Bike security

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Pinhead

Bike locks ?

Post by Pinhead »

I have two Abus Granite locks one for each bike, rear wheel and frame.

I have Pinheads on the front wheels "most" of the time but during summer I sometimes use QR squers bas I can't get the bikes in the back of the car complete.

What would you use, two options for the front wheel.

1. Thick flex cable (I know) Kryptonite/Abus
2. Cheaper known D lock (Gold standard) https://www.sprocketscycles.com/product ... 4642243767

Thanks
AUTISTIC and proud
gaz

Re: Bike locks ?

Post by gaz »

I think for you the right option is 2.

My reasoning is that you feel an Abus Granite is required as your basic level of secuirty, making me think that a flex cable isn't going to feel secure to you.

When I last had a regular predictable cycle commute, I chose two D-locks for use at public racks. That was because I find cables have a life of their own, wrapping around things you don't want them to and springing away just when you're ready to lock, rather than the additional security a second D-lock offered.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Pinhead

Post by Pinhead »

AUTISTIC and proud
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Cheapest option is not to use a lock at all, because you don't leave your bike out of your sight.

If you need to park a bike for an hour, or a few hours, or even overnight, use a cheap (disposable) bike, and not your pride and joy.
Mick F. Cornwall
diapason

Post by diapason »

I've got a Kryptonite New York D-lock which is heavier than the bike! I take it if the bike will be left for more than a very short time. I also use a small Kryptonite shackle lock, but don't have much faith in it. A cable lock too, which is only for when the bike is in line of sight. Nothing is totally safe except for a Rottweiler or sitting in view with a loaded shotgun!!
Advena ego sum in Terra
diapason

Post by diapason »

The latter, of course, is NOT a serious suggestion!!
Advena ego sum in Terra
PH

Post by PH »

Mick F wrote: 11 Jun 2023, 2:17pm Cheapest option is not to use a lock at all, because you don't leave your bike out of your sight.

If you need to park a bike for an hour, or a few hours, or even overnight, use a cheap (disposable) bike, and not your pride and joy.
Have you any idea how long it takes to steal a bike? I've known them stolen well within sight, I witnessed one when the rider and bike just had a glass door between them, give someone a 20 sec start on a bike and you're not going to catch them on foot. I had an attempt when the bike was lent against the bench I was sat on, the youth was then successful with the same technique an hour later. In sight reduces the risk, it certainly doesn't eliminate it, in that situation I might consider a lock to slow someone down, bike locked to itself might be enough, hoping i can run faster than someone carrying a bike, though I still wouldn't bet on it.

We do of course base these decisions on our own perception of risk, then add in a few anecdotes. Someone will be leaving their bike overnight with a lock the strength of a zip tie and never having it stolen, while someone else will have their pride and toy gone in a minute with the heaviest of D's grindered through. Your bike, your risk, but telling anyone it's safe in sight is simply false.
rotavator

Post by rotavator »

+1

I was sitting at a picnic bench outside a cafe with my bike leaning against the other side, unlocked. A youth came along, grabbed the bike and ran off with it. I soon caught him but if he had had the nous to jump on and pedal I would never have seen it again.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

I'd say leave the Pinhead skewers on the bike all the time. It doesn't actually take long to remove them with the key and you'll value the additional security.
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

rotavator wrote: 11 Jun 2023, 5:10pm +1

I was sitting at a picnic bench outside a cafe with my bike leaning against the other side, unlocked. A youth came along, grabbed the bike and ran off with it. I soon caught him but if he had had the nous to jump on and pedal I would never have seen it again.
Leave the bike in the lowest gear?
Leave the bike in the highest gear?
Unship the chain when you leave it alone?

There was one occasion during lockdown when I went out for a ride. I had stopped by some
steps and was eating a sandwich and having a drink. My bike was about, say, five yards away
from me.

A youth walking in my direction had eyeballs on my bike (I could see from the periphery vision
as I ate my sandwich). I gave the impression that I was more concerned with my sandwich as
he came closer. He was about two yards from my bike when I looked in his direction and he suddenly changed course away from me and my bike.

The bike was never in danger, but it just goes to show there are opportunists everywhere.
Pinhead

Post by Pinhead »

Mick F wrote: 11 Jun 2023, 2:17pm Cheapest option is not to use a lock at all, because you don't leave your bike out of your sight.

Bit hard to do when shopping :lol: :lol: :lol:
AUTISTIC and proud
Pinhead

Post by Pinhead »

Bmblbzzz wrote: 11 Jun 2023, 6:59pm I'd say leave the Pinhead skewers on the bike all the time. It doesn't actually take long to remove them with the key and you'll value the additional security.
I know, I have used them for 15 years but, OK when I had a Renault Scenic, now I have a hatchback and need to remove the front wheel, :(
AUTISTIC and proud
Pinhead

Post by Pinhead »

rotavator wrote: 11 Jun 2023, 5:10pm +1

scum
AUTISTIC and proud
Pinhead

Post by Pinhead »

Pinhead wrote: 12 Jun 2023, 9:32am

They are scum
AUTISTIC and proud
re_cycler

Post by re_cycler »

Pinhead wrote: 12 Jun 2023, 9:32am

Why ?
Cheap bike from small ads or eBay the uglier the better, add a rack and a box, job done.