Hadrian Cycle Way - the missing link

thidwick

Hadrian Cycle Way - the missing link

Post by thidwick »

A bit of frustration…. I live in Cumbria, on the coast, a couple of miles south of St Bees. My wife and I (both pensioners) really enjoy leisurely cycling, and do try to cycle, when possible, rather than use the car. We have links to Seascale which is a few miles south of us, also on the coast. Our daughter and some grandchildren live in Seascale, we have friends in Seascale, and our doctor surgery, health centre and pharmacy are in Seascale.
Our house is actually on the “alt” route for Hadrian’s Cycle Way (route 72) - and route 72 passes through Seascale. It’s a no-brainer really, on a nice day when we have the time, to cycle to Seascale rather than drive. About 8 miles cycling or about 15 driving.
So why the frustration?
Between home and Seascale there is the massive Sellafield complex which, without a huge (many miles) detour is only passable by car by the use of one road. This is the A595 which, between the villages of Calderbridge and Gosforth, is the worst type of road to cycle. Only just two lanes wide, no cycleway, no pavements, lots of fast traffic, bendy and hilly.
This is the point where you should check a map to see what I mean.
(As an aside…. If the A595 gets closed for any reason between Calderbridge and Gosforth, then the mandated detour is about 75 miles)
But…. It is also possible to use the route 72 cycle way which goes between Sellafield and the sea. I’ve been doing this for many years. The issue is that this route is now degraded between Sellafield station and Seascale to the point where it is becoming un-cyclable. Sustrans themselves are now advising against cyclists using this part of route 72 - and (bizarrely) are advising that cyclists take a train between Sellafield and Seascale.
I’m still cycling the bits of that route that I can cycle. Have moved from using my touring bike to my mountain bike - and even then there are several parts where I find it necessary to get off and push. One part was washed away in a storm, and some of the surface is becoming linked sandpits.
I’ve met touring cyclists on the sandpit parts who can’t believe that they’re on the right route.
Why won’t some body take accountability for getting this fixed? Sustrans seem to be prevaricating.
It’s an important cycling link.
Cycling the A595 between Calderbridge and Gosforth isn’t safe for me and my wife - in my opinion. I used to do it sometimes - but even then, never in the dark or poor weather.
Has anyone got any advice (or leverage) to get anything done?
Can I get Cycling UK to pick up the case?
I can write to our MP….
I can contact the local council…
Any ideas please?
Jdsk

Re: Hadrian Cycle Way - the missing link

Post by Jdsk »

thidwick wrote: 7 Jun 2023, 6:11pm ...
Has anyone got any advice (or leverage) to get anything done?
Can I get Cycling UK to pick up the case?
I can write to our MP….
I can contact the local council…
Any ideas please?
I'd do all of those.

Is there a local cycling support or activist group?

Jonathan
rotavator

Post by rotavator »

Have you tried cycling the bridleway that joins the A595 near the church about 500m SE of Calderbridge (NY 044 056), passes Church House Farm, Calder and Seascale Hall then onto the straight Sellafield access road that leads to Cross Lanes (NY 045 019)? I haven't been that way for a few years but as far as I remember it would be OK, certainly on a MTB and better than the A595. If the route is blocked around Calder or Seascale Hall, you could divert via Fleming Hall to near Gosforth, then it is a short section of A595 road before you can join the cycle path along the B5344 to Seascale.
thidwick

Post by thidwick »

rotavator wrote: 7 Jun 2023, 6:37pm Have you tried cycling the bridleway that joins the A595 near the church about 500m SE of Calderbridge (NY 044 056), passes Church House Farm, Calder and Seascale Hall then onto the straight Sellafield access road that leads to Cross Lanes (NY 045 019)? I haven't been that way for a few years but as far as I remember it would be OK, certainly on a MTB and better than the A595. If the route is blocked around Calder or Seascale Hall, you could divert via Fleming Hall to near Gosforth, then it is a short section of A595 road before you can join the cycle path along the B5344 to Seascale.
Yes, I’ve been on that route, and those paths several times. Mostly poor condition farm tracks from Calderbridge to the Sellafield access road. As you say- just about workable for me on the mountain bike. Still a short distance on the A595 though - which I really want to avoid.
But surely the point is that the route 72 should be made useable, and Sustrans shouldn’t need to be advising people to use the train!
rotavator

Post by rotavator »

Do you know who is legally responsible for maintaining NCN 72, if anyone? That would be the first thing to find out, so may be ask your local council's highway department or your local councillor or Sustrans.
thidwick

Post by thidwick »

rotavator wrote: 7 Jun 2023, 9:09pm Do you know who is legally responsible for maintaining NCN 72, if anyone? That would be the first thing to find out, so may be ask your local council's highway department or your local councillor or Sustrans.
I’m going to find out!
The local MP has responded (!) and promises to ask questions of the local council.
I’ve tried to contact Sustrans, but haven’t yet had an answer.
I believe I know who owns the land (the NDA), and will try to get their attention on the issue.
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

You might find this interesting from 2021:

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... ascale.pdf

"At the time of proposal, there was a large area of land to the seaward side of the trail (aerial mapping suggests up to 20 metres) and, as the England Coast Path was proposed to follow an existing tarmac cycle track on which the England Coast Path, close to a railway and nuclear site, it was deemed both unlikely to erode significantly in the next twenty years or so, and likely to be maintained by the various parties with an interest in the existing track and land. However, coastal erosion to this area has increased dramatically in more recent years, with the northern end of the tarmac track, adjacent to the mouth of the River Calder, being significantly damaged. The top of the foreshore now lies much closer to the railway than was previously the case. Sea level rise projections also show this area being highly vulnerable over the next decade, and further threats to the trail between here and Seascale looking likely within the first half of this century, with seasonal flooding events posing an even more significant impact."

"Plans for the realignment of the cycleway are still in discussion, the outcomes of which - both route and infrastructure-wise - are likely to be an important consideration in terms of the long-term alignment of England Coast Path."

So it looks like the plan is to move the cycleway rather than, Canute-like, keep rebuilding it in the face of erosion.
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
xerxes

Post by xerxes »

Time was when the track along the seaward side of the railway line was the main route between Seascale and Sellafield for those not using a car. The 'cinder track', as it was called, was wide enough for a jeep, but its only users were on two wheels - many Sellafield workers used it by bicycle, motorbike or moped. It was only when the link road between Cross Lanes and Sellafield was built that the beach track fell into disuse. Successive storms washed away parts of it, and much of it is now only the width of a footpath.

I think any attempt to rebuild it would be a waste of time, as it would just get washed away again. If the sea ever becomes a threat to the railway line then some proper defences might get put in place. Though whether this would include provision for cyclists is another matter.
thidwick

Post by thidwick »

Found this (copy and pasted below) on the Sustrans website……
This suggests some findings from the study will be published in “Autumn 2022”.
I wonder if they were. ??

———————————

Finding a solution at Sellafield

We are currently working to find an alternative route which avoids the issue of coastal erosion in this area.

We are carrying out a feasibility study with Department for Transport funding and support from Copeland Borough Council, Cumbria County Council and other partners.

The study will run until autumn 2022, when our findings will be published.

In the meantime, this section of Hadrian's Cycleway will end at Sellafield railway station and the route signage will be covered over from this point down to the original end point at Ravenglass.

The England Coast Path, which follows the same route in this location, will take a narrow bridge and stepped route through the area (which is home to a rare and protected species of toad).

The alternative England Coast Path is only suitable for walking, and not for people using bikes or adapted cycles.

We recommend using the Northern Rail service between Seascale and Sellafield instead.