Carradice Barley

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Beakyboy

Carradice Barley

Post by Beakyboy »

Is this saddlebag really small? Is it suitable for an overnight? I like the colour and all th others seem too big.
May the wind always be at your rear!
woollee23

Re: Carradice Barley

Post by woollee23 »

The Barley is reckoned to be 7 litres. I use it for my commute to work for tools, inner tubes, bits of food and back up clothing (gilet, top layer, etc) and it does the job well for that. However, I would suggest that it's a bit small for an overnight stay (but of course it depends on how much you want to stash).

If it's colour and adaptability you're after may I suggest http://tinyurl.com/cx7a63
EdinburghFixed

Post by EdinburghFixed »

I'm using it for my LEJOG! So it definitely depends on who's asking the question...

I would say 7l is about right. You'll get a change of clothes and support kit in there, but not much else.
NewHorizon

Post by NewHorizon »

You can strap stuff on the top using the D hooks there for that purpose, which expands its capacity. For an overnight B&B I would say it should be ok. Forget it if you're camping!
EdinburghFixed

Post by EdinburghFixed »

For what it's worth, I have just got two pairs of cycling bib shorts, two tops, leg warmers, a light long sleeve jacket, 4 pairs socks and "normal" pants/trousers/t-shirt inside my Barley. If I strapped the jacket on the outside there would be room for a decent book and another item of clothing under the lid. Plus wallet/phone/keys and camera I guess (I wish there was a Barley bar bag for those!)

The side pockets comfortably hold an inner tube plus a couple of small tools each.
Beakyboy

Post by Beakyboy »

Sounds like it's plenty big enough. What are you using as straps to strap stuff to the D rings?
EdinburghFixed

Post by EdinburghFixed »

I'm not, just now the jacket goes under the lid (but not in the bag compartment). I will find some luggage bungees or something I suppose.
Bill D

Post by Bill D »

In one of the side pockets of mine I can fit 2 inner tubes (25mm lightweight ones), 2 tyre levers (yes, I know I only realy need one), a crank brothers multi tool in a metal container (also holds a £10 note and chain repair rivet), 8 x 10mm spanner, mobile phone and there's still a bit of room to spare. I'd agree that it's plenty big enough for overnighting if you like to travel light. But a couple of weeks or so ago I did start a thread about how the Barley doesn't fit properly onto a modern seat/seatppost arrangement: the answer was to buy a £14 gizmo that clamps to the seatpost and holds the saddle off from it, otherwise I don't think you could pack it full of stuff with confidence. Bill
PH

Post by PH »

The Pendle is the next size up, 11 ltrs compared to the Barleys 7, available in the same colours and the same price.
I could pack overnight kit in a Barley, but sometimes it's nice to have a bit of extra capacity, maybe for a bit of shopping on route. The Pendle showing on the Carradice website doesn't have any method of attaching things outside the lid, yet both of mine do. Worth checking as it's usefull for keeping wet gear seperate.
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

this lot fitted into a barley, with room to spare.

i don't have a mobile, and that was the first map to hand. :oops:

Beakyboy

Post by Beakyboy »

hubgearfreak wrote:this lot fitted into a barley, with room to spare.

i don't have a mobile, and that was the first map to hand. :oops:

What sort of phone is that?
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

Beakyboy wrote:What sort of phone is that?

it's a cordless one. it works all around the house and in the immediate part of the grounds, there is a cradle that transmits, receives and charges on the desk. here's a pic of another one with it's other half.
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

it was in the photo to give an idea of what'll fit in. here it is full with all the above items, you'll see that it'd probably take double that lot if you packed it to bulging.