
Nesta is the charity formerly known as the National Endowment for Science, Technology and the Arts, but you have to dig around a bit to find that. Basically good people IMO, but their history (endowed during the Blair ministry) seems to make them undercritical of government.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

ChrisF wrote: 1 Jun 2023, 9:10pm Thank you, all, for your thoughts so far.
pwa wrote: 1 Jun 2023, 3:54pm .....
Do you remember, a few years back, it was fashionable to look at one's own lifestyle and estimate how many Planet Earths we would need if everyone on the planet had that same lifestyle? And flying, just once a year, tended to tip a person into needing more than one planet.
Yes, I remember that. And I would feel much more relaxed about taking a (return) flight once a year, if I knew that was the maximum that any one could take, and also assuming that quite a a few of those on the planet won't ever want or need to fly anyway. But there are plenty of people who fly many times a year. If there could somehow be some sort of legislation to prevent this, the contribution of aviation to climate change would be much reduced. The only way of acheiving this type of change is through lobbying (or direct action) from environmental groups, which is why I am proposing supporting them. Not 'carbon offsetting' in the normal sense at all (a very dubious practice) but helping to finance those groups who have the infrastructure and knowhow to make themselves heard.
I haven't read beyond p2 yet, but have to say this strikes me as very sound thinking – and acting. Not 'carbon offsets', which are usually dodgy, but an 'action offset'.