Can the Met be trusted?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Jdsk

Re: Can the Met be trusted?

Post by Jdsk »

"Police service has limited window of opportunity to repair public trust, says chief inspector":
https://www.justiceinspectorates.gov.uk ... lic-trust/

Jonathan
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Slowtwitch wrote: 1 Feb 2022, 5:26am In what looks everyday, as it slowly, sickeningly unfolds the police investigation into Partygate is another monumental whitewash.

Is it naive to think the Metropolitan police will investigate their employers without 'fear of favour'? Surely another force should be leading the investigation? I see trouble ahead.
This was the OP of this thread, although the short title has led to the inclusion of a range of comment beyond "Partygate."

https://committees.parliament.uk/public ... 9/default/

Hopefully, that links to the report of the Committee of Privilege's investigation. A sense of the thoroughness of this investigation may be gained from the length of the report: !00+ pages in pdf format plus links to sources quoted. In the interests of increased understanding, I've read the report (but not the links.)

Re the investigations by the Metropolitan Police, the fixed penalties issued seem to have formed part of the evidential foundation of the investigation. As a very rough indicator, "find on page" brought up some 28 relevant hits.

Anybody wanting to form their own view independently of the media spin could read the report.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Another nightmare decision for the Commissioner.

14 December 2020. Strict rules were in place.

This event has previously been investigated and no action was thought to be necessary. But this evidence wasn't available then. Now you've been told about it, and so has the rest of the world.

And it's in the offices of of the party of government. And two of those present have just been awarded honours by the King.

What would you do?

Jonathan
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

The words corrupt,top,and to bottom spring readily and correctily to mind,whether it be the police or government at all levels the country is being run by hurray Henries and Henriettas or people who only work hardest at covering their own backs,filling their own pockets and who don't give a damn for anyone or anything but self at the expence of all our welbeing.
Unfortunately the honest and straight individuals in public office are swamped by this cancer that's grown exponentially in those that govern and are trusted with our safety.
Last edited by reohn2 on 18 Jun 2023, 2:55pm, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

Jdsk wrote: 18 Jun 2023, 8:53am
What would you do?

Jonathan
There’s a limit to what one can do but I reflect that those in power should, whatever else they thought, have had much more understanding and solidarity with the general population. The best way to remove them from power is to vote for a different party at the next general election; typically that will be vote Labour, but vote tactically too to stop a Tory being elected.

Whatever you do do vote as absence from the ballet box can help the least desirable outcome.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Thanks... I was asking what you would do as Commissioner after being presented with this new evidence!

: - )

Jonathan
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Jdsk wrote: 18 Jun 2023, 1:19pm Thanks... I was asking what you would do as Commissioner after being presented with this new evidence!

Jonathan
It's obvious isn't it?
W H Auden
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

Jdsk wrote: 18 Jun 2023, 1:19pm Thanks... I was asking what you would do as Commissioner after being presented with this new evidence!

Jonathan
Ah, well, that’s a tricky one for him. He might well consult with the CPS to try and identify what’s in the public interest.

Personally I find my judgement challenged by unhappy memories of what I couldn’t do and that encourages me to be antagonistic towards those that knowingly and blatantly broke the rules - whoever they were - for their own pleasure. Whether penalising such people now is in the public interest I do not know but no doubt there are some procedures to evaluate whether that would be the case or not.

My instinct is that whilst there’s nearly always a case for pragmatism, or to turn a blind eye, serious and persistent abuse should be looked at and a balanced view - whatever that is - be taken. If the Commissioner has a similar instinct then he should be looking towards ‘prosecution’ of some of the newly identified guilty, the penalties on them won’t be particularly punitive and some justice will have been seen to be done. In general I think it socially beneficial for justice to be seen to be done.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

This event has previously been investigated and no action was thought to be necessary. But this evidence wasn't available then. Now you've been told about it, and so has the rest of the world.

And it's in the offices of of the party of government. And two of those present have just been awarded honours by the King.

What would you do?
Official statement:

"Update on assessment of alleged breaches of Covid Regulations":
https://news.met.police.uk/news/update- ... ons-468697

They're assessing it.

Jonathan
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

From the BBC's live reporting of the debate
The committee's chair, Harriet Harman, says a second report into MPs who sought to undermine their work is being prepared
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-politics-65935357
ossie

Post by ossie »

What would you do?

Jonathan
The evidence was available in Dec 2021 for the initial investigation just not a video. I'd argue the picture was just as conclusive other than a few words said. I mean they all knew they were breaking the law anyway. I'm struggling to see how the CPS could change their mind, the people in the initial picture are clearly identifiable.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... rvative-hq
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Jonathan
What would you do?
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

ossie wrote: 19 Jun 2023, 9:25pm

What would you do?

Jonathan
The evidence was available in Dec 2021 for the initial investigation just not a video. I'd argue the picture was just as conclusive other than a few words said. I mean they all knew they were breaking the law anyway. I'm struggling to see how the CPS could change their mind, the people in the initial picture are clearly identifiable.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... rvative-hq
It is of course possible that the CPS didn’t have resource at that time or that they felt political pressure or that the video provides a tipping point or that on review they feel that they should have pursued the matter earlier. Having been one of the many that abided by the law and suffered in various ways during the lockdown I’d say that prosecution of those high profile folk having a well planned and organised party would be appropriate.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

@jdsk

IIRC Your question was "What would you do?" I assume that implies "Now."

So, what would you do, now.?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Met Commissioner speaking earlier on "that video" on News Agents,2minute long video:- https://youtu.be/0z5eGE7XfKA
W H Auden