Belt drive "creaking"

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
danfoto

Belt drive "creaking"

Post by danfoto »

I have a 2023 model Gazelle Grenoble C5 HMB, which has belt drive to the Shimano 5-speed hub. The belt's started "creaking" intermittently from time to time for no apparent reason. I'm unable to decide what the rate at which it "creaks" ties in with, but it seems to vary according to gear selected i.e. lower gear, more creaking. The really mystifying thing is that it seems to start and stop as the fancy takes it: I cannot make it start creaking, nor can I stop it creaking once it starts.

Has anybody else met this? I'm minded to try giving the belt a squirt of something to see if a smidgeon of lubrication helps, but I'm scared stiff of thereby reducing its lifespan. Belt is correctly tensioned and bike's done just over 1000 miles.
Tom

Re: Belt drive "creaking"

Post by Tom »

I found that if belt is within the guidelines on tension,in line front and rear drive ,clean(Water),not to badly warn,it should be ok.
I find gates who make them are very helpful,
Google, gates cycle drive belts, customer sevices,they will assist you
Good luck
Tom
danfoto

Re: Belt drive "creaking"

Post by danfoto »

Well, I never did find out what was causing it, but after I'd been out on the bike in torrential rain it decided to stop creaking, so I guess it was down to grot on the belt.