Step Counter iPhone App

Mick F
Spambuster

Step Counter iPhone App

Post by Mick F »

I downloaded an app the other day, more out of interest than anything else.
I'm not concerned in any way regarding my fitness or exercise, but I thought it might be interesting.

I rode 27miles yesterday and never got off the bike, other than putting my foot down at junctions.

Here's the screenshot of the app report. Sounds like it doesn't understand cycling! :D
IMG_1771.PNG
Mick F. Cornwall
Vorpal

Re: Step Counter iPhone App

Post by Vorpal »

I've tried several apps like that. Some count steps well, but not bike rides. Some count bike rides well, but not steps, and some do neither.

The only thing that seems to do both well is Strava, but I never remember to start it. :roll:
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Mick F wrote: 8 Jun 2023, 3:00pm I downloaded an app the other day, more out of interest than anything else.
Is that Steps?
https://yearofcode.com/steps/

Thanks

Jonathan
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Why do you need an app when step count is already included in the apple health app?
Do the two agree?

Only 1.5 ml for nearly 5000 steps are you need a longer string between your boots. :) or maybe that relates to 175mm cranks.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Google Fit turned up on my phone, it doesnt seem to handle cycling well. Today it gave me 90 heart points for my morning ride. Heart points are when your heart rate and breathing are elevated. I think its a much better measure than steps. Exercise isnt all about steps...

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Paulatic wrote: 8 Jun 2023, 3:34pm Why do you need an app when step count is already included in the apple health app?
Do the two agree?
I don't have the Apple Health app on my iPhone.

Maybe I deleted it when I bought this iPhone?
I put my new one next to my old one, and they "chatted" to each other .............. and then that was it.
Mick F. Cornwall
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Mick F wrote: 8 Jun 2023, 4:22pm
Paulatic wrote: 8 Jun 2023, 3:34pm Why do you need an app when step count is already included in the apple health app?
Do the two agree?
I don't have the Apple Health app on my iPhone.

Maybe I deleted it when I bought this iPhone?
I put my new one next to my old one, and they "chatted" to each other .............. and then that was it.
The Health app is built-in but can be deleted by the user (since iOS 14).

Are you sure that it isn't tucked away in a folder? You can check in the App Library.

You can restore it from the App Store.

Jonathan
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

The iPhone's global search feature will find it wherever it is, I'm sure.
iPhone screenshot
iPhone screenshot
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

simonineaston wrote: 8 Jun 2023, 6:40pm The iPhone's global search feature will find it wherever it is, I'm sure.
Unless it's been deleted... but we're waiting to hear if it's been tucked into a folder.

Jonathan
PH

Post by PH »

What is it the apps are doing? I thought they all read the same data from the phones in built GPS and accelerometer, I'm surprised there's much variation.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

I thought the same- the phone is basing activity level on motion whereas my Fitbit does it based on heart rate- you’ll see a different steps volume between phone in your pocket v phone in a bar bag when out cycling. The Fitbit gets confused between cycling and walking sometimes too (obviously due to my not so pacey or smooth cycling) but I don’t worry too much- it picks up overall activity and heart rate which is what I really need.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

PH wrote: 8 Jun 2023, 7:50pm What is it the apps are doing? I thought they all read the same data from the phones in built GPS and accelerometer, I'm surprised there's much variation.
In iOS the accelerometer and gyroscope data are available through the Core Motion framework:
https://developer.apple.com/documentation/coremotion

Step counts and similar are available through the HealthKit framework:
https://developer.apple.com/documentati ... -stepcount

Cycling cadence and related data are available through the HealthKit framework:
https://developer.apple.com/documentati ... ngcadence/

We still don't know the app in the OP, but I suspect that it's Steps. AFAIK cycling isn't in its intended uses.

Jonathan
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Jdsk wrote: 10 Jun 2023, 5:48pm
We still don't know the app in the OP, but I suspect that it's Steps. AFAIK cycling isn't in its intended uses.

Jonathan
I don’t think Mick intended to use it for cycling. His comment was on how many steps he’d been given riding a bike. The answer of course is where were you carrying the phone.
The health app doesn’t usually attribute steps to me while riding but I wondered if his app had measured differently. Depending on which bike my phone is carried on handlebar or saddlebag.
Mick having deleted the health app I’ll never know.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Health app?
Can't remember it, but it may do the stuff somehow. Not interested in "health" because there's few blokes of my age who are as healthy as me.

I tend to be walking the dog more often than riding the bike these days, and I have been thinking about steps and stuff.
I found the app "Steps" and it seemed to tick the boxes. Rubbish really, but interesting nonetheless.
My phone was in my rear seat-pack, it that makes any difference.

There has been a day when I've been nowhere other than driving to Lid's and Morrisons and shopping, and I've done 6,000odd steps and covered 2.5miles! :lol: :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall