Not reported accident

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
brigida27

Not reported accident

Post by brigida27 »

Hi everyone,
I hope you can help me!
Last week I was cycling to uni and had an accident; the driver suddenly opened the door of its parked van, without checking first, and I bashed into it. I was in pure shock and didn't feel any major injuries rather than my left hand. Now after 5 days, I have a very sore neck, unable to move much and one of my arms started hurting. I am planning to see a physiotherapist today but I was wondering if I will be able to claim any of my expenses. I have a picture of the van but didn't get the name of the driver, he was really in shock and at that moment I felt very bad for him. I spent a good half an hour with him and he was kind enough to give me a lift to uni. However, because of the accident, I haven't been cycling, so paying for public transport, and will probably not be able to do it for quite a while, I haven't been able to do any sport (I tend to run, cycle or do other outdoor sport 5 days a week) and will probably have to pay for a physio. As I am not currently working, the extra expenses will be a real burden for me. Has anyone had the same issue? Can I still report it to the police? Everything happened in central London, Marylebone, very close to a private clinic so might see if I can get any CCTV? The driver was using their company van, a gas company, so I can try to track him down and see if he is willing to cooperate.
Any tips or thoughts would be very appreciated.
Thank you
gaz

Re: Not reported accident

Post by gaz »

Welcome to the forum. You need proper legal advice not the wisdom of your peers.

You may have this available through membership of a cycling organisation, union or household insurance policy. If not then speak to any number of the no-win, no-fee injury lawyers who do what it says on the tin.

I believe the driver should have reported the incident to the police, although "dooring" is an offence so they probably didn't. Identifying the driver seems likely to be something that would help considerably but as I said get proper legal advice.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

Can you not get physio on the NHS? Even if you win compensation, I would have thought it would be a long old wait.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

Possibly not as long as the wait to see an NHS physio, unless you are very fortunate in that regard.
irc

Post by irc »

If your picture includes the reg number of the van then hopefully you can eventually be compensated for your injuries. As part of that process you will need medical evidence. At the very least go and see your GP.

You can report the accident. Unless the driver gave you full details, both his and the van owners, he was required to report it.

That is a seperate matter from compensation though

Unless you are prepared to do a lot of work pursuing this yourself a no win no fee layer is the way forward. They will probably not be interested unless your injuries are bad enough that their share of your compensation is enough for your trouble.

So first thing IMO is get a better idea of what injuuries you have and how long recovery will take. Then speak to a lawyer. Intial contact and assessment should be free.
Valbrona

Post by Valbrona »

1/ There are a number of companies that deal with personal injury claims. Phone them, say you are interested in making a claim.

2/ Never sign off a compensation claim unless you believe yourself to be fully recovered.
I should coco.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Valbrona wrote: 8 Jun 2023, 5:23pm 1/ There are a number of companies that deal with personal injury claims. Phone them, say you are interested in making a claim.

2/ Never sign off a compensation claim unless you believe yourself to be fully recovered.
This fully agree. Legal consultation for the compensation to include all out of pocket expenses.
Don't accept first offer unless you're completely happy that injuries will have no long term lasting consequences.

If it was a gas board vehicle it will be insured via their policies so regardless of driver co-operation it will have to go through the correct channels.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Airsporter1st

Post by Airsporter1st »

I would definitely see a GP asap. In my case it was a pivotal point in respect of my subsequent claim, almost three years later.
Pete Owens

Post by Pete Owens »

And to avoid riding into doors in the future don't ride in the dooring zone.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Pete Owens wrote: 10 Jun 2023, 7:18pm And to avoid riding into doors in the future don't ride in the dooring zone.
Always good to avoid, but still doesn't excuse the drivers dooring people.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Pete Owens

Post by Pete Owens »

Quiz question:

Road user A overtakes road user B too closely, failing to to allow space for road user B to make a small lateral movement.
B makes a small lateral movement then A then crashes into B.

Who is responsible for the collision?
Airsporter1st

Post by Airsporter1st »

‘A’ - but I guess there’s more to it, or you wouldn’t be asking the question!
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Responsible has several different meanings...

• Common parlance, including both "made it happen" and "should be blamed for"
• Civil liability through eg negligence
• Breach of the Highway Code
• Criminal action.

Jonathan
deeferdonk

Post by deeferdonk »

Pete Owens wrote: 15 Jun 2023, 12:13pm Quiz question:

Road user A overtakes road user B too closely, failing to to allow space for road user B to make a small lateral movement.
B makes a small lateral movement then A then crashes into B.

Who is responsible for the collision?
The numpty opening the door is to blame.
Although it could have been avoided if the cyclist hadn't cycled in the doorzone, or if they stayed at home watching Netflix, or if their parents had not decided to have children - but is a moot point.
Pete Owens

Post by Pete Owens »

So is your answer A or B?