Somerset - worse potholes coming soon

Jdsk

Re: Somerset - worse potholes coming soon

Post by Jdsk »

PH wrote: 7 Jan 2024, 3:22pm We have to be careful to lay the blame where it belongs and it's a mainstay of Tory policy to disguise where that is. It's win-win for the Government, they pull the strings and councillors get the blame. The 2024 LA financial settlement is below inflation and assumes the authorities will raise Council Tax by the maximum permitted, which the Government also set. Even with the maximum settlement and highest CT raise, there's still a huge gap, don't blame the councils for that.
We shouldn't be arguing social care V's road maintenance, councils shouldn't have to decide one or the other, we live in a country wealthy enough for both and in many cases not spending where it's required is a false economy.
Well said. It's a total mess and a serious failure of democratic accountability.

Jonathan
Bonzo Banana

Post by Bonzo Banana »

Saw this news report for somerset council and how to prevent bankruptcy which is basically a 10% increase in council tax and a huge reduction in services.

https://www.somersetlive.co.uk/news/som ... se-9023646

I searched for how much the council is paying on servicing their debts and this came up; So getting towards one billion of debt assuming more debts have been added in the last year and over £30 million just servicing debts. Strangely the news report didn't include the huge level of debt in their article and the crippling interest payments.

The budget for debt interest paid in 2023-24 is £32.2m, based on an average debt portfolio of £835m at an average interest rate of 3.84% (note 4.7% for new debt)

At some point we have to admit we are in an economic crisis and need radical policy changes to restore a trading surplus and live within our means. We have at least 50 painful years of paying back debt which we haven't even started yet.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

We have the worst potholes here in Lincolnshire. Look at this council pothole surveyor at work.

19-03-2021 20-00-51.jpg
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Jdsk wrote: 10 Jan 2024, 11:07am
PH wrote: 7 Jan 2024, 3:22pm We have to be careful to lay the blame where it belongs and it's a mainstay of Tory policy to disguise where that is. It's win-win for the Government, they pull the strings and councillors get the blame. The 2024 LA financial settlement is below inflation and assumes the authorities will raise Council Tax by the maximum permitted, which the Government also set. Even with the maximum settlement and highest CT raise, there's still a huge gap, don't blame the councils for that.
We shouldn't be arguing social care V's road maintenance, councils shouldn't have to decide one or the other, we live in a country wealthy enough for both and in many cases not spending where it's required is a false economy.
Well said. It's a total mess and a serious failure of democratic accountability.

Jonathan
On the contrary, it's democracy in action. People voted the Tory government into power knowing full well it's attitude towards reducing public expenditure, maybe even because of that attitude.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Jdsk wrote: 10 Jan 2024, 11:07am
An extra £500M to local government in England:
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/gove ... r-councils
https://www.theguardian.com/society/202 ... ial-crisis

Probably better than not. But this sort of uncoordinated largesse is a terrible way to run anything that matters.

Jonathan