Mapometer mystery

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Sitbones

Mapometer mystery

Post by Sitbones »

I'm registered with Mapometer but it has lost all my many cycling routes and there are other problems.
Can anyone advise please?
Jdsk

Re: Mapometer mystery

Post by Jdsk »

Welcome.

How do they describe what's happened when you ask?

Jonathan
Sitbones

Post by Sitbones »

Their page help returns 404 PagMe Not Found
I just want someone here to use Mapometer now and relate their experiences.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

Having had a play with Mapometer, without registering or becoming a supporter, all I can say is "unimpressed".

You can create a route by clicking along it, but if you try to edit it, it creates a new route between the start and end, and leaves you to rebuild the route by clicking to add via points, and dragging those.
It won't route along an off-carriageway section of NCN45, but is quite happy to route you along random rural footpaths elsewhere.
The height and graph look inaccurate. A 14% section (albeit short) showed as 2%, whilst elsewhere a pan flat section showed as 3%.
It managed to lose the connection between route and map, so zooming or panning resulted in a route line that was unrelated to the roads it had originally been following, and a site restart was required.
(Cycle mode, following roads)

Have you tried cycle.travel?
You have to register to save a route.
It won't do stats on routes you've saved.
Becoming a supporter gets you OS and IGN (France) background maps, plus an aerial/satellite photo background.

<error fixed>
Last edited by andrew_s on 20 May 2023, 1:14pm, edited 1 time in total.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

andrew_s wrote: 20 May 2023, 12:20pm ...
Have you tried cycle.travel?
You have to register to save a route.
It won't import GPX tracks etc so you can't use it as a log of random unplanned rides, and it won't do stats on routes you've saved.
Becoming a supporter gets you OS and IGN (France) background maps, plus an aerial/satellite photo background.
I've imported gpx files into cycle.travel OK https://cycle.travel/user/upload_route

Ian
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

That's new since I last saved a route - I usually just do routes for suggestions, or to check mileages or hills.
It does suggest that it translates the GPX track into a C.T.-style route, and therefore may not be 100% faithful to what you rode.
RickH

Post by RickH »

andrew_s wrote: 20 May 2023, 1:13pm That's new since I last saved a route - I usually just do routes for suggestions, or to check mileages or hills.
It does suggest that it translates the GPX track into a C.T.-style route, and therefore may not be 100% faithful to what you rode.
When I tried it a while back it loaded a CT style route but also showed the route of the original GPX so you can see where they differ. Then you can decide if you want to drag the CT route to fit the GPX, or not, before saving it.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Sitbones

Post by Sitbones »

Thanks everyone.
See what happens when you click
https://www.mapometer.com/forum
and
https://www.mapometer.com/forum/page/help_route_editing

Bottom line: Has anyone been a Mapometer user for many years, has save routes and can see them there now?
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Have you tried contacting the boss?
KIRSOPP, Colin

Correspondence address
20 Priory Road, Knowle, Bristol, England, BS4 2NL

Telephone could be 0117 9141363
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

I get "404 Page Not Found", the same as you.
hercule

Post by hercule »

I’ve used and subscribed to it for years. Logged in now, 12 pages of routes still there. I prefer it over alternatives as I usually want to measure where I plan to go, rather than it tell me how to get there.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Whatever you do, NEVER EVER EVER store your stuff solely online. Always keep a copy on your computer and another device as well.

I use an activity tracker program called Ascent. It won't work on this new laptop, but my old one still functions ok. Also have an elderly iMac. Ascent is on them both.

Meanwhile, I found My Tracks and have it on my new laptop as well as a plug-in USB drive. Complete a ride, upload the GPX file, and add it to My Tracks as well as Ascent, plus keep the raw GPX file too.
Mick F. Cornwall