Changes at the CUK?

Bogawski

What is happening at CYUK HQ?

Post by Bogawski »

I live locally to the Guildford HQ, today I happened to hear a rumour CYUK were making longstanding , experienced employees, in their prime, redundant. Is this a pogrom to eradicate the last vestiges of the CTC?
I used to enjoy the CTC magazine and still read it all but it seems now to be more aimed at minority groups / diversity. Maybe these unfortunate people did not quite fit this new outlook, we should be told.
slowster

Re: What is happening at CYUK HQ?

Post by slowster »

Thread moved to 'Cycling UK Topics and Discussions'.
Psamathe

Re: What is happening at CYUK HQ?

Post by Psamathe »

Any news on this?

Ian
Philip Benstead

Mindset of CEO of CUK?

Post by Philip Benstead »

Given that Cycling UK has become a dynamic organisation, I wondered what is in store for CUK in the coming years.

With that in mind, I see that the CEO of CUK has written a book on charities and change management I would like to know what their mindset is,

Unfortunately, the book is not cheap. Does anyone have access to a cheap version of this book or has read it?

Charity Management: Leadership, Evolution, and Change

https://www.google.co.uk/books/edition/ ... frontcover
Philip Benstead | Life Member Former CTC Councillor/Trustee
Organizing events and representing cyclists' in southeast since 1988
Bikeability Instructor/Mechanic
Bonefishblues

Re: Mindset of CEO of CUK?

Post by Bonefishblues »

Speak to your local library to see if they can obtain a copy?
Philip Benstead

Changes at the CUK?

I understand there have been some redundancies at Cycling UK including Charry Allen.
In addition, Roger Geffen has left CUK HQ staff.
I understand from this month's CYCLE magazine page 7 that there are changes afoot.
I see there are many CUK jobs being advertised https://www.cyclinguk.org/cycling-uk-jobs

Community development officer (Greater Manchester) Home-based
Community development officer (Inverness) Home-based
Senior project officer Home-based
Head of brand, marketing, and communications Home-based
Senior marketing and communications project officer Home-based
Multimedia content producer Home-based
Public affairs officer Home-based
Public affairs manager Home-based
Events manager Home-based
Senior engagement officer Guildford Head Office
Head of product and sales Home-based

What conclusion can we draw?
PS. Given that Cycling UK has become a dynamic organisation, I wondered what is in store for CUK in the coming years.

With that in mind, I see that Sarah Mitchell the CEO of CUK has written a book on charities and change management.
I would like to know what her mindset is, unfortunately, the book is not cheap.

Does anyone have access to a cheap version of this book or has read it?

Charity Management: Leadership, Evolution, and Change (Charity and Non-Profit Studies) Hardcover – 29 July 2021
by Sarah Mitchell (Author)
1.0 1.0 out of 5 stars 1 rating
See all formats and editions
Purchase options and add-ons
Payment plans
Instalment options available

Britain faces challenges that weren’t imaginable thirty years ago, challenges which charities, rooted as they are in community action and the public good, should be ideally suited to tackle. But the charity sector seems paralysed. Even after a decade of cuts and immense social and environmental disruption charities are still fighting hard to maintain business as usual. To develop new responses to our changing world the charity sector desperately needs to reinvent itself, radically re-engaging with communities and developing powerful and scalable responses to the challenges facing the UK in the coming decades. What are the ties that bind charities, rendering them unable to re-invent themselves and to re-imagine their services, even when they face existential crises?

This book explores how charities in the UK really operate, as seen through the eyes of people who work in and with charities, and investigates what holds charities back from change. It demonstrates what we can learn from entrepreneurship and market disruption in the private sector, and points to ways in which the sector can re-imagine what it does and how it does this. It presents a new ambition for charities to break free of their history and imagine a new role for themselves in shaping the future for our society.

Presenting a new ambition for charities to imagine a new role for themselves in shaping the future for our society, this volume is especially valuable for academics and professionals in the fields of charity and non-profit management, organisational change, and strategic management.
sizbut

Re: Changes at the CUK?

Post by sizbut »

Just buy the paperback - its cheaper.
Philip Benstead

How will this affect CUK plans?

https://committees.parliament.uk/commit ... ril%202025.

Active travel: Government programme off-track as funding reductions hold back progress
3 November 2023

The Government is not on track to meet objectives to increase rates of active travel by 2025. In a report published today, the Public Accounts Committee (PAC) warns that funding cuts made this year by the Department for Transport (DfT) could hold back objectives to increase active travel, including cycling and walking. The report further warns that the impact of £2.3bn in funding for active travel infrastructure remains unclear.
DfT’s efforts to increase active travel have seen disappointingly slow progress. Objectives include a doubling of cycling rates, and a 6 percentage point increase in the proportion of children walking to school. There has been no sustained increase in cycling rates, and fewer children now walk to school than when targets were set. In March 2023, DfT announced a £233m reduction in dedicated active travel funding up to April 2025. The progress of Active travel objectives could be affected by funding reductions, despite DfT’s suggestion that funding has not been a key issue in its failure to achieve targets.
The report also warns that the Government has not done enough to understand the impact and benefits of the £2.3bn in taxpayers’ money it has spent on active travel infrastructure between 2016 and 2021. Too little is known about the quality of the infrastructure that has been built. DfT has an incomplete understanding of what has been built because the majority of schemes have cost less than the amount required to monitor or evaluate them. The PAC is calling on DfT to lay out its plans to evaluate active travel interventions by December.
Philip Benstead

sizbut wrote: 29 Jan 2024, 6:55pm Just buy the paperback - its cheaper.
£32 for 176 pages you must be kidding?
sizbut

Post by sizbut »

You quoted the hardback and asked for a cheaper version. I suggested the paperback at a quarter the price. What is wrong with that? I think you meant to say "Thank you for the suggestion" rather than the flippant and childish reply you gave.
Philip Benstead

sizbut wrote: 31 Jan 2024, 8:26pm You quoted the hardback and asked for a cheaper version. I suggested the paperback at a quarter the price. What is wrong with that? I think you meant to say "Thank you for the suggestion" rather than the flippant and childish reply you gave.
Apologies if I upset you. It's just that £30 odd for a book with no positive reviews is a bit much IMHO.
Philip Benstead

sizbut wrote: 29 Jan 2024, 6:55pm Just buy the paperback - its cheaper.
Westminster Bussiness Library has ordered a copy for me, it will arrive in about a month.