Ribble SLe Range Extender

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
Roadbikedawnie

Ribble SLe Range Extender

Post by Roadbikedawnie »

Have a bit of a long story I will try to keep it short. Basically I’ve got a range extender and it is showing pink flashing error light. I have sent both the bike and range extender to Ribble to be updated with the firmware. The bike is absolutely fine but unfortunately the range extender is still flashing pink. I reached back out to Ribble and they said that they had upgraded the firmware and that it was fine, but when I received it back from Ribble , it was still flashing pink. ( am I missing something?)The pink error light it is saying it is a 193 which is an overcharge. unfortunately, my range extender is now three years old so out of warranty. I have also reached out to Mahle and they have said I need to get in touch with Ribble , which, of course I already have. They are passing the buck to each other, leaving me in the middle, not knowing what to do! The range extender cost £550 so can’t keep on and on buying new ones. Just would appreciate any opinions from anyone out there who might have an idea what I can do.
Even if I wanted to replace it, they’re all out of stock too!
bikes4two

Re: Ribble SLe Range Extender

Post by bikes4two »

• I'm not a Mahle X35 user but out of curiosity I googled the issue you are having
  • Firstly, some say pink light, others say it is purple
  • Secondly, you are not alone in having this issue. I googled something like "mahle pink light" (or purple light) - certainly one youtube vid by SoloBikerDave had an error code indicating an overcharge - he simply rode the bike for a very short while to discharge the battery a bit and the error went
  • Out of interest, is the range extender working OK ie does it charge up the main battery as it should? If it does and the error subsequently clears, then consider just putting up with the issue
Without my stoker, every trip would only be half a journey
bikes4two

Post by bikes4two »

Do you have an update for us please? I'm sure a lot of forum readers would be interested to know how you are getting on.
Without my stoker, every trip would only be half a journey
Lentilbake

Post by Lentilbake »

My wife's Ribble had/has a similar problem. Every time it's charged to 100% the pink flashing light starts on the bike. Also when the range extender runs out of charge it starts to flash pink. The problem usually clears itself by just riding for a bit. Updating the bike firmware is supposed to fix this problem and that's where it gets more complicated.

If you look on the My Smartbike app you'll see three controllers and their firmware versions listed (Battery/iWOC Smart Controller/Joystick). When the update package runs it should update the firmwares as required, Mahle systems have several different battery types and it would seem that some of them don't require the latest firmware, the installer package should detect this and update accordingly.

I bought a GCU cable and updated the firmware myself on my wife's bike and on mine using the latest installer package and instructions from the Mahle website. My bike updated fine, the battery and joystick controller firmwares went to the latest versions and the iWOC Smart controller stayed the same (that's supposed to happen).

On my wifes bike the joystick controller updated and the battery controller remained as it was. I tried to run the update package a second time to see if the battery controller would update and the whole process went wrong, the GCU cable and memory stick failed completely and no longer function, the bike went into 'Safe Mode' (pink light on all the time) and I've had to take the bike to my local dealer to try to sort it (no luck as yet).

Mahle have just released (last week) an updated installer package (Q3.3) so maybe this might cure your problem? As far as I'm aware there's nothing to update in the Range Extender itself, the bike firmware controls everything.

Your problem is with the Mahle system and I would deal directly with them via a local bike who has the GCU cable and can update your bike as required. I've had quite a good response from Mahle of late and they were very helpful in trying to fix and identify my problems. They are now helping the guy at my LBS to try to fix the 'safe mode' problem and they've asked for proof of purchase for a warranty claim although it's probably out of warranty now. Ribble have been of no use to me as I'm 200 miles away from their base in Preston and they want me to send the bike back at my own expense before they'll do anything, They also take ages to respond to requests by email.

GOOD LUCK
Last edited by Lentilbake on 13 Sep 2023, 2:08pm, edited 1 time in total.
richardfm

Post by richardfm »

Like @bikes4two I decided to Google Mahle X35. I found this
"The 250Wh battery capacity is engineered for the ideal weight and efficiency ratio. It has enough power to give the rider support for the whole day in the seat without the extra weight and bulk while being elegantly hidden inside the bike’s frame."

And thought"how is 250Wh going to last all day? Then I looked to see what they had to say about the range extender and found this
"Range Extender
This optional battery for X35 Systems is one of the most interesting accessories for X35+ propulsion. Its 208 Wh complement the 250 Wh of the main inner battery, reaching a total capacity of 458 Wh. These numbers can power the system for 4.5 hours with an average consumption of 100 W, the system’s current average."

So from a 250Wh battery lasting all day they have changed to 458Wh lasting 4.5 hours!
Richard M
Cardiff
Lentilbake

Post by Lentilbake »

The range extender does nearly double the battery capacity of the system and will therefore increase the range accordingly. The 'actual' range you get will depend on many factors:

-How much you use the assist
-Which assist levels you use
-The terrain you are travelling across (how many hills)
-How much you weigh
-How much your bike/luggage weighs
-The prevailing wind
-Even which tyres and tyre pressures you use, whether you have flat bars or drops, which clothing you wear, the ambient temperature etc will have some effect on your range.

It's almost impossible therefore, to talk in generalisations like 'lasting the whole day' etc.

In my experience using the range extender does more or less double the usual range I get when not using it.

It's interesting how the range extender works on Mahle systems. At the start of a ride you plug in the extender, and switch on. As you ride the extender battery charges the bike battery whenever it can i.e. when you are not using assist, when you are freewheeling, stopped or going faster than 15mph. It can only charge at a maximum of two amps so in theory you can drain the bike battery faster than the extender can charge it. In practice though it works very well, on a normal ride it keeps the bike battery topped up. Eventually the extender runs out of charge and the bike battery takes over. I suppose if you were climbing a huge hill under full assist for mile on mile the bike battery may run down and you'll have to stop and wait for the extender to re-charge it. This has never happened to me.
Rickyboy

Post by Rickyboy »

I have just had my range extender firmware re flashed. Unfortunately it has not fixed the issue with the 201 flashing light error.
I believe it's out of warranty so is now nothing more than a doorstop.!
Annoying when you consider the cost of these things.
richtea99

Post by richtea99 »

Did you see my reply here?
viewtopic.php?t=159016&sid=6596aa41fcfb ... b52a419b70
i.e.
1. Allow to charge until the error disappears (around 3 hours). 2. If the error persists, try a new charger.

Step 1 should have been done by your LBS. Did they?