studland gravel route advice

Trips, adventures, bikes, equipment, etc.
mattsccm

studland gravel route advice

Post by mattsccm »

Does anyone know the Studland area well? Looking for a gravelly route from the NT carpark to Wareham and back. Plenty on line but all the same thing and I am trying to avoid as much duplication as possible. I know I'll have to use the main road from Stoborough to Wareham but otherwise lets avoid busy roads.
There is a double track marked on the OS map across Middlemore Heath. Is it rideable?
Any inspiration?
Norman H

Re: studland gravel route advice

Post by Norman H »

If that's the track on the right about 1½ miles from the car park, then yes it is rideable.

I used it a couple of years ago between the Sandbanks ferry and the RSPB reserve at Arne. It was summertime and was fine on 28mm tyres but from what I remember there was a short section along a narrow path that could be muddy at this time of year. I turned left onto Meadus's lane before joining the B3351 and then the A351 into Corfe. I joined route 2 at the Norden roundabout. If you turn right at Medus's Lane it's possible to avoid the road section into Corfe but I've not ridden that section of track. Briefly, after turning right follow Meadus's Lane to Thrasher's Lane. Cross Thrasher's Lane onto the track opposite and follow it until it joins route 2 shortly after crossing the Sharford Bridge.
slowster

Post by slowster »

I rode that route several years ago on a hot summer's day. My memory is very hazy, but I recall the track went through a gap between trees in one or two places at and/or west of Sharford Bridge, where it looked likely to be pretty muddy in winter. IIRC it did not look like it would be possible to bypass those short bits, unlike the open ground/fields either side of the gap(s).

I suspect some of the section between Greenlands Farm and Goathorn Farm might be muddy in winter, because I think the track dropped into a small dip, but according to the map that could be detoured.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Cheers, we'll see how that goes. May be somewhat wet at the moment.
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

To make a circular route explore the network of quiet roads to the west of the A351. The road over Creech Hill to Steeple and along the valley to Church Knowle and Corfe has great views and could be extended with a detour to Kimmeridge. Incidentally, as an alternative to the valley road, I've seen cyclists on the track that runs over Smedmore Hill towards Swyre Head and Kingston, it can be accessed from just behind the quarry above Kimmeridge village.

If you want less climbing then the route through Furzebrook and East Creech is a little easier. At the top of this climb you can descend to the valley or join the off road track that that follows the ridge of Knowle Hill, once again I've seen cyclists using this track.

From Corfe the obvious off road choice is the track over Brenscombe Hill and Nine Barrow Down to Ulwell but it might be muddy at this time of year. If you've any energy left you might also consider the track out along Ballard Down to Old Harry.

There are two on road alternatives, apart from the quite busy B3351. The quietest option is the back road through Woolgarston towards the outskirts of Swanage, either visit Swanage for refreshments or turn left for Ulwell and Studland. The other on road option is the B3069 through Kingston to Langton Matravers. The main attraction of this route is the Square and Compass at Worth Matravers, excellent ale, cider and home made pasties.
slowster

Post by slowster »

Bear in mind that the terrain north of Purbeck between Studland and Wareham is fairly flat and easy going, whereas the roads and tracks through Purbeck are lumpier, and in some spots fiendishly steep. Doing a loop that goes through Purbeck will give a harder ride, so at this time of year it would be well to consider the likely start time and the available hours of daylight. An anti-clockwise route would be likely to result in a route with a second half that was quite a bit harder than the first half.

It is many years since I rode the lane from Stoborough to Creech, but I made a mental note at the time never to cycle it again. It is a dead straight narrow country lane, and I found that motorists drove along it at excessive speeds, and were travelling far too fast and close when they overtook me. The last time I cycled through that area, I took the A351 instead, because I considered it safer.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Unsuprisingly we didn't get that far. Just west of the big oil pumping station was a flood with no viable way round. Went back to the NT cafe for a brew. A likely outcome given the weather but we had to go that way today becuase of the weather and its effects on family.