Tesco Ultra-Lite Mummy Sleeping Bag

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
cyclepete

Tesco Ultra-Lite Mummy Sleeping Bag

Post by cyclepete »

hi just been on the tesco website and they have this down bag reduced to £27.50 i paid £35 pound for it 4 month ago
i know there are a lot off issues with good vs cheap but at this price for a down bag can you go wrong? :wink:
bogmyrtle

Re: Tesco Ultra-Lite Mummy Sleeping Bag

Post by bogmyrtle »

Cyclepete,
I would be interested to know how it performs. Can you report back once you've used it?
Thanks

A bike does more miles to the banana than a Porsche.
A bike does more miles to the banana than a Porsche.
robthehungrymonkey

Post by robthehungrymonkey »

Has anyone got any experience of the "Tesco Micro-lite Mummy Sleeping Bag"?

It's pretty damn cheap! (£15) And I don't need/want a sleeping bag designed for too cold weather.

Thanks
ikenbikeit

Post by ikenbikeit »

Its a season and a half bag. I found myself "waking up" cold under about 7 deg C, and thats with silk liner. Terrific value for money though
bailout

Post by bailout »

ikenbikeit wrote:Its a season and a half bag. I found myself "waking up" cold under about 7 deg C, and thats with silk liner. Terrific value for money though

Is that the down one the op reffered to or the £15 microlite one?

The down ones were bought by quite a few people in the backpacking community as a light cheap summer bag and feedback seemed to be quite positive.
robthehungrymonkey

Post by robthehungrymonkey »

I do like the sound of the microlite bag, but am dubius of the quality.

I don't want a warm bag (i'm buying it with the intention of cycling through the middle of spain in early summer!!), but would like one that will last the trip, is small (vital) and light.

Do they sell these in Tesco stores? Or, is it just online?
Wobbly John

Post by Wobbly John »

I bought one of the ultralite (£27) ones after seeing this thread. They pack down suprisingly small - the box it came in (why?) was twice as big as it needed to be.

It also seems rather thin. I think I'll wait for a warmer night before I try it out - still frosty in the mornings at the moment.
meic

Post by meic »

I guess it was in a larger bag as it is not good for down to be kept squashed for a long time.
Yma o Hyd
jayd

Post by jayd »

I bought one recently, but haven't tried it out. It lofts O.K (after the recommended 48 hours from new), but not quite as dramatically as my Alpkit bag.
I think it'll make a good spring/ summer bag, but I'll reserve judgement after a night spent in it.
patricktaylor

Post by patricktaylor »

There's the Ultra-Lite and Micro-Lite. The Ultra-Lite has goose down with Extreme Rating minus 10.6 degrees. We bought one of each today from a Tesco store.
kevinp

Post by kevinp »

I have been looking for a reasonably cheap sleeping bag that packs down small to fit on the bike, and have been looking at these bags, I notice a few have bought them have you used them yet and how do you rate them ?
Goinridin

Post by Goinridin »

I'll be using mine in June albeit in the south of France and I'll report back , I'll be using it with a silk inner bag.
cycle_tourer

Post by cycle_tourer »

I can't find the weight of these sleeping bags online. Can someone who owns one weigh it and post that info here? Also be interested in what anyone who has tried the Ultralite thought of it.

Cheers
Wobbly John

Post by Wobbly John »

The ultralite is 800 grammes. You can see the detail in the 'features' tag of the webpage.

I have slept in mine, but only in an unheated building. The bag felt thin, but I was plenty warm enough. I'd be prepared to sleep out in this weather in one, but wouldn't expect to be comfy on a cold night at this time of year.
patricktaylor

Post by patricktaylor »

cycle_tourer wrote:... Also be interested in what anyone who has tried the Ultralite thought of it ...

Not very good. Too thin. I was cold (temperature maybe 5 degrees at night). Good value I suppose. It packs up small, light, and cheap. But cold with two T-shirts. I put my fleece on.