Essentials please, what to carry for emergency.

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
freiston

Re: Essentials please, what to carry for emergency.

Post by freiston »

As well as stuff for "mechanicals", a mobile phone (with a map app on it in case you get lost) and "In Case of Emergency" information - ID, emergency contact number, any medical info that might be useful to the emergency services - such as allergies, medication and underlying medical conditions. Often, this can be done via the "ICE" function of a mobile phone - but not everybody will know how to get to this and if the phone is smashed/dead, they won't be able to anyway.

I tend to take loads of stuff * with me on most rides but as a minimum I would take a pump and spare tube, emergency self-adhesive patches (or "proper" puncture repair kit), tyre levers and a multitool (as well as phone etc.).

* Typically I also take a few more tools and spares - cables, chain tool, spare quicklinks, screws to fit mudguard & rack fixings, some tyre boot material (piece cut out of a plastic milk bottle). I usually also have a lock and key (can be handy for a toilet break/comfort stop "emergency"). I usually have some clothing in case I become inactive and get cold - a gilet or thin insulated jacket - I have heard of others carrying an emergency foil blanket. I also have a chocolate bar in case I start to "bonk". To carry all this stuff, I use a large saddlebag - which also has my waterproof cape strapped to it. I also usually have a bottle of squash in a bottle cage.

I'm the sort who, when off the bike, usually carries a bag with stuff in it. I have some medications that I carry with me always (inhaler for asthma and skin cream for eczema) plus a small Leatherman, some hand sanitiser and maybe a couple of other things - these live in a small pouch which I transfer between bag and saddlebag.
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
richardfm

Post by richardfm »

As well as the already mentioned means to deal with punctures and a multi tool I carry a first aid kit on rides other than commuting/shops
Richard M
Cardiff
slowster

Post by slowster »

Reading between the lines of your 'Too expensive to get bike sorted' thread, you did not attempt to do much maintenance of your previous bike. I would not criticise you for that, because you did not have the tools and knowledge needed.

Your new bike will provide you with the opportunity to get to grips gradually with learning how to maintain a bike, and to buy only the tools that you need, and only when you need them.

Other than dealing with a puncture, the first component which will need replacing is likely to be the chain. The rule of thumb is that replacing a chain when it has worn/stretched by between 0.5% to 0.75% will get the longest life out of a chain, i.e. before the point at which the chain's stretch significantly accelerates the wear of the cassette (chains are generally cheaper than cassettes, so it makes sense to replace them before that happens - many people reckon on using three chains for each cassette).

So my suggestions are:

- Buy a multi-tool that you can take with you on rides which includes a chain tool, e.g. the Topeak Hexus https://www.wiggle.com/p/topeak-hexus-x-multi-tool.
- Buy a chain wear tool or a 12" steel rule (I would prefer the 12" steel rule) - see this video for a demonstration
of how to use both - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5okJdYrANt8. Measure the chain after every couple of hundred miles or so.
- Don't let the chain run bone dry with no lubricant or very dirty, which will accelerate wear. There are plenty of threads with advice on cleaning and lubricating chains, and you will find that different people prefer different cleaning regimes and different lubricants.
- Watch this video for an explanation of how to use a chain tool and how to size a replacement chain - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0YibMDWBAw.
- Check if the chain on your bike has a master link as shown in the video -
a) if it does, you can use that when you need to remove the chain. Note it is possible to open the master link without the tool shown in the video - see here viewtopic.php?p=1510495#p1510495. Most people close master links by fitting them to the chain, rotating the chain so that the master link is in the top run of the chain, and pushing down hard on the drive side pedal to snap the link together.
b) if it does not, no matter. However, I would suggest buying a master link suitable for your chain (e.g. 8 speed master link for an 8 speed chain) and taking it with you as part of your tool kit. In the rare event of the chain breaking or getting damaged while out, it is much easier to rejoin a chain, e.g. after shortening it to remove the damaged links, with a master link, as opposed to the old way of using the chain tool to push the rivet back in.

All the above might seem a bit daunting, but once your current chain has worn to the point it needs replacing, and you have removed it and fitted a new chain, you will quickly get the hang of it and be ready to do it again, and similarly be prepared to break and join a chain if you ever need to while out riding.

Once you are comfortable with dealing with the chain, you can move on to learning how to maintain another part of your bike, probably the brakes*.

* Depending upon how much your current brake pads are worn, you might need to learn how to adjust the brakes for wear and how to replace the brake pads before you need to replace the chain. In any case I suggest you focus on learning how to do one thing at a time, instead of trying to get to grips with everything at once. That way you will gradually build up the skills and knowledge (and acquire any necessary extra tools) to look after your bikes so that the bikes stay in good condition, and you are not faced in future with a £315 estimate again for a service.
Pinhead

Post by Pinhead »

AGAIN thanks

two puncture kits today and a pump and spare inner tube, still making the lists from above
AUTISTIC and proud
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Tools and spares
in addition to the helpful suggestions upthread there's lots more in the archives, and I particularly recommend:
"Maintenance and toolkit when touring":
viewtopic.php?t=130241
I periodically go over the bikes swapping fasteners so that they need as few different tools as necessary. And for unfamiliar components I load the manuals onto my 'phone (and backup devices when touring).

Psychology
There's clearly lots of variation in what others take. I recommend that you ask yourself what you'd actually do if something broke. Of course it might be worth carrying tools or spares that you wouldn't use yourself but could you get going again in the hands of some helpful stranger. I'm risk averse and would kick myself if I'd chosen not to carry something that would have made the difference.

First aid kit
This is wisely raised upthread. There's a useful discussion:
"What 1st Aid Do You Take On Tour":
viewtopic.php?t=150880

Jonathan
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

Nitrile gloves.
Available from pharmacies, hardware stores etc in boxes of 100, always put a couple of pairs into a saddle bag. Most roadside repairs have a habit of getting you absolutely filthy, doubly so if it's been wet/muddy etc. And from there, oil and grime on your hands goes all over your bar tape, jersey pockets, gloves etc.
gaz

Post by gaz »

ANTONISH wrote: 5 Jun 2023, 9:43am If I'm on a long ride or tour I usually carry a spare folder - ...
Brompt.png
Brompton? :wink:
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
keyboardmonkey

Post by keyboardmonkey »

This is my underseat pack. Sometimes I take a rack bag in which case I plonk the underseat pack in the rack bag and pad extra clothes, grub etc around it.
Topeak underseat pack, Smart light and Conti Gatorskin tyre
Topeak underseat pack, Smart light and Conti Gatorskin tyre

Contents:

2 spare tubes
Tyre levers
Multitool with chain breaker*
KMC quick links
Loose Allen key bits (where is my 5mm?) and driver
Replacement rear mech hanger
Rear brake cable
Rear gear cable
Cafe lock
Electrical adhesive tape

*I checked on a discarded chain that the chain breaker on my multitool actually works. I use the Shimano pin so the KMC quick links really are for roadside emergencies only.

Stuff
Stuff
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

Nearholmer wrote: 5 Jun 2023, 6:40am To avoid worrying the OP witless, it might be interesting if we gave rough estimates of frequency of events in units of miles/years per incident or something.
Punctures:
My record was 25 in 2208 miles and 217 days between 16.1.00 and 20.8.00, an average of one every 88 miles, and 208 hours. It included four punctures in 17 miles on 8.5.00, and four punctures in 63 miles on 29.7.00, and the latter included two punctures simultaneously from two different causes, and followed punctures on 27.7.00 and 28.7.00.

There was a 26th puncture on 1.11.00.

In a total of about 50,000 miles:
Tyre failures: Two with ruptured bracing, and one with a split.
Bike unrideable: Twice, one broken crank, one pretzelled wheel in a crash.
Broken spokes: Lost count.
Broken pedals: Three.
Broken chain, saddle rail, pannier rack, one of each.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
Galactic

Post by Galactic »

They've received a casual mention upthread, but I'd advocate for cable ties. They weigh virtually nothing, and are very versatile.

In the past I've used cable ties to: jerry rigg a rack (and that whilst touring with a heavy load, got me to the next bike shop a couple of days later); tie up a broken mudguard; attach heavy loads to the frame (when shopping for DIY and gardening stuff, but see below); hold cable housing to the frame when those stupid little plastic cable clips ping off; steady wobbly lights etc etc.

I also usually have one or two of those webbing straps with a friction buckle (dunno what they're called). Those are particularly useful when fetching a garden spade or rake or lengths of timber that get attached along the top bar. On tour I've used one of them to strap a low-rider bag to the back rack when the front rack snapped on one side. Also handy for extending guy ropes on tents and as a short washing line. Or as a belt. Not to mention securing your bike against movement when on a train/ferry.

Otherwise, as others: puncture repair kit, pump, multi-tool with allen and torx keys and chain breaker, spare inner tube, small rag, spare gear cable, a few bolts and nuts, lollipop stick (for when chain falls off). When on tour also a small first aid kit and small bottle of chain oil.

Edited to add: Oh, forgot the wee poundshop version of a leatherman. It's about 10cm long, and is mostly useful for the needlenose pliers (good for getting glass and thorns out of tires). It also has various implements on it for getting scouts out of horses' hooves, but I've not needed those bits.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Galactic wrote: 6 Jun 2023, 7:05am They've received a casual mention upthread, but I'd advocate for cable ties. They weigh virtually nothing, and are very versatile....
As "lock-on" devices? ... viewtopic.php?t=156152

Ian
Galactic

Post by Galactic »

Psamathe wrote: 6 Jun 2023, 8:55am As "lock-on" devices? ... viewtopic.php?t=156152
As a white, middle-aged male I have little to worry about. So I shall be carrying the lock on devices for those less privileged who are more likely to be stop-checked on their way to a potential disturbance.
PM999

Post by PM999 »

+1 for the electrical insulation tape. Last day of a tour this week, fully loaded, middle of nowhere and 35 miles from home. A sharp stick pierced the rear tyre and the exploding inner tube snapped the rim tape, chewing up a good 2 or 3 inches of it in the process. Easy roadside fix with the aid of the insulation tape.
Pinhead

Post by Pinhead »

Thanks all

As usual I have printed off the answers and reading them

Thanks again
AUTISTIC and proud
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

keyboardmonkey wrote: 5 Jun 2023, 10:45pm This is my underseat pack. Sometimes I take a rack bag in which case I plonk the underseat pack in the rack bag and pad extra clothes, grub etc around it.

EEB16475-155B-49F8-B1D4-3A4AB2380784.jpeg

Contents:

2 spare tubes
Tyre levers
Multitool with chain breaker*
KMC quick links
Loose Allen key bits (where is my 5mm?) and driver
Replacement rear mech hanger
Rear brake cable
Rear gear cable
Cafe lock
Electrical adhesive tape

*I checked on a discarded chain that the chain breaker on my multitool actually works. I use the Shimano pin so the KMC quick links really are for roadside emergencies only.

763BC078-D6ED-4F87-8E67-C5411A5E27EF.jpeg
I too keep my main tools/emergency stuff in a seatpack i can easily swap from bike to bike. That way I know I am sorted. But a challenge to get two cables in there without screwing them up?
Sweep