Type 2 diabetes and an older rider

Jdsk

Re: Type 2 diabetes and an older rider

Post by Jdsk »

horizon wrote: 13 Jun 2022, 10:33pm
Jdsk wrote: 9 Jun 2022, 8:07pm Here's what Diabetes UK has to say...

... for patients:
https://www.diabetes.org.uk/guide-to-di ... s/low-carb
I just clicked on that, went to the website and it asked me to accept cookies. I said no, I value my health . . .
Excellent.

: - )

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

djnotts wrote: 13 Jun 2022, 8:55pm All very informative, if a little inconclusive. I assume that I should have T2 - I eat far too many cream cakes and carbs. Lots of sugar in tea!
But my BMI is and always has been below 20. A few doctors have commented that as my mother and her mother (both very slim) developed it in mid to late 70s then so would I!
My waist has only v recently increased by an inch to 31, but that's a result of post-ERT hormone injections for prostate cancer.
My extreme COPD limits my cycling to pretty slow 100-140 miles per week. I do not eat a lot, judging by what I see in eateries. But not all is healthy. On a 40 mile ride my cafe stop is cake and black tea with sugar.
Lots of blood tests have not noted any diabetic tendencies.
I find it all very confusing.
It is. Health is applied biology... lots of different things all going on at once. Estimates of heritability of Type 2 DM are all over the place, and the genetics involves large numbers of genes of which most have only a small effect.

Would you like to decrease your intake of refined carbohydrate even without a diagnosis?

Jonathan
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

"Would you like to decrease your intake of refined carbohydrate even without a diagnosis?"

Showing my ignorance, what is refined carbohydrate? What would decreasing it do for/to me? Genuine questions.
I rather assume benefits would be long term - and I don't have a long term. At my and my experts' most optimistic prognoses, cancer and copd, maybe 4 years.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Such as sugar in your tea and in those cakes. As opposed to unrefined carbohydrate such as starch in grains and vegetables.

The short-term benefits from reducing those could include weight loss and improvement of diabetes, and those don't sound relevant to you.

Jonathan
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

Jdsk wrote: 14 Jun 2022, 10:35pm Such as sugar in your tea and in those cakes. As opposed to unrefined carbohydrate such as starch in grains and vegetables.

The short-term benefits from reducing those could include weight loss and improvement of diabetes, and those don't sound relevant to you.

Jonathan
I do eat quite a lot of vegetables and grains, very little red meat. What medical comments I have ever received about weight is to put some on. I always wanted to reach 10st, only made it when I was doing heavy manual work and drinking 8 pints of beer/guiness a day. Didn't last!
Guess I could omit white sugar.
Thanks.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

A lot of info here -- after a recent MOT my cholesterol is a bit high. I'm slightly overweight for the first time in my life if I'm honest and my diet has room for improvement so going to do the Cliff Richard diet that worked for me when I was 25 and trying to make a lower weight class for weightlifting. One meal a day saw my weight plummet from 12 stone down to 10 and a quarter stone. I'd never felt better in my life and my body was in splendid shape. I'd lost some strength but expected that -- won the weight class comfortably. 35 years later will it bring down my cholesterol ? We'll see.

Now I read from this thread one meal a day is intermittent fasting -- I thought that was where you fast for two days ate for 3
I am here. Where are you?
horizon

Post by horizon »

Cowsham wrote: 11 Mar 2023, 9:47am Now I read from this thread one meal a day is intermittent fasting -- I thought that was where you fast for two days ate for 3
It's whatever you make it. Having an eating zone is one way, four hours between meals, one day a week nothing, Ramadan, eighteen hours from 6.00pm to 12 midday etc etc are others. The important thing is to give your body time to digest and eliminate. Weight loss is the side benefit IMV.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Eating an evening meal at say six pm and then not having breakfast 'till say ten the next morning is probably fasting as far as your alimentary canal is concerned...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
briansnail

Post by briansnail »

Very slim people can also get diabetes.So we all need to be careful how we fuel and avoid super fuels in processed foods
I ride Brompton and a 100% British Vintage
softlips

Post by softlips »

briansnail wrote: 11 Mar 2023, 2:52pm Very slim people can also get diabetes.So we all need to be careful how we fuel and avoid super fuels in processed foods
Over 80% of people with Type 2 diabetes are overweight. Most of these underweight or normal weight people will have a lot of visceral fat. This is why waist to hip ratio is of such interest now. They'll also usually have other potential risk factors such as high cholesterol, smoking and a sedentary lifestyle. A sedentary lifestyle is now seen a significant risk factor in many conditions it has not been previously associated with.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

briansnail wrote: 11 Mar 2023, 2:52pm Very slim people can also get diabetes.So we all need to be careful how we fuel and avoid super fuels in processed foods
My workmate is a very slim type 2 now but had a period about 15 years ago of being a bit overweight with a bit of a pot belly when I think the damage was done. His diet is still very bad though.
I am here. Where are you?
briansnail

Post by briansnail »

Apparently lots of people have diabetes but are not aware of it. Even a virus can cause it to flare. My query is what were the symptoms that caused it to be revealed?
There is a suggestion that is can be reversed and kept under control by exercise and good diet ( but not cured).Has this worked for anyone out there?
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

briansnail wrote: 16 Sep 2023, 3:34pm Apparently lots of people have diabetes but are not aware of it. Even a virus can cause it to flare. My query is what were the symptoms that caused it to be revealed?
There is a suggestion that is can be reversed and kept under control by exercise and good diet ( but not cured).Has this worked for anyone out there?
My Type 2 was diagnosed when I had a UTI about 6 years ago. The doctor tested my urine for signs of infection and noticed it had a high sugar level, subsequent blood tests revealed a Hba1C of 75. Anything above 48 is considered Diabetic. With changes in diet and medication (Metformin), I’ve managed to get my level down to around 50, though it has recently started to creep up again. I’m not particularly strict with my diet but have given up chocolate. I still eat bread and rice regularly and pasta occasionally. I do the same amount of exercise as I always did, around 100-150 miles a week on the bike. This didn’t save me from getting Diabetes, you can’t outrun or out cycle a bad diet. I could do with losing a few stone. I’m pretty much the same weight as when I was diagnosed.

Other than the UTI, I had no symptoms before I was diagnosed.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
briansnail

Post by briansnail »

What I find annoying is I found a well known premium chocolate retailer. Its not the prices but the fact they advertise as low sugar but do not specify exactly how much. The other main brands of chocolates are high in sugar. At least they specify in black and white on the packet clearly how much sugar they have. Usually half sugar half chocolate so in just a measly 100g bar 50 g is sugar. More than double the recommended daily intake.