Don't do as I say.......call The Thought Police

For discussions within the Cycle Training profession.
billynibbles
Location: Hounslow (to where the population of Southall drives every day with no apparent regard for cyclists)

Don't do as I say.......call The Thought Police

Post by billynibbles »

Having been a cycling instructor for around 6 years, firstly under the old 'CP' schemes, later adding in an on-road final day, and now with a scheme designed around National Standards, I was amused whilst reading the pre-course material supplied to me prior to a NS-training course in which I was advised to avoid using inflammatory phrases like 'treat everyone else as if they're an idiot'.

OK, but just try and stop me thinking it!

It's a premise that has stood me in good stead on many an occasion.
adinigel

Re: Don't do as I say.......call The Thought Police

Post by adinigel »

billynibbles wrote:....It's a premise that has stood me in good stead on many an occasion.

and should continue to do so in your future training. I have used it and will continue to do so. I suppose to be politically correct we should adapt the phrase to 'treat everyone as if they are going to behave like idiots'. That way we are attacking the behaviour rather than the person.

Nigel :D
Punk_shore

Post by Punk_shore »

The problem then is, how to teach the pupils about the behaviour of idiots. Would it be more objective to say that other road users are likely to be aggressive and selfish in an unpredictable and illogical manner... :?:

Still, psychology is apparently a popular subject for study by school pupils. Perhaps cycling will further their academic achievements.

Punk_shore
What is the colour(s) of your cycle?
Which of its benefits would you recommend?
Please lookup the Bicycle Renewal Programme, linked to the website button beneath "Santa's Little Helper" cartoon.
meic

Post by meic »

It was standard practice in motorcycle training too and I believe that it has saved more lives than crash helmets!
OK stick in the word potential if you want to be nice about things
"All other road users are potential idiots" this is more correct but it does lessen its impact a little bit.
Yma o Hyd
byegad

Post by byegad »

I did the RAC/ACU Motorcycle Training Course in the late 1960s. The chief instructor started his first 'chat' with;

'It's best to treat all other road users as if they are about to try and kill you. It's not deliberate but their stupidity and/or thoughtlessness is all it takes.'

I have riddem motorcycles, bicycles, recumbent bicycles, recumbent trikes and driven cars with that thought in mind for forty years.

So far, So good....

Looks for wood to touch....

Taps wooden head.
"I thought of that while riding my bike." -Albert Einstein, on the Theory of Relativity

2007 ICE QNT
2008 Hase Kettwiesel AL27
2011 Catrike Trail
1951 engine
milly

Post by milly »

Political Correctness is fostered by an illogical liberal minority and unscrupulous liberal press which believes it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end. :shock:
fishheads eat them up yum
Punk_shore

Post by Punk_shore »

... of the vacuum cleaner? :mrgreen:
What is the colour(s) of your cycle?
Which of its benefits would you recommend?
Please lookup the Bicycle Renewal Programme, linked to the website button beneath "Santa's Little Helper" cartoon.