UK Politics

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Psamathe

Re: Britannia Un-Trussed - The Sunak Sojourn

Post by Psamathe »

I always find it quite funny when people do this sort of thing
People clearly feel that Sunak is "out-of-touch" in part because of his fabulous wealth and contributed by his daft comments when he "meets" members of the public where his comment show just how he has no idea about living without £ many millions.

So they try and make out it's not important, almost trying to tell people what they should believe. I find it pitiful.

Ian
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Ian
He simply doesn't know the damage he's doing to his and his party's reputation,psst poor it has been in the past few years,his moronic utterings don't help his case one bit,which is great! :D
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

"Hunt reprimanded over wrongly implying UK public debt forecast to fall":
https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... st-to-fall

Jonathan

reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Jdsk wrote: 22 May 2023, 9:54am "Hunt reprimanded over wrongly implying UK public debt forecast to fall":
https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... st-to-fall

Jonathan

There's a very repetitive pattern to Tory ministers blatherings,they lie through their teeth constantly in the hope no one realises their lying.
W H Auden
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Jdsk wrote: 2 May 2023, 6:39pm "On 6 March 2023, Minister for the Cabinet Office and HM Paymaster General announced in reply to an Urgent Question that the Cabinet Office had been asked to look into the circumstances leading to the resignation of Sue Gray, the former Permanent Secretary for the Union and the Constitution and committed to update Parliament as appropriate."
https://questions-statements.parliament ... 02/hcws757

I can't make out the significance of this,

Guardian coverage:
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... re-on-hold
ACOBA says six months' cooling off. Could have been two years. But it's only a recommendation to the Prime Minister...

Jonathan
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Carol Vorderman reporting on what the UK media isn't,in the first minute of this YT video:- https://youtu.be/CrHWoipWBuw
W H Auden
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Sunak today:
"When it comes to honours and Boris Johnson, Boris Johnson asked me to do something that I wasn’t prepared to do, because I didn’t think it was right.
"That was to either overrule the Holac [House of Lords appointments] committee or to make promises for people. Now, I wasn’t prepared to do that. As I said, I didn’t think it was right. And if people don’t like that, then tough."

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/li ... 658b7a3c0c

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

And we've now moved to hour-by-hour counter-briefings.

Jonathan
Debs

Post by Debs »

Very interesting political analysis below, and with hope of a snap GE later in the year :D

djnotts

Post by djnotts »

All logical and based in economic facts. I noted comment that Tories "don't understand... or don't care..." The latter IMO. Yes, the economic meltdown could, logically and longer term, could be argument for an early election, but equally for a Party that acts only in the short term interests of the very few a reason to delay as long as possible.
If Sunak calls an election and loses, his claiming that would be even worse in a years time will not placate the Party faithful, leaders nor voters. He will lose leadership. And that will not serve his nor his wife's, nor his wider oligarchy's, financial interests.
As long as there is loadsa money out there for 10% of the population they will surely keep the golden calf alive.
Not sure I'd bet either way!
Debs

Post by Debs »

djnotts wrote: 14 Jun 2023, 3:06pm As long as there is loadsa money out there for 10% of the population they will surely keep the golden calf alive.
Not sure I'd bet either way!
Despite being a really brainy bloke and my favourite political analasyst, Phil Morehouse would be the first to admit his predictions don't always work out :wink:
The present administration and Tory party-skip fire situation makes predictions very difficult.
They must surely know the next GE will oust them out so i wouldn't be surprised to see them trolley dash the next year on continued asset stripping, privatisations, dodgy dealing, culture waring, lying, propagandaing, pulling of the wool over the eyes of the gullible etc... :roll:
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

"They must surely know the next GE will oust them out ...."

In the absence of a formalised tactical voting alliance between Lab and Lib Dems I would not even bet on that.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

"Conservative MP David Warburton who was caught in sex and cocaine 'sting' reveals he is quitting - handing Rishi Sunak a fresh by-election headache":
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... tting.html

That's four by-elections, if Dorries follows through on her "intention". Warburton had 56% of the vote in 2019.

Jonathan
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Rats,ship,sinking.
In the case of Dorries,she's hanging on to see if she can secure an income as an Mp now the Lords income door has been slammed shut in her face.
W H Auden
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

I feel a bit sorry for Mad Nad, all that hero worship of Boris and her justly deserved reward denied her. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: