Boris's Brain is missing

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
reohn2

Re: Boris's Brain is missing

Post by reohn2 »

roubaixtuesday wrote: 10 Jun 2023, 3:47pm
Jdsk wrote: 10 Jun 2023, 3:02pm
Jdsk wrote: 10 Jun 2023, 12:40pm
Lots more to come:
• Committee report to the Commons and their reaction
• Judicial review for the COVID inquiry
• Two by-elections
• The responses of two police forces to the new evidence which they have been sent
• A general election, with the likelihood of a failed Conservative leader.
Three by-elections.

Jonathan
It's almost as though we're being ruled by a coalition of chaos...
Whadda mean "almost"?
It's beyond a shadow of a doubt :?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Am I very bad to be enjoying so much the spectacle the Tories are making of themselves?
I am looking forward to the three by-elections much as soccer fans are the match tonight.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

I'm certainly enjoying it all a lot! It's funny that after being told firmly for months that piffle's main attraction to other Tories was simply that he was popular, it turns out that he's not so popular after-all!
Furious Tories turn against Boris Johnson after ‘bias’ outburst. MPs tell Rishi Sunak that the former PM must not be allowed to stand again, while Johnson ally Nigel Adams quits and triggers third byelection.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Mike Sales wrote: 10 Jun 2023, 6:01pm Am I very bad to be enjoying so much the spectacle the Tories are making of themselves?.....
There's nothing bad about watching spoiled brats of adults that is the Tory party getting their comeuppance after trashing everthing they've touched!
It'll take a long time to undo what these morons have done and worst of all many of them will have made a fortune out of their time in office and will never face a court of law for the crimes they've committed whilst in office!

We've seen the worst governments and worst PMs in Johnson and Truss the Uk has ever seen,ever.
W H Auden
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

reohn2 wrote: 11 Jun 2023, 12:06am
Mike Sales wrote: 10 Jun 2023, 6:01pm Am I very bad to be enjoying so much the spectacle the Tories are making of themselves?.....
There's nothing bad about watching spoiled brats of adults that is the Tory party getting their comeuppance after trashing everthing they've touched!
It'll take a long time to undo what these morons have done and worst of all many of them will have made a fortune out of their time in office and will never face a court of law for the crimes they've committed whilst in office!

We've seen the worst governments and worst PMs in Johnson and Truss the Uk has ever seen,ever.
They're not my choice of government, but I dearly wish they would do some governing at a time when it is desperately needed.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Jdsk wrote: 10 Jun 2023, 3:53pm
pete75 wrote: 10 Jun 2023, 3:18pm
Jdsk wrote: 10 Jun 2023, 3:02pm
Three by-elections.
Yeah but Selby and Ainsty - must be one of the most right wing areas in the country. Tories got over 60% of the votes in 2019.
Will these by-elections be seen as an opportunity for Reform UK or similar? Or perhaps just this one...

Jonathan
I wonder - is Adams standing down to give the seat to Johnson.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Mike Sales wrote: 10 Jun 2023, 6:01pm Am I very bad to be enjoying so much the spectacle the Tories are making of themselves?
Schadenfreude is rarely attractive, as you imply. But your pleasure won't harm him or probably anyone else. And I'm with Kipling on triumph.
Mike Sales wrote: 10 Jun 2023, 6:01pm I am looking forward to the three by-elections much as soccer fans are the match tonight.
Possibie opportunity for some sort of additional right-wing party, as above.

Massive opportunity for tactical voting. Which could be good practice for the general election.

There's a big new analysis somewhere of opinions in what are now marginal constituencies.

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Today's competition... guess the author:

"This, though, is most definitely not the end of Boris in the politics of our nation. In fact, his dramatic move – and his own hint that he will seek another Parliamentary berth – puts him in pole position to return as Conservative leader if a vacancy should arise.

"On that note, I would most strongly warn Conservative Party managers against any attempt to block Boris if he seeks the party nomination in another seat.

"Any attempt to do so would shatter our fragile party unity and plunge the Conservatives into civil war."

Jonathan
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Bonefishblues wrote: 11 Jun 2023, 7:10am
reohn2 wrote: 11 Jun 2023, 12:06am

They're not my choice of government, but I dearly wish they would do some governing at a time when it is desperately needed.
Not with these morons in office it won't,something about leopards and 13 years of spots or should that be nasty stains?
The UK is in a deep hole dug by it's own electorate with the Tory party providing the spade and shouting down that deep hole to keep digging..... ......there's no sign of a ladder yet either!

PS,other analogies are available,caneos,boats adrift,smelly streets,etc,etc.Please forgive my flippency but humour is all that's left,that and the enjoyment of watching the implosions of the Tory Party

PPS,and there are those who think Corbyn would have been worse :?
Last edited by reohn2 on 11 Jun 2023, 11:22am, edited 1 time in total.
W H Auden
atoz

Post by atoz »

On a related tack. I suspected that when Boris left office, any real commitment to cycling policies would quickly evaporate, and the Tories would revert to their default position ie very pro car, against "war on the motorists" etc etc. I posted on this some time ago. Didn't take long, did it? I think we can assume that from the funding cuts.

Of course Labour won't be any better under Sir Keir, as Corbyn was quite pro cycling. Anything Corbyn was for, Sir Keir is against. Just a pity Corbyn wasn't anti cycling then. Corbyn has described Starmer's approach to him at one point as "primary school". Fair comment I think.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Atoz
Genuine queation,did Johnson actually do anything to further cycling or just promise to?
I'm thinking along the lines of 40 new hospitals,etc,etc....

PS,I agree about Starmers comments about Corbyn
W H Auden
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

reohn2 wrote: 11 Jun 2023, 11:25am ...Genuine queation,did Johnson actually do anything to further cycling or just promise to?
Update on the application for judicial review of the revised financial allocation:
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... in-england

And how to donate:
https://www.crowdjustice.com/case/stop- ... d-cycling/

Jonathan

NB: National Audit Office report imminent.
atoz

Post by atoz »

reohn2 wrote: 11 Jun 2023, 11:25am Atoz
Genuine queation,did Johnson actually do anything to further cycling or just promise to?

PS,I agree about Starmers comments about Corbyn
Come to think of it....oh dear, think you could be right about Boris- although there were the emergency cycle routes during the pandemic I suppose. Fair comment..
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

Johnson did a massive amount (relatively speaking to the previous couple of decades) for cycling. Pushed ltn1/20 and 'Gear Change' out of the door, established ATE, gave it statutory consultee status and some actual money (no where close to enough mind).

Of course elements like much of the funding allocation that had yet to be spent has now been withdrawn under sunak and carbrained Harper.
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
pete75

Post by pete75 »

atoz wrote: 11 Jun 2023, 10:51am On a related tack. I suspected that when Boris left office, any real commitment to cycling policies would quickly evaporate, and the Tories would revert to their default position ie very pro car, against "war on the motorists" etc etc. I posted on this some time ago. Didn't take long, did it? I think we can assume that from the funding cuts.

Of course Labour won't be any better under Sir Keir, as Corbyn was quite pro cycling. Anything Corbyn was for, Sir Keir is against. Just a pity Corbyn wasn't anti cycling then. Corbyn has described Starmer's approach to him at one point as "primary school". Fair comment I think.
Corbyn? A Labour leader who loses Dennis Skinner's seat is beyond incompetent.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker