Breakdown Cover

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
fastpedaller

Re: Breakdown Cover

Post by fastpedaller »

I don't have breakdown cover for my bike - I work on the basis that I can fix most parts or walk. For the car I have RAC cover, and when the head gasket blew in January I waited 6.5 Hrs before they 'rescued' me - I could have walked home and back several times! An annoyance was that if they hadn't been drip-feeding me with messages saying "we'll be with you shortly" I could have had a lift home from a neighbour who offered, or from my Wife when she went home 2 hours prior to the pickup.
jrs665

Re: Breakdown Cover

Post by jrs665 »

fastpedaller wrote: 8 Jun 2023, 5:27pm I don't have breakdown cover for my bike - I work on the basis that I can fix most parts or walk. For the car I have RAC cover, and when the head gasket blew in January I waited 6.5 Hrs before they 'rescued' me - I could have walked home and back several times! An annoyance was that if they hadn't been drip-feeding me with messages saying "we'll be with you shortly" I could have had a lift home from a neighbour who offered, or from my Wife when she went home 2 hours prior to the pickup.
Had a motorbike break down, didn't have breakdown cover, walked 60 miles back. From home, contacted the RAC, they told me to meet them at the bike, could join on the spot but would pay more as joining during a callout. Called them then set out to the bike, the police were at the bike. Police called the RAC who told them they won't be coming as I'm not a member.

When I got a car got AA cover. Called them 2 times for burst tires, they arrived each time within an hour. Brought my car and me back 30 miles first time, took my car and sent me home in a taxi 2nd time.

Now which is best , AA or RAC?