"Chased and stopped by the Police!"

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
meic

"Chased and stopped by the Police!"

Post by meic »

Today I was stopped by the Police, I had been reported for an "incident" four miles away. I was "pursued" and stopped and very quickly the Police decided it was a false claim.

Anyone care to guess the level of severity of the offence that I was falsely accused of?
What level of offence does justify that in theory and what level of offence in practice, bearing in mind our over-stretched Police force.

I am not "up in arms" or enraged but quite amazed.
Yma o Hyd
patricktaylor

Re: "Chased and stopped by the Police!"

Post by patricktaylor »

Single pannier?
Jay-X

Post by Jay-X »

Being on a bike?
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

patricktaylor wrote:Single pannier?

Unlikely, they'd never let that go...

Overtaking cars too close and too fast whilst shouting "pay more road tax!" is my bet.
fossil

Post by fossil »

ringing you bicycle bell in a residential up area :lol:
jan19

Post by jan19 »

holding a motorist up for 10 seconds?

Jan
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Surely - "not wearing a 'thing' on your head"?
Mick F. Cornwall
meic

Post by meic »

Well, you are all getting the level of the offence right.

I was accused of not having a seatbelt on the toddler in the trailer.
When the Police Officer stopped me, she was clearly wearing a 3 point harness as she always does.
The Police officer was a bit apologetic and I was a bit annoyed about the malicious reporting and asked if I could do a counter-complaint as I was sure it was part of motorists always trying to hassle cyclists who had delayed them.

The Police Officer said he had no problems with me and as I had accepted his advice, I could carry on. However a report had been made and he had to follow it up.
I replied, politely but firmly, that I did not accept his advice as I had done nothing wrong. I did not want to do anything that implied I had accepted any wrong had been done.

The Police Officer said he was going back to the station to get the details of the caller and have words with them.
As the Officer was leaving I said "The arent any regulations about children in trailers are there." Not as a question but as a statement.
To be fair the officer said "you're probably right."
Yma o Hyd
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

You are, of course, completely right. It does seem unlikely that if you had been driving a car - when a child without a seatbelt would have been an offence - that any attempt would have been made to track you down.

As a former colleague used to say 'The mind boggles, Michael, the mind boggles.' :?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

thirdcrank wrote:'The mind boggles, Michael, the mind boggles.' :?

My teachers used to say that to me!
Mick F. Cornwall
dmiller

Post by dmiller »

To be honest I was wondering how the police tracked you down over 4 miles... The child seat must have been a good clue for them.

In all fairness to the officer it sounds like its one of those "oh {FFE - family-friendly edit } someones actually going to have to look into this..." calls for the Police where they know its daft but have to be seen to be doing something.

Now if they are bored and want to be seen doing something I can think of a few places one well placed officer can catch all kinds of road going shenanigans!
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

dmiller wrote:In all fairness to the officer it sounds like its one of those "oh {FFE - family-friendly edit } someones actually going to have to look into this..." calls for the Police where they know its daft but have to be seen to be doing something.

I have to say, that if there was nobody between the operator taking the call and meic who was able confidently to say 'This is not an offence' it makes me feel a bit sad :cry:

You have to wonder how the call was written off.
dmiller

Post by dmiller »

thirdcrank wrote:I have to say, that if there was nobody between the operator taking the call and meic who was able confidently to say 'This is not an offence' it makes me feel a bit sad :cry:

You have to wonder how the call was written off.

Well yeah, there is that!

I wonder if it made it through to an officer as its pretty unusual and all the civ support staff in the way just decided they were not making a call on if thats legal or not... more then thier jobs worth to make that call...
rbrian

Post by rbrian »

Come on now people, this was a heinous crime - there was a CHILD involved!! :roll:
Cynic? No, an optimist tempered by experience.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Yes, and that's why I'm interested in how it was written off................