Knee Replacement

danfoto

Re: Knee Replacement

Post by danfoto »

Ta for that mister. I was back to cycling normally in 6 weeks and one day with the left knee and I'm determined to beat that this time. I got the same chap as last time, and so far the only difference I've noticed is that he must have let the apprentice do the closing up 'cos it's nowhere near as neat as last time, but no worries as it'll all even out in due course. Oh, and whoever tightened the tourniquet wasn't taking any chances. The bruising was quite something once it all came out!

BTW, I've had a couple of folk say they can't understand why the recovery's such hard work. I've found the best response is to say "check out one of the online videos of the op and see if you still don't understand ... :lol:

PS I'm 76 btw.
danfoto

Post by danfoto »

Just by way of an update, today is the 25th day post-op and this morning I was able to ride my bike up and down the lane with no problems. Last time it was 43 days, and I have no idea what accounts for the difference in recovery rate. Same surgeon in same hospital, btw.
beardybiker01

Post by beardybiker01 »

Bhamphysio wrote: 3 Sep 2023, 10:00am
THE MOST IMPORTANT RULE -
7. Do not have this surgery unless you have the mindset to work very hard.The surgery is the relative easy bit. It’s the postop rehab that’s hard. If you did nothing after your surgery, you will have a permanently stiff and functionless knee and a lot of pain. The surgery is doomed to failure.
An excellent and very helpful post in which I am thoroughly of the same opinion.

After having bilateral simultaneous TKR there was an enormous amount of rehab to do in the first few weeks. Very painful initially but essential. Prehab also helped.

No one mentioned that the night pain would be different from the day pain and for me it was helped by different medication.

I found that in addition to using the turbo, a C2 rowing machine helped me to achieve 0° extension and 130° degrees of flexion. Sliding gently up and down on the rower certainly helped. My flexion pre op was 120°.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

I've had my knee replacement operation cancelled five times, twice on the day of the surgery when I was in the hospital and had all the pre-med stuff done. No longer have any faith or trust in the NHS. I think they play cynical games, in that they have various target dates, schedule ops to meet them but cancel, because they have no intention of actually operating.

Edit. Not long after I wrote that the postman turned up with a letter giving me an appointment date for the operation. Wonder what the odds are that they actually intend doing it this time.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

pete75 wrote: 22 Sep 2023, 12:53pm I've had my knee replacement operation cancelled five times, twice on the day of the surgery when I was in the hospital and had all the pre-med stuff done. No longer have any faith or trust in the NHS. I think they play cynical games, in that they have various target dates, schedule ops to meet them but cancel, because they have no intention of actually operating.

Edit. Not long after I wrote that the postman turned up with a letter giving me an appointment date for the operation. Wonder what the odds are that they actually intend doing it this time.
Best of luck then Pete
I am here. Where are you?
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Cowsham wrote: 23 Sep 2023, 10:37am
pete75 wrote: 22 Sep 2023, 12:53pm I've had my knee replacement operation cancelled five times, twice on the day of the surgery when I was in the hospital and had all the pre-med stuff done. No longer have any faith or trust in the NHS. I think they play cynical games, in that they have various target dates, schedule ops to meet them but cancel, because they have no intention of actually operating.

Best of luck then Pete
Thanks.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker