UFOs

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Jdsk

Re: UFOs

Post by Jdsk »

Cowsham wrote: 8 Jun 2023, 11:34am ...
What's really scary is that the scientists sometimes don't understand how the machines came up with the code in the first place.
For current AI systems they do. It's called programming. Unless you have a counterexample...

Jonathan
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Jdsk wrote: 8 Jun 2023, 11:37am
What's really scary is that the scientists sometimes don't understand how the machines came up with the code in the first place.
For current AI systems they do. It's called programming. Unless you have a counterexample...

Jonathan
Where have you been ?
I am here. Where are you?
maximus meridius

Post by maximus meridius »

Cowsham wrote: 8 Jun 2023, 11:34am
reohn2 wrote: 8 Jun 2023, 7:56am
Cowsham wrote: 7 Jun 2023, 11:49pm Yes but again that next step change in evolution could be the AI that replaces us and maybe already -- them hence why I said not biological or more accurately maybe biological but synthetic or manufactured.
That's a possibility though by no means a certainty.
There will be a machine super intelligence on this planet and this will happen very soon after the event horizon of this technology which is coming at speed now hence all the noise in the press about it currently.

This is only thing I believe is a certainty

I've been warning about it for many years ( about 30 years now ) but I have no idea what to do about it or what regulations to put in place to control it.

We will be like pets to it eventually.

The stage we know about is that the learning computers are producing code which their inventors ( of the learning machines ) take weeks to break down and understand.

All this going on and yet some people are more concerned about some alien being able to cross vast chasms of space and interested in us above all the other more interesting life they could find. Now that's arrogant.
I'm just a simple country boy and don't understand complex physics. For the sake of me, and maybe others who are similarly scientifically illiterate, could you explain what you mean by "event horizon" please.

Thank you.
maximus meridius

Post by maximus meridius »

Jdsk wrote: 8 Jun 2023, 11:37am

Jonathan
I read my son's masters dissertation paper on machine learning (tripos part 3, Cambridge CompSci). I didn't understand it. But I'm pretty sure he did. He wrote all the "code" for the application.
briansnail

Post by briansnail »

Do Aliens cycle?.If not they do not exist.How can any sane person not have a bicycle and cycle?
I ride Brompton and a 100% British Vintage.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Cowsham wrote: 8 Jun 2023, 11:34am There will be a machine super intelligence on this planet and this will happen very soon after the event horizon of this technology which is coming at speed now hence all the noise in the press about it currently.

This is only thing I believe is a certainty

I've been warning about it for many years ( about 30 years now ) but I have no idea what to do about it or what regulations to put in place to control it.

We will be like pets to it eventually.

The stage we know about is that the learning computers are producing code which their inventors ( of the learning machines ) take weeks to break down and understand.

I don't know enough about AI to comment other than what's in the news currently and of course the Hollywood ho ha films,but it is quite a scary prospect they are as advanced as you say.
All this going on and yet some people are more concerned about some alien being able to cross vast chasms of space and interested in us above all the other more interesting life they could find. Now that's arrogant.
I'm not arrogant about ET craft merely find it an interesting subject,I did a little reseach on UFOs when I was much younger after a sighting myself which I couldn't explain away,a silver metalic looking egg shaped craft I watched for 30seconds to a minute flying in a straight line in a clear blue sky,no yoke.
I came to the conclusion,after reading a lot of nonsense and some better articles and the odd book that there's small percentage of encounters that are genuine and can't be explained away natural or manmade aircraft.
A quote from page two
If we keep comparing possibilities with what we know or believe we know then the possibilities are limited.That is the arrogance of mankind!
Last edited by reohn2 on 8 Jun 2023, 6:24pm, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

reohn2 wrote: 8 Jun 2023, 6:15pm ...
I came to the conclusion,after reading a lot of nonsense and some better articles and the odd book that there's small percentage of encounters that are genuine and can't be explained away natural or manmade aircraft.
Whether that's "explained away" or merely "explained" there's an enormous difference between unexplained as natural or manmade aircraft and of extraterrestrial origin,

Jonathan
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Jdsk wrote: 8 Jun 2023, 6:20pm
Whether that's "explained away" or merely "explained" there's an enormous difference between unexplained as natural or manmade aircraft and of extraterrestrial origin,

Jonathan
Agreed!
Did I claim otherwise?
W H Auden
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

We're agreeing.

Please don't take quoting to imply disagreement. (I'll pick this up in that thread about etiquette.)

: - )

Jonathan
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

reohn2 wrote: 8 Jun 2023, 6:26pm
Jdsk wrote: 8 Jun 2023, 6:20pm

Jonathan
Agreed!
Did I claim otherwise?
My personal take on aliens and UFOs and the like is, they don't exist but if they do it doesn't matter cos if they've been here for at least 60 years and haven't done us harm so far I'm happy enough with them. I know what does exist and have no idea what impact it'll have but I'd guess it'll be the biggest change since the dinosaurs were wiped out.

I haven't seen all these AI films people keep referring to except terminator but that is flawed from the start. Can't be bothered with films cos the first scientific blunder just bollockses the whole film from that point on and I lose interest.
I am here. Where are you?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Cowsham wrote: 8 Jun 2023, 7:34pm My personal take on aliens and UFOs and the like is, they don't exist but if they do it doesn't matter cos if they've been here for at least 60 years and haven't done us harm so far I'm happy enough with them. I know what does exist and have no idea what impact it'll have but I'd guess it'll be the biggest change since the dinosaurs were wiped out.

I haven't seen all these AI films people keep referring to except terminator but that is flawed from the start. Can't be bothered with films cos the first scientific blunder just bollockses the whole film from that point on and I lose interest.
My personal take on UFOs is that I simply don't know what they are,but the subject intrigues me and that they exist whether they be extraterrestrial or terrestrial there is something to the subject that's more than extracting the micturate out of whoever raises the subject.

As for AI it concerns me becaause unless there's laws strictly adhered to on it to keep it firmly in it's box so fo speak it can will be,like the media,used for dark purposes at best and could possibly become a law unto itself at worst such is my very limited understanding of the subject.
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Lastest on the UFO craft claims,the US HofR is to hold a hearing on the claims:- https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/ ... estigation
W H Auden
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Very disappointed with some of the headlines about that hearing. Opportunities like that shouldn't be wasted,

Here's one that nearly cracks it:

"US House of Representatives launches probe into whistleblower claims of government's UFO cover-up":
https://www.wionews.com/trending/us-hou ... -up-602135

Jonathan
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Oh dear....
W H Auden
rjb

Post by rjb »

Have you all read the updates in the "Daily Star". :lol:

Daily-Star-6.jpg
Last edited by rjb on 26 Jul 2023, 11:40am, edited 4 times in total.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D