Monmouthshire & Brecon canal nr Crickhowell

Trips, adventures, bikes, equipment, etc.
julian

Monmouthshire & Brecon canal nr Crickhowell

Post by julian »

We're off to Green Man festival next week at Crickhowell with a day or 2 either side.... Can anyone report on what the condition the canal path is in?

We can only take Bromptons so was wondering if it's hard pack or au naturel muds-ville

Cheers
Richard Fairhurst

Re: Monmouthshire & Brecon canal nr Crickhowell

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

From memory it should usually be ok except after prolonged rain. The Mon & Brec is on the hillside of the Usk valley so the water generally runs off. Compare to (say) the Shropshire Union cuttings where it tends to pool.
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
a.twiddler

Post by a.twiddler »

I would be interested in this too as part of a trip I'm considering. It would be nice to be able to ride between Cwmbran and Brecon on something equivalent to a hybrid, even a Brompton, as it would simplify the train part of the trip. According to Pearson's canal guide (admittedly mainly for boaters) it's rideable all the way but I take that with a pinch of salt after riding most of the Montgomery canal last year (on a Brompton) using the guide. The towpath there varied from marvellous, through rideable, to better off using the road, but which was which didn't always tally with the guide.

So a wheels on towpath experience of the M & B from someone who's used it recently would be welcome.
jimlews

Post by jimlews »

Surface is fine. You may find muddy puddles if it's been raining, but no bottomless gloop.
You may also encounter occasional intrusive overgrowth; nothing your Brommie can't cope with. It will be long grass, if you find it.
Enjoy the ride !
a.twiddler

Post by a.twiddler »

It's surprising what a Brommie can cope with. This looks quite promising.
julian

Post by julian »

Took a long walk from Crickhowell - Glanusk estate along the canal in late August: def not for loaded Bromptons IME (subjective issue I know as some will tolerate more than others). Towpath had sections of poorly drained/unsurfaced. Beautiful canal though- will return with bigger wheels and grippier tyres.