Importing a new or 2nd hand bike into the UK from the EU.

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
PH

Re: Importing a new or 2nd hand bike into the UK from the EU.

Post by PH »

thirdcrank wrote: 16 Feb 2024, 1:52pm
CliveyT wrote: 16 Feb 2024, 9:46am Two bits of advice i would offer- Don't seek legal advice off a cycling forum. There are almost certainly people on here that know exactly what the law says, there are people on here who have a good idea, there are people on here who don't know and some of them will still venture an opinion. Working out which is which is difficult and " some people on the internet said it would be OK" will not be looked at favourably by customs and excise.
Secondly don't go around telling people what you're planning to do on a publicly viewable forum? :)

My nomination to be preserved in "Non technical: Too good to lose"

Engraved on a brass plaque would be a bonus
I think it pretty rude. I'd say this forum is a great place to gather information, a lot of the posters provide links to the detail for others to check for themselves. I wouldn't rely on advice gathered here, or any other forum, but that isn't the same as not seeking it.
PH

Post by PH »

The main thing to avoid is paying the VAT twice. If you are collecting, you need to purchase from a retailer who participates in the EU VAT Free scheme. You still pay the VAT, but you reclaim it on leaving the EU.
https://taxation-customs.ec.europa.eu/g ... e%20refund.

On entry into the UK, you simply declare it online from 5 days before. Duty on bike is I think 14%, if the retailer or manufacturer can provide a country of origin certificate showing it was manufactured in the EU, the import duty is zero. The VAT is 20% on the purchase price and duty.
https://www.gov.uk/bringing-goods-into-uk-personal-use
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

If I've read it right.

EU duty rate 0% (other countries with an appropriate trade agreement eg Japan also 0%)
Countries without appropriate trade agreement 6%

https://www.trade-tariff.service.gov.uk ... country=DE
maanderx

Post by maanderx »

PH wrote: 16 Feb 2024, 6:44pm
thirdcrank wrote: 16 Feb 2024, 1:52pm
CliveyT wrote: 16 Feb 2024, 9:46am Two bits of advice i would offer- Don't seek legal advice off a cycling forum. There are almost certainly people on here that know exactly what the law says, there are people on here who have a good idea, there are people on here who don't know and some of them will still venture an opinion. Working out which is which is difficult and " some people on the internet said it would be OK" will not be looked at favourably by customs and excise.
Secondly don't go around telling people what you're planning to do on a publicly viewable forum? :)

My nomination to be preserved in "Non technical: Too good to lose"

Engraved on a brass plaque would be a bonus
I think it pretty rude. I'd say this forum is a great place to gather information, a lot of the posters provide links to the detail for others to check for themselves. I wouldn't rely on advice gathered here, or any other forum, but that isn't the same as not seeking it.
Blimey, people on this forum are so sensitive about stuff! :roll:
AKA De Sisti
PH

Post by PH »

simonhill wrote: 17 Feb 2024, 4:10am If I've read it right.

EU duty rate 0% (other countries with an appropriate trade agreement eg Japan also 0%)
Countries without appropriate trade agreement 6%

https://www.trade-tariff.service.gov.uk ... country=DE
The 6% is interesting, I'd assumed E-bikes were the same classification as other bikes.
The 0% only applies if you have a certificate of origin, it isn't enough to have bought it in the EU.
Bonzo Banana

Post by Bonzo Banana »

rareposter wrote: 16 Feb 2024, 3:34pm
Bonzo Banana wrote: 16 Feb 2024, 3:00pm Those Radon ebikes look like fairly generic Astro ebikes from Taiwan as sold under the Haibike brand and many other brands including Voodoo but with Radon's choice of geometry and components.
They're an in-house brand for discount-bikes.de (kind of like how Triban is the in-house brand for Decathlon). They're made by Cube so I'd assume (without actually being certain) that most Cube e-bike retailers would probably be OK dealing with them.

I'd echo the concerns about warranty though. If you have what is effectively a "secondhand" bike (secondhand by virtue of you trying to escape taxes by having a family member purchase it and then sell it to you) then you've got no warranty unless you go through a roundabout method of getting the bike back to the continent.
Bonzo Banana wrote: 16 Feb 2024, 3:00pm Surely better to get something with warranty here in the UK especially something so proprietary and has to be maintained by dealers for many of the parts.

There has been so many bargains recently with overstocked bikes it feels like a high risk and high cost strategy to buy abroad like this.
This - you can get a £10,000 Specialized Turbo Levo or Turbo Kenevo now for under £7000. Trek and Giant have similar offers. Limited sizes in some models but good discounts.
Canyon are well known for good value for money too, their Spectral is on offer at the moment (and unlike discount-bikes.de, they do ship to the UK!):
https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/electric-b ... e=M129_P07
Cube don't make any bikes though, again they rely on factories in Asia, they did partner with a Bangladesh factory where they jointly own the factory but the factory is run by Bangladesh's people and it just feels like commercial manipulation so they can state they have some factory ownership. A factory known for fairly poor quality bikes too typically at the lower end of pricing like Apollo's at Halfords which have been supplied by Meghna and the lower end Raleighs. Cube I believe are still using Giant for some of their high end road bikes and likely other factories in Asia for different price points. I would imagine if these ebikes are sourced through Cube it could be like some Aldi or Lidl power tools that are sourced through Einhell the importer but the products come from various Chinese factories. For most US and European brands its all a bit of con the engineering skills that develop and manufacture these bikes and ebikes is in Asia. At best we get assembly plants in Europe fitting together almost all components from Asia. Yes there is some design element to many brands but they still hand over those designs to the real engineers in Asia who have to work out how to make the bikes to that design in their factories with their manufacturing equipment.

I used to be a compliance officer for an importer and got to see a lot of famous brands on the same certification as the products we were importing. Cheaper for the factory to do one lot of certification that adds in the variants from various brands around the world rather than certify each different variant. However look at the marketing material and the German firms would be pushing German engineering and design, Japanese brands would be doing the same as would US brands but the product itself is 100% engineered, certified and manufactured in China. Like most importers we were just choosing the final spec we wanted and having a critical component list that included higher quality electronic components, copper windings rather than aluminium etc, US importers at the value end could choose cheaper components as only a 3 month warranty. Unfortunately most people have busy lives and more to think about so are easy to manipulate with marketing.

https://www.thedailystar.net/business/n ... es-1632277
slowster

Post by slowster »

Moderator note - A large number of off-topic posts which derailled the thread have been removed. The OP is a new member seeking advice, and it is especially inappropriate for individual posters to use such a thread to repeatedly post off-topic comments. The fact that the OP made a brief passing comment in one sentence about the impact of Brexit on their buying options is not a valid excuse to derail their thread.
Scu11y

Post by Scu11y »

So I've had a reply from discount-bikes and there's no way that they will let me purchase the bike and arrange shipment, so it looks like I'll be buying the bike and having it shipped to Rotterdam for me to collect and bring back in to the UK (through the red channel) I'm happy to pay whatever fees/tax on top, as I mentioned before it still financially worth it, my friend is going to pay for my ferry too as they wants a bit of painting done at their home and I'm a decorator, so it's a fair deal..
I'll be putting it through as a work expense so I should be able to claim some or all of it back when my self assessment is next done.

On a side note looks like I might have the only radon deft in the UK 😆
Thank you for all of your input, I know it got a little political, but I appreciate it all.

Happy riding guys n gals...
mjr

Post by mjr »

slowster wrote: 17 Feb 2024, 4:34pm Moderator note - A large number of off-topic posts which derailled the thread have been removed. The OP is a new member seeking advice, and it is especially inappropriate for individual posters to use such a thread to repeatedly post off-topic comments. The fact that the OP made a brief passing comment in one sentence about the impact of Brexit on their buying options is not a valid excuse to derail their thread.
I didn't see the destroyed posts, but does this mean an undocumented ban on criticism of Brexit is still ongoing, then? This whole question wouldn't exist without the national act of Russian -funded self-harm, so it looks rather strange to declare it off topic.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

mjr wrote: 17 Feb 2024, 10:53pm
slowster wrote: 17 Feb 2024, 4:34pm Moderator note - A large number of off-topic posts which derailled the thread have been removed. The OP is a new member seeking advice, and it is especially inappropriate for individual posters to use such a thread to repeatedly post off-topic comments. The fact that the OP made a brief passing comment in one sentence about the impact of Brexit on their buying options is not a valid excuse to derail their thread.
I didn't see the destroyed posts, but does this mean an undocumented ban on criticism of Brexit is still ongoing, then? This whole question wouldn't exist without the national act of Russian -funded self-harm, so it looks rather strange to declare it off topic.
There is no ban on discussing or criticising Brexit. The OPs thread was being derailed for a Brexit discussion that did not contribute to the topic under discussion.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

There was a time when "kick in the balls" would have brought down the wrath of at least one mod (often aided and abetted by an "adult" spambuster)

IMO, the broader point is that giving the type of advice sought is dodgy
nirakaro

Post by nirakaro »

From the OP -
Scu11y wrote: 16 Feb 2024, 8:40am... would I be able to get it back to the UK without being hit with all the import tax and vat.
Obviously I don't want to break any laws ...
What's dodgy about seeking, or offering, advice on that basis?
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

nirakaro wrote: 19 Feb 2024, 4:54pm From the OP -
Scu11y wrote: 16 Feb 2024, 8:40am... would I be able to get it back to the UK without being hit with all the import tax and vat.
Obviously I don't want to break any laws ...
What's dodgy about seeking, or offering, advice on that basis?
Only my opinion - as indicated by the "IMO"
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Back to orig or 2nd hand.

You could ring Border Force helpline* and ask for definitions of new and secondhand.

You could explain the different scenarios and see what they say. They don't bite.

* In presume they have one, HM C&E used to.
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

simonhill wrote: 20 Feb 2024, 1:17am Back to orig or 2nd hand.

You could ring Border Force helpline* and ask for definitions of new and secondhand.

You could explain the different scenarios and see what they say. They don't bite.

* In presume they have one, HM C&E used to.
They have one for registered businesses, but regular punters go to the digital assistant.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”