Garmin Edge 1000 power button issues?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
TonySJ

Garmin Edge 1000 power button issues?

Post by TonySJ »

Hi All,

I have a Garmin Edge 1000 bike computer and its been very good other than the odd glitch!.
Its power button on the side has over time started to detach from the front cover making it awkward at times to turn on and off as the rubber button moves out of line with the internal button pad and I have to ease the rubber out to align the button/pad.

I've seen you can buy a replacement front cover, China mainly for about £35, and that a degree of finesse is needs to fit it as you have to solder a few wires etc.

Has anyone undertaken this repair?
Has anyone somehow glued/fixed the button that has worked ok?

Garmin want too much money to repair it and I'm still happy with the unit so wanted to try a fix first before I buy a new unit.

Regards.

T
tony171

Re: Garmin Edge 1000 power button issues?

Post by tony171 »

Hi Tony

I had exactly same issue with the button, which made it not only difficult to switch on/off but no longer waterproof.

The most difficult bit was getting the right type/size of screwdriver to fit the vey small screws to the back, they are not posidrive etc but the Star shaped ones and difficult to obtain ( I got a set off amazon I think, for approx. £5).Therefore get these first.

I ordered a new back off ebay ( hyj-tech1)for approx. £19.99 which came from Hong Kong and took approx. 7 days to arrive.

The Back was new and was complete with wires attached

On opening the Garmin it, I decided rather than try and remove the old wires by de-soldering the wires from the battery and then re solder the new ones, it would be easier to leave the old wires on the battery and de-solder the wires from the actual old back. remove the new wires from the new back and then re solder the old wires to the back ( ensure the solder from both wire does not touch) this all sounds harder than it really is , other than it is a little fiddly.

My Garmin now works fine.

Tony Gray
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

I've had the same problem with my Etrex 30.
I must look into it.
TonySJ

Post by TonySJ »

tony171 wrote:Hi Tony

I had exactly same issue with the button, which made it not only difficult to switch on/off but no longer waterproof.

The most difficult bit was getting the right type/size of screwdriver to fit the vey small screws to the back, they are not posidrive etc but the Star shaped ones and difficult to obtain ( I got a set off amazon I think, for approx. £5).Therefore get these first.

I ordered a new back off ebay ( hyj-tech1)for approx. £19.99 which came from Hong Kong and took approx. 7 days to arrive.

The Back was new and was complete with wires attached

On opening the Garmin it, I decided rather than try and remove the old wires by de-soldering the wires from the battery and then re solder the new ones, it would be easier to leave the old wires on the battery and de-solder the wires from the actual old back. remove the new wires from the new back and then re solder the old wires to the back ( ensure the solder from both wire does not touch) this all sounds harder than it really is , other than it is a little fiddly.

My Garmin now works fine.

Tony Gray

Hi Tony,
Thanks for the reply. I've found the ebay listing so will order a back from them.
Can you tell me if you can how difficult it was removing the Torx screws from the garmin as I don't have a small enough Torx screwdriver and the ones I've looked at online most appear to be poor quality and end up knackering the heads of the screws!!.
Do you recall which set of screwdrivers you bought?
Regards.
T
Yohammer

Post by Yohammer »

Maybe this will help,fits perfectly and waterproof again;
https://www.gumtree.com/p/bicycle-acces ... 1418122913
Attachments
EBAY1.jpg
Calmant224

Post by Calmant224 »

The easy way to fix the problem is by replacing the back cover case.
Here is a link from where you can purchase the part: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/363329849002
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

I bodged a repair with a strip of inner tube and some electrical tape.
Still working after a couple of years.
graywoodhouse

Post by graywoodhouse »

I have this problem on my 2015 Garmin Edge Touring. I've found a 3D printed replacement button on ebay but need to buy the correct tool for removing the casing. It looks like a 1mm hex key to me but I've also seen videos that show T4 torx being used. Does anyone know if both these screws are used on Garmin devices. I'm pretty sure it's a 1mm hex but my eyes aren't as good as they used to be!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

TonySJ wrote: 28 Feb 2020, 9:59amGarmin want too much money to repair it and I'm still happy with the unit so wanted to try a fix first before I buy a new unit.
The power button on my Garmin Montana came away, and I asked Garmin for a spare cover.
They replied with an offer of a refurbed Montana for at a reasonable cost, which I paid and they sent to me after I sent the defective one.
They didn't want me to send the LI battery back with mine, and replacement came with a new LI battery.

I then had two LI batteries.

Within a week or two, the replacement unit failed, so they sent me third replacement on return of the second, and didn't want the second LI battery.

Third unit arrived with another LI battery. This was five or six years ago, and it's still working perfectly ............... as are all three LI batteries. :D
Mick F. Cornwall