sub 20 lbs Raleigh Record Ace

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
SimonCelsa

sub 20 lbs Raleigh Record Ace

Post by SimonCelsa »

Spring is just around the corner and I'd like to get the Raleigh Record Ace prepared for some light commuting and general sunny riding. i.e no rack or mudguards.

I enjoy riding this bike in fixed gear mode (48 x 19) & I have become fixated with getting the weight below 20 lbs (incl pedals) at reasonable expense. I am not a racer or a sprinter, just a high-ish middle aged geezer who enjoys a traditional lightweight bike.

To achieve sub 20 lbs I would need to change the wheelset. Currently it has 36h Mavic Open Sport rims on King Kong 219 R & F hubs with ACI stainless double butted spokes. Cheap & functional.

I'm looking to build a wheelset with 32h Ryde Pulse Sprint rims paired with Dia-Compe Gran Compe Small Flange hubs. Theoretically exactly 1500 grammes without rimtape or sprocket. These would cost around £200. Anyone care to comment on whether this wheelset would be 'any good', particularly any experience with the rims. I would be running a front caliper brake only but would use this sparingly, concentrating more on slowing down through the pedals.
Rim light 2.JPG
Rim light.JPG
borisface

Re: sub 20 lbs Raleigh Record Ace

Post by borisface »

You could be different (ie. lucky) but most upper middle aged chaps could easily shed half a stone to a stone in bodyfat. This will make far more difference, particularly uphill, than a couple of hundred grams on a wheelset. You'll feel better for it and probably derive some general health benefits as well. Plus you'll save yourself a couple of hundred quid.
SimonCelsa

Post by SimonCelsa »

Between 72 - 74 kgs, been like that since I was 18. I'm very much a bloke on a bike, as opposed to a cyclist, but I do really enjoy the feel of a lightweight machine!
slowster

Post by slowster »

Why 32h front and rear? I would have thought that it would make sense to have no more than 28h front.

The Dia-Compe front hub is not available in 28h, and 176g could probably be improved on.

http://www.diacompe.com.tw/product/gran-compe-sf-hub/

For example, The Cycle Clinic sells Bitex front hubs in silver with a choice of drillings, which are 86g, and even with the addition of a QR skewer or security skewer the weight should be less than the Dia-Compe front hub.

https://thecycleclinic.co.uk/collection ... ear-silver
SimonCelsa

Post by SimonCelsa »

Thanks, and good food for thought Slowster.

I went for the Dia Compe as they were readily available, quite light, reasonably priced, & a matching pair.

I went for the 32h as that was the spoke count of the Ryde Pulse rims. Can't find anything much lighter in alloy and of traditional construction.

Screw on fixed sprocket preferable.

I'll build them myself, and am comfortable with traditional lacing and spoke patterns, wouldn't want anything too complicated!
slowster

Post by slowster »

SimonCelsa wrote: 12 Feb 2024, 3:32pm I went for the 32h as that was the spoke count of the Ryde Pulse rims
Available in 28h from Spa, and 24h and 20h from DCR.

https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m20b0s116p4 ... lse-Sprint

https://dcrwheels.co.uk/products/rims/7 ... yde-pulse/
SimonCelsa

Post by SimonCelsa »

Thanks again Slowster, I didn't look very hard did I!!!
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

if you want light weight in a new set of wheels then Al nipples have to be on the radar for the front wheel (rear too, if use is definitely confined to dry weather). BTW I have recently figured out how to convert almost any conventional QR hub to be far more lightweight whilst retaining many of the original advantages of cup and cone bearings and steel axles. Using my approach (which is suitable for built wheels too), easy weight savings of 20-30g per hub should be possible.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
borisface

Post by borisface »

SimonCelsa wrote: 12 Feb 2024, 2:30pm Between 72 - 74 kgs, been like that since I was 18. I'm very much a bloke on a bike, as opposed to a cyclist, but I do really enjoy the feel of a lightweight machine!
Sounds like you're fairly light assuming you're not 4' 6"
SimonCelsa

Post by SimonCelsa »

Crikey, no I'm not that tall, 2' 6" at the last measuring!!
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

Will you be using 11 speed chain?
TheBomber

Post by TheBomber »

The screen shot doesn’t seem to mention which spokes. The likes of DT Revolution and Sapim Laser are noticeably lighter at the cost of more flexibility (and more cost). For me Sapim D-light are a happy middle ground between those ultra light models and regular db. Again they may push your budget though.
peetee

Post by peetee »

If you are prepared to ride sprint wheels I would suggest you keep an eye out on Retrobike forum for some old-school wheels. Lots of folks have included a classic bike in their fleet but are not prepared to risk riding on tubs so period wheels do crop up at a good price. I recently purchased a pair of 28h Mavic GL330 rims on Campagnolo Record hubs in excellent condition for £100.
Also, do be sure that your 19t sprocket is suitably lightened with plenty of big holes!
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
SimonCelsa

Post by SimonCelsa »

UpWrong wrote: 12 Feb 2024, 9:05pm Will you be using 11 speed chain?
Doubtful, probably 8 speed, I've got a few of them knocking around and although I seek lightness, it is not at any cost.
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

peetee wrote: 13 Feb 2024, 12:47am If you are prepared to ride sprint wheels I would suggest you keep an eye out on Retrobike forum for some old-school wheels.
I too was caught out by the name. In this case "sprint" is only a model name for a 700C wired on rim and not a sprint rim as we know it for sprints and tubs.