Good micro-fibre towel

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
brianleach

Re: Good micro-fibre towel

Post by brianleach »

When I started cycle touring in 2007 I bought a travel towel from Lifeventure.

Used it recently and it still gets you pretty dry. Also dries out quite quickly. Not exactly micro though.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

I just use a plain ordinary cotton towelling towel, in a size somewhere between hand and bath. A friend was impressed by her Paramo towel, apparently much better at getting you dry and drying out itself than other brands she's tried; I looked at the specs and it weighs more than my ordinary towel! Though TBF it probably does dry out quicker.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Bmblbzzz wrote: 22 May 2023, 9:17pm I just use a plain ordinary cotton towelling towel, in a size somewhere between hand and bath. A friend was impressed by her Paramo towel, apparently much better at getting you dry and drying out itself than other brands she's tried; I looked at the specs and it weighs more than my ordinary towel! Though TBF it probably does dry out quicker.
Ditto -- tried microfibre towels on one trip -- bad mistake so bought a small cheap cotton towel from Tesco -- much better. I used the micro for cleaning the tent then binned it.
I am here. Where are you?
TimeTraveller

Post by TimeTraveller »

I've got one I had for years, a blue colour that came in a black mesh sack ( Lifeventure)

I also have one of a very similar fabric (smooth microfibre) that I made from the lidl microfibre square cloths, Just got a few packs and sewn into the size I needed. I like the fabric and worked out it cost loads less than the cost of the good blue un..
I think it was 2 cloths for a quid...it took 8 to make a new towel and a couple to make a neck gator ( wet weather run off helmet)

suposse I will buy a new ready made one at some point...
Last edited by TimeTraveller on 28 Jul 2023, 10:24am, edited 1 time in total.
Pete... I think
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Slightly fluffy ones as in that red one in the pic.
Other than that pick a size and buy the cheapest or even two. They are all the same apart from the label. The smooth ones don't feel as nice to use to me although they do work as well.
Rob D

Post by Rob D »

We don't bother with towels. Just use a standard face flannel - in a dark colour so it dries quicker. If wrung out, it'll dry you adequately. Also used for drying the tent, and feet after river crossings if walking.
Richard D

Post by Richard D »

A "good microfibre towel" is a contradiction in terms IMO.

I switched to a thin waffle-weave linen towel (black, to dry quicker in the sun). Way better than any MF towel I have ever tried (and naturally antimicrobial too).