Rohloff Rim to Disc

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
crossy

Rohloff Rim to Disc

Post by crossy »

I have a Thorn Raven with Rohloff it is for a rim brakes if I converted the hub to a disc brake one for a future project. Would that hub still fit in the Raven frame?
ICE Adventure E51, Van Nic Amazon E40, NWT Bike Friday E17, Orange Rohloff, Total E58
PH

Re: Rohloff Rim to Disc

Post by PH »

Yes, you can run a disc hub in a non disc frame, you just can't use the disc.
When using it in another frame with a disc brake, you would also need to convert it from internal shift to external.
The Hub cap has to be changed by a Rohloff service centre, the gear mech conversion you can do yourself.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Isn't the Raven frame "disc ready"? Our Raven tandem cam with a disc fitting on the frame, whether you intended using it or not.
crossy

Post by crossy »

I’m happy with the Raven as it is. Just thinking of when I get older I have a Bike Friday that only takes discs but it is a step through so I could use that if I can’t get my leg over (ooh Mrs) over a crossbar. The Bike Friday has a shimano 11 speed hub gear at the moment which I don’t like much. I retire in 4 years time and thinking of things I want to do while I can afford it.
ICE Adventure E51, Van Nic Amazon E40, NWT Bike Friday E17, Orange Rohloff, Total E58
pwa

Post by pwa »

With the Raven tandem, Thorn advised having the disc Rohloff even if you didn't intend having a disc brake right then, so that having a disc brake later on would be a simple matter. That suggests that the frame was suitable for either the plain hub or the disc hub.
PH

Post by PH »

Get a quote, a new cap and external shift mechanism isn't cheap, I had one done some years ago, I forget how many. I think I got a discounted price as I was buying a frameset and some other parts at the same time, it was still around 20 - 25% the cost of a new hub. The BF might also need a different torque plate, though that isn't a huge expense. It might make more economical sense to buy new and sell what you're not using, though rim brake Rohloff bikes are not fetching what they used to.
It's also advised not to change wheel size and re-use a hub, that seems to apply to all hubs, though obviously a Rohloff is a more expensive risk. Rohloff flanges don't seem to be breaking as frequently as they were at one time, or maybe I've just seen less reports, the flange rings, which now come as standard, might be helping, though that wan't their original purpose.
If you have the cash, I'd convert the BF now to get the most out of it and sell the Raven when you no longer ride it, the price of hubs is only going one way, they're already £200 more than I paid for my latest one three years ago,
PH

Post by PH »

pwa wrote: 10 Jun 2023, 9:59am Isn't the Raven frame "disc ready"?
I think the only versions of the solo Ravens that were disc ready were the MTB models.
pwa

Post by pwa »

PH wrote: 10 Jun 2023, 2:19pm
pwa wrote: 10 Jun 2023, 9:59am Isn't the Raven frame "disc ready"?
I think the only versions of the solo Ravens that were disc ready were the MTB models.
Ah. Thanks.
JohnR

Post by JohnR »

Usually riding a Spa Cycles Aubisque or a Rohloff-equipped Spa Cycles Elan Ti