Hamstring strain

RJ1971

Hamstring strain

Post by RJ1971 »

Hi,

Bit of advice please. Been training hard as part of winter training and a week ago I felt a burning in my left hamstring after about 40 mins. It was on Zwift after I foolishly jumped on after work without time for full warm up. 10 mins later I could feel soreness start so I stopped as it gradually felt worse, which indicated a strain more than just tightness.
Rested and couple of days later tried gentle ride but again felt the burning again so stopped and rested for 5 days. Just tried a gentle 30 mins and while no pain felt the heat in the main area of the hamstring.
I’ve never felt burning in a muscle before. I am doing the right things with icing, resting etc. but anyone had this with a muscle strain? Really frustrated and don’t know whether to push little harder or totally rest.
Got a physio appointment end of next week but just wondered if anyone has useful advice before then

Thanks
Rob
briansnail

Re: Hamstring strain

Post by briansnail »

Stepping up the protein eg boiled eggs will ensure you have the nutrients to recover.The only other thing I learnt is if you go back to early you will delay recovery.Send someone out for a couple of 3 kg weights and do a substitute exercise.I would keep to walking until everything safely healed.Also avoid painkillers.
I ride Brompton,Hetchins 531
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Welcome

Please could you add a photo with one finger pointing at where the sensation of burning is strongest.

It's a good idea to write down questions to ask in the consultation so that you don't forget anything.

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

And until you have a diagnosis the general advice is to stay mobile but don't do anything that makes it worse or hurts.

Jonathan
RJ1971

Post by RJ1971 »

Thanks for replies. Will post a photo later but is central fairly high in the hamstring but not up on the tendon near the buttock.
Did a couple of very gentle bike rides yesterday and today. No pain / soreness but certainly feel the hot burning sensation. Is hard one to call as no pain but the hot feeling suggests something not right. Never had burning in a muscle before, normally feel pain to tell me to stop exercising.
Doing ice, foam roller and compression boots - anything to get back training (without pain of course) as got a hard sportive at start of Mech