Help choosing bicycle

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
rareposter

Re: Help choosing bicycle

Post by rareposter »

SummitFreedom wrote: 9 Jun 2023, 6:21am In this video they talk about how the gear ratios on this bike are crap and make it only good for flat riding.
It's a road bike so different ratios, different geometry etc from a hybrid.

The only way you're going to find this out is by going for a test ride - you've said on a previous thread that you're quite unfit so that wont help your judgement initially because any ride will feel more difficult at first but as you get fitter and stronger it'll feel easier.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Nine pages... there are some techniques to help in making decisions. Please let us know when you feel you're ready.

Jonathan
Sparky56

Post by Sparky56 »

SummitFreedom wrote: 9 Jun 2023, 6:21am https://youtu.be/o3300u-FLic

In this video they talk about how the gear ratios on this bike are crap and make it only good for flat riding.

I want good gear ratios. I wanna be able to go up hills. There's a very steep bit early on in crab and winkle. And where I live it's hilly.

But I don't know anything about gear ratios. Someone please tell me if the 2 cycles I'm looking at have good enough gear ratios that it'll make hill climbing a breeze.
The bike in the video has an easiest gear of 30 front 28 back, whereas the two bikes you are looking at has easiest gear of 30 at front and 36 at the back (they appear to be the same) --- so both those bikes will be considerably easier for hill climbing than the bike in the video.
SummitFreedom

Post by SummitFreedom »

The bike project Canterbury's reply:

In terms of a bicycle, you may want to think of a hardtail mountain bike
as well, that gives you and opportunity to explore woodland as well.

Here is the link for a perfect mountain bike to explore local trails and
woodlands.
https://www.evanscycles.com/brand/whyte ... e=91050715

In terms of the 2 bicycles you have sent links to, there is not much
between them but I would personally choose the Giant over the Carrera.

What I would say is pop down to see Adam at cycles uk in Canterbury and
have a look at their range of hybrid bicycle

A pretty disappointing reply. So what do Y'all think about the mountainbike?
I never said I want to go into woodlands to him, which is what I assume he means.
But he's even saying a mountain bike for trails....
Jupestar

Post by Jupestar »

SummitFreedom wrote: 9 Jun 2023, 11:27am So what do Y'all think about the mountainbike?
Good bike, looks ideal if you want to go into Blean woods and do some of the trails (which is great fun).

Its only available in XL so unlikely to be suitable.
Sparky56

Post by Sparky56 »

SummitFreedom wrote: 9 Jun 2023, 11:27am […] A pretty disappointing reply. [...]
What kind of reply were you hoping for?
SummitFreedom

Post by SummitFreedom »

Spoke to him for half an hour on the phone. I called him.
He didn't realise the bike is only available in extra large and he says to get a mountain bike because it'll leave lots of options for exploring open to me.

I asked if I could swap the wider tires for thinner ones so I could go faster on roads if I decided I wanted to only ride roads today, he said yes you can.

Later during the call he said that you can get tires on a mountain bike that will let you do both. Ride roads fast and go off road.

So... Here we are. Now it's mountain bikes apparently.

He said on loose gravel, the hybrid will track, which he said means it'll feel unstable.

He said that won't happen with a mountain bike.

He said mountain bikes will have better gear ratios making it easier to go up hills

He said don't get the Carrera because it's garbage.
SummitFreedom

Post by SummitFreedom »

https://www.cube.eu/si-en/cube-aim-race ... ure/601400

How many gears does this have?

For example this cycle states it has 1x11 gears: https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Specialized-Ro ... 244993.htm

''Shimano Deore 1x11 speed drivetrain for intuitive gear shifting''
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

Jdsk wrote: 9 Jun 2023, 9:25am Nine pages...
At least another 14 to go!

😉
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

SummitFreedom wrote: 9 Jun 2023, 12:48pm https://www.cube.eu/si-en/cube-aim-race ... ure/601400

How many gears does this have?
The Cube has 16 gears from the component chart:

REAR DERAILLEUR
Shimano RD-M3020, 8-Speed

SHIFTERS
Shimano SL-M315, Rapidfire-Plus

FRONT DERAILLEUR
Shimano FD-M315, Top Swing, 31.8mm Clamp

BOTTOM BRACKET
Thun Paso-ML, 73mm BSA

CRANKSET
Shimano FC-M315, 36x22T, 170mm

CASSETTE
Shimano CS-HG31, 11-34T

Two chainrings at the front, 8 gears at the back.
For the sake of simplicity the inner (smaller) chainring can be thought of as uphill and the outer (larger) chainring for flats and descents.

SummitFreedom wrote: 9 Jun 2023, 12:48pm For example this cycle states it has 1x11 gears: https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Specialized-Ro ... 244993.htm

''Shimano Deore 1x11 speed drivetrain for intuitive gear shifting''
It's a different style of setup where a bigger cassette is used to give more or less the same range of low to high gears but without having to have a front mech as well. Most modern MTBs are designed this way now.
oaklec

Post by oaklec »

rareposter wrote: 9 Jun 2023, 1:13pm
Jdsk wrote: 9 Jun 2023, 9:25am Nine pages...
At least another 14 to go!

😉
:D
Lynskey Peloton, Ron Cooper, Bates BAR, Yates Expedition, Dawes Sardar, Dawes Edge, Pashley Parabike, Dawes Clubman
oaklec

Post by oaklec »

SummitFreedom wrote: 9 Jun 2023, 11:27am The bike project Canterbury's reply:

woodlands.

I never said I want to go into woodlands to him, which is what I assume he means.
I don't think the advice to consider a mountain bike is very helpful to you. Modern mountain bikes are big and long and heavy and cumbersome. They are good for what they are designed for, which is mountain bike trails / down hill etc, they are not well suited to light off road trails and general on road riding, such as shops and back - panniers will be a no.
Lynskey Peloton, Ron Cooper, Bates BAR, Yates Expedition, Dawes Sardar, Dawes Edge, Pashley Parabike, Dawes Clubman
Sparky56

Post by Sparky56 »

oaklec wrote: 9 Jun 2023, 3:18pm
SummitFreedom wrote: 9 Jun 2023, 11:27am The bike project Canterbury's reply:

woodlands.

I don't think the advice to consider a mountain bike is very helpful to you. Modern mountain bikes are big and long and heavy and cumbersome. They are good for what they are designed for, which is mountain bike trails / down hill etc, they are not well suited to light off road trails and general on road riding, such as shops and back - panniers will be a no.
I agree with oaklec - a hybrid bike will be the best option for you. It will be fine on the trails you are talking about and will be a lot faster on road and more convenient going to the shops and on most rides. Also you haven't had a bike before and you may find that what you enjoy doing most is different to what you think you will enjoy doing now. A hybrid is the best place to start as you can do a bit of everything with it.
SummitFreedom

Post by SummitFreedom »

oaklec wrote: 9 Jun 2023, 3:18pm I don't think the advice to consider a mountain bike is very helpful to you. Modern mountain bikes are big and long and heavy and cumbersome. They are good for what they are designed for, which is mountain bike trails / down hill etc, they are not well suited to light off road trails and general on road riding, such as shops and back - panniers will be a no.
What about everything else he (guy from Canterbury Bike Shop) said? For example he said I can swap out tires and have thinner ones if I want to so I can go faster on roads? Please read what I wrote after that post in which I included more things he said.

Why would a pannier be a no on a MTB?

He has sent me another email following my chat with him over the phone in which he recommends these two bikes:

https://www.balfesbikes.co.uk/bikes/mou ... gJdCPD_BwE

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/p/r ... lsrc=aw.ds

I don't know the weights or the sizes of the bikes. I don't see that info anywhere - but please let me know if you do and how they compare to the giant roam disc 2.

He said I won't be able to do North Downs Way or South, on a hybrid.
He also said that along crab and winkle, going from whitstable from South Street, there is a steep hill (I was talking to him about this), he said you can avoid that hill on a MTB by taking a right before the hill, then left which takes you into a trail in the woods.

But... I don't think I would enjoy seeing trees for a long time and having to navigate rough terrain.

Maybe I would... I don't know. I just love beautiful landscapes and cycling. I want adventure with beautiful scenery and feeling like I accomplished a journey.

BTW I HATE cycling along the sea front and I hate herne bay. I wanted to avoid taking the sea front route when I rented a cycle about 3 years ago, but I was so exhausted and in pain, that I just took that route because it was much quicker than going back the way I came didn't want to deal with the gravel along Wildart Trail which had literally given me a headache and neck pain and pain elsewhere.

Also the joints on the path along the sea front, caused me pain on the way back too. Every joint in the path was painful.

Finally do you agree with him when he told me not to get the Carrera because its a garbage bike?

Thank you
SummitFreedom

Post by SummitFreedom »

https://youtu.be/KEiv2D2V_j0?t=126

Isn't this guys bike the Cube Aim Race 2021 which I linked to?
He has 3 on his left gear selection thing. Not 2.
But rareposter said ''Two chainrings at the front, 8 gears at the back.''

His is a mountain bike isn't it?

I think this is the latest version of the bike he bought: https://www.cube.eu/si-en/cube-aim-race ... ure/601400

It has 2.25inch tires and only weighs 14.3KG. Which I think is the same weight as the giant disc roam?
It has a 100mm suspension vs the roam with a 63mm suspension.