White Lightning Clean Ride Wax Lube

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Ivor Tingting

White Lightning Clean Ride Wax Lube

Post by Ivor Tingting »

Have just started using this. Does anyone one use it on their chain and what are your experiences or thoughts on it?
Is it any better or worse than GT85?
Any other lube recommendations?
I'm commuting about 30 miles a day in all weathers.
Any advice greatly appreciated,
Alex
"Zat is ze reel prowoking qwestion Mr Paxman." - Peer Steinbruck, German Finance Minister 31/03/2009.
woollee23

Re: White Lightning Clean Ride Wax Lube

Post by woollee23 »

It often comes down to personal preference, but I'm not keen on wax lubes. I've tried the Finish Line wax lube in the past but found that it just collected random bits of crud to the drivetrain, especially in wet conditions (and it didn't even have to be that wet!).

I'm a recent convert to 'Green Oil' for my chain, though I have my suspcions that it's formula may be based on items readily found in your kitchen cupboard.

Also, please note that GT85 is not a chain lube - it's a water displacer akin to WD40. Your chain and sprockets will wear very quickly if you use this alone.
fatboy

Post by fatboy »

I like Progold Prolink Chain Lube. It does't attract too much road grit plus it stays on quite well in the rain etc.

I didn't get on with White Lightning; it didn't stop my chain from rusting.
"Marriage is a wonderful invention; but then again so is the bicycle puncture repair kit." - Billy Connolly
toontra

Post by toontra »

I've tried a couple of the wax lubes, including White Lightning, and found that:

1) It washed off in the wet and collected just as much debris in the dry as a regular lube (thus defeating it's only claimed benefit).
2) Unless applied before every longish ride my drive-chain started squeaking (i.e. components were wearing at a fast rate).
3) It's expensive, especially when you have to apply it up to 5 times a week.

I honestly don't think it lives up to the marketing hype. It's a good idea that just doesn't work very well in practice. And yes, I applied it very carefully, as I do with all lubes, one drop on each pin and rub off any excess from the plates. That didn't stop the chain getting just as gritty and filthy as with any other lube.
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

Can't say I'm too bothered what lube I use. That said, the only lube I definately didn't like was White Lightening CRWL. Notably ineffective, providing little in the way of lubrication, needed reapplying every other ride, didn't keep the chain cleaner than any other lube, provided no corrosion resistence and relatively expensive

I tend to use a light/dry teflon lube for summer/sports use (Finish Line teflon dry) and a heavier oil based one for winter and touring (Found the lighter lubes less effective on longer/wetter/dirtier rides)
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I've tried loads of different stuff over the years, and my favourite by far is White Lightning Clean Ride. It used to be called Original BTW.

I agree that the build-up is a bit of a problem in wet weather, but it cleans off easily to leave a spotless chain, ready for a new application. My chains last and last and last, far more that they used to do in the past.

Even with a build-up, the chain is non-oily and non-manky, also it won't drip off and make a mess on your living room carpet!

The stuff does what it says on the bottle, just don't neglect the cleanliness issue when there's a build-up, and add some more every day or two.

Excellent stuff.
Mick F. Cornwall
NewHorizon

Post by NewHorizon »

fatboy wrote:I like Progold Prolink Chain Lube. It does't attract too much road grit plus it stays on quite well in the rain etc.

My lube of choice at the moment after trying a lot of dry ones and concluding they weren't up to the job. Although its wet, its like water and can be wiped off after applying and then after a ride for a very clean chain. Not perfect - some spots of rust on my chain overnight after a very wet 3 hour ride the day before, but that’s forgivable.
fatboy wrote:I didn't get on with White Lightning; it didn't stop my chain from rusting.

Or from making a terrible noise - chatted about this with the mechanic at LBS who sold it to me - he admitted it was crap and recommended Finish Line.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

NewHorizon wrote:
fatboy wrote:I didn't get on with White Lightning; it didn't stop my chain from rusting.

Or from making a terrible noise - chatted about this with the mechanic at LBS who sold it to me - he admitted it was crap and recommended Finish Line.

It isn't rubbish, it's wonderful.

If your chain is rusting, you haven't put enough on.
If your chain is noisy, you haven't put enough on.

My chain doesn't rust, even in rain all day.
My chain isn't noisy.

Your LBS chap doesn't know what he's talking about.

Sorry for being blunt, but I know it's good. Anybody who has seen my bike, and there's a few on this forum that have, would agree my bike isn't noisy or rusty.
Mick F. Cornwall
fatboy

Post by fatboy »

Mick F wrote:It isn't rubbish, it's wonderful.

If your chain is rusting, you haven't put enough on.
If your chain is noisy, you haven't put enough on.

My chain doesn't rust, even in rain all day.
My chain isn't noisy.

Well I don't know what was going on but I used nearly a whole pot in about a fortnight (from a clean chain and gears) and couldn't get it to stop the chain rusting. I don't know what I'm doing wrong but I don't care as I have my prolink chain lube which works well for me.

I think that White Lightning is the marmite of the bike world, you either love it or hate it........
"Marriage is a wonderful invention; but then again so is the bicycle puncture repair kit." - Billy Connolly
Kevin K

Post by Kevin K »

Following Mick F's recommendation in an earlier post I've started using White Lightning Clean on my bike, and so far am pleased with the result. My commute yesterday was wet and manky, the sort of ride that normally coats my chain in muck. While there was some muck on the chain when I arrived at work, it all wiped off easily with a tissue and the chain looked good as new.

I did reapply a small amount of White Lightning after my return commute as I was a bit enthusiastic wiping the chain in the morning! However, having dismantled and cleaned the drivetrain (including degreasing the chain with Gunk) I was keen to keep it looking new and shiny!

As for cost, it doesn't seem expensive compared to running the car I used own. I reckon 1-2 bottles a month when it's really wet and snowy and no more than 0.5-1 a month when it's dry. A small price to pay for a clean chain and smooth drive train. Kevin
Kevin K. Glasgow
Colin Stanley

Post by Colin Stanley »

This WL clean ride lube' works well on my road bike and tourer. However, it doesn't work on the tandem rear chain with a Rolhoff. The chain starts to squeak dry very soon, probably because of the extra forces involed? What does work here is the WL wet lube. It seems to stay in place longer and so far, has been ok for a 40 mile day ride.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

fatboy wrote:I think that White Lightning is the marmite of the bike world, you either love it or hate it........
Great! Love it! You should register it as an advertising slogan!

I rode all day in heavy rain on my way from Bridgwater to Welsh Bicknor some years ago, and I never had any rust. Also, last summer, I rode from Longtown, near Carlisle, and up into the North Pennines over to Grinton YHA. It rained from about 10ish as I climbed towards Alston. I was soaking wet when I fell into the Bridge Inn (half a mile from Grinton YHA) for a beer. I'd done 60 odd miles in rain and muck, right over the top to Barnard Castle, then over the Stang into Reeth and Grinton.

Bike was manky. I was tired and worn out. I was bad-tempered. I was soaked to the skin. I was hungry. Bike was in dire need of TLC and a nice warm bike shed.

Bike didn't get any of that. He had to stay in a cold, damp old gate-house. I left him there, leaning up against the wall, dripping water onto the concrete floor.

The following morning, I went down to look at the poor thing. He was still wet. He was still manky. I pumped up the tyres and gave him a good looking-at. I lubed the chain with WL.

NO RUST.
Mick F. Cornwall
nickkiebubi

Post by nickkiebubi »

Yes, White Lightning is fantastic - I have just completed 945 miles and my chain and cassette are entering their 4,000 miles.(KMC Gold SL + Shimano XT cassette)
It is different from ordinary oil tho' and you must use it more often.
I was doing just over 70 miles a day. Every evening I gave the chain a quick one minute clean with toilet paper then applied the lube to the top of the chain, then the bottom. Then whizz the chain around several times - both ways.
I know you don't need to clean it as I did with the toilet paper - but it may lubricate it even better.
The 945 miles took me 13 days - I used between a third to a half a bottle - so £3 worth - probably more than 3-in-One oil, but a lot less messy and dirt attracting.
Also - it comes off clothes readily!
It does wash away more quickly with heavy rain, but if you take a half filled bottle with you, you can dry and re-lube straight away you reach your destination
A bottle half filled is not too heavy.
Yes, you need to shake it every time.

hope this helps, Nick
The Mechanic

Post by The Mechanic »

I have only one thing to say on this subject; Purple Extreme :P
Cancer changes your outlook on life. Change yours before it changes you.
joolz1967

Post by joolz1967 »

I've used White lightning clean ride thoughout the summer, and in rain conditions, found it excellent with no rusting on the chain. However, much the same as Mick F, I have a Campagnolo chain with a special coating, pehaps other brand chains may rust when used with WL clean ride ? Has anyone used White Lightning Epic Ride, as the compromise ?

Julian.